Range AFM Module

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who has one of the GM engines that does the 4 cylinder / 8 cylinder thing known technically as Automated Fuel Management or AFM might be interested in this product. I came across this right about the same time I bought a 2013 Silverado with a 5.3L AFM engine. It disables the 4 cylinder function with no changes to ECM, no tuning, no risk of warranty issues. Anyone who has looked into this issue, many have experienced oil consumption issues and other problems that are directly related to the AFM function. Even GM has several TSB's out regarding this problem. I chose to get a jump on this early in my Silverado ownership.

http://www.rangetechnology.com/pages/v8

I got a $20 off and free shipping by entering SILVERS in the discount code box on the order. I really like the product. No negative effect on fuel mileage.

Nice. Always love the various electronic tuning aids that become available as the tech advances.

Curious how we run these engines in fleet trucks and have no issues at all. No oil consumption ever in an OCI determined by the OLM. We are using M1 5w-30 dexos approved oil. Ours are 6.0 engines in 3500 Van chassis'. VERY heavy duty usage.

TSB's do not always reflect the issues for ALL purchasers. I suspect this issue is somewhat amplified by the Internet, as there are a LOT of AFM engines out there from GM.

In our 2009 Suburban (roughly 37,000 Miles) we noticed oil usage when taking long highway trips... Would use about a quart after approximately 2K miles. After much research on "how" to disable the AFM, I stumbled onto the information regarding the aforementioned Range module. Bought one, and it has STOPPED the usage in it's tracks - period. Not sure how it will work with higher mileage engines, but it sure worked for ours.

I just have the position, that I paid for 8 cylinders, and want them all to work. I noticed right out of the gate when I purchased the 2013 Silverado with a 5.3L, the change when it would do the 4 /8 cylinder game. I suppose if one was only running at freeway speeds that they might not, but I live rural and lots of hilly two lane roads and when accelerating, it was noticeable. I put the Range module on at 240 miles on the odometer and like the difference. Then I found out about all the associated problems some have had with AFM on these engines. Figured I would try to dodge that bullet. There are a lot of anecdotal stories of oil consumption slowing to stopping once the AFM is disabled. Either by this product or an ECM tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back