Random thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's a few thoughts I've had. Looking for opinions.

1. With the latest rash of ancient threads popping up pointlessly, I think it would be cool to have a large "thread digger" smilie.

2. (I've mentioned before) Fix/edit the current smilies. There are a few duplicates and 1 mislabeled.

3. I noticed there is not a forum section for "site improvement suggestions." I think there should be one. This topic would be a candidate for it.

What do you think? Just trying to improve the site / make it more fun. Don't reply with "too much time on your hands." I know I do.
grin2.gif

Too much time on my hands, too, so I'll reply...

Originally Posted By: tony1679
3. I noticed there is not a forum section for "site improvement suggestions." I think there should be one. This topic would be a candidate for it.

There is a General Board Information section:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/26/1/General_Board_Information

but sadly only mods can start topics there.

Quote:
2. (I've mentioned before) Fix/edit the current smilies. There are a few duplicates and 1 mislabeled.

You have to understand that the people who graciously volunteer their time to run this board do so for free and they have real paid jobs aside from it. So this is just charity work that they're doing here on BITOG in their spare time. Tending to trivial things like duplicate smileys is probably the last thing on their to do list. No forum is perfect.

Quote:
1. With the latest rash of ancient threads popping up pointlessly, I think it would be cool to have a large "thread digger" smilie.

Or you could just link to your favorite icon that you've already found somewhere on the web...

digger-smiley-emoticon.gif

Well at least Quattro tried to help... Thanks.

I was just hoping to bring light to these things. Add them to the "to do" list.

I know that no forum is perfect, but why not try to be?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

QP, That looks like a funeral.....

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

QP, That looks like a funeral.....

OK, go find a better one.
smile.gif

thread-resurrection.jpg

There is a mod for VB that locks a thread 6 months after the last reply. Although I think it would be even better if the op could resurrect the thread, it seems a worthwhile thing...not sure if it is possible with this software...

Is this the thread where I can point out that the eye-rolling smiley is broken? Clicking it inserts a smirk (
smirk.gif
) even though the eye-roll gif is named "smirk2". This emote would be very helpful for posters like myself who frequently make use of subtlety and sarcasm, only to see the average BITOGer completely miss the point.

Originally Posted By: LazyPrizm
Is this the thread where I can point out that the eye-rolling smiley is broken? Clicking it inserts a smirk (
smirk.gif
) even though the eye-roll gif is named "smirk2". This emote would be very helpful for posters like myself who frequently make use of subtlety and sarcasm, only to see the average BITOGer completely miss the point.

Yes, that's the one that I said was mislabeled.

Who cares when an old thread is dug up if the post is sensible?

I don't understand people when someone revives a thread with a legit post and then a huge deal is made of it because the thread is a year or so old. Then to top it off, that same person could make a brand new thread only for the the posting police to tell them to search the forum.
21.gif

Necro'ing threads wouldn't be so bad if people would read threads to the end before posting replies. Otherwise people don't see the date, reply to an ancient question asked by an OP who doesn't care anymore (or isn't around) and you have to click through a bunch of pages to find where the discussion is actually happening.

But it's definitely not a black or white thing, you make a good point about the posting police.

And of course there's the folks who get offended at something you say before a lock, search your post history for posts they disagree with, then ressurect a 5 month old thread to try to troll you into an argument.

Dlundblad and lazyprizm - I think you both missed my point. I was not complaining about thread diggers. I was asking about a couple of smilies and suggesting to add a forum section. But since you went there, thread digging is against the forum rules. And your so called thread police is a moderator's job. Mods can't oversee every thread. That's why some try to help.

Lazyprizm - I completely agree about reading posts thoroughly before posting. But you seemed to break that rule here...

Originally Posted By: tony1679
Dlundblad and lazyprizm - I think you both missed my point. I was not complaining about thread diggers. I was asking about a couple of smilies and suggesting to add a forum section. But since you went there, thread digging is against the forum rules. And your so called thread police is a moderator's job. Mods can't oversee every thread. That's why some try to help.

Lazyprizm - I completely agree about reading posts thoroughly before posting. But you seemed to break that rule here...

I apologize for missing your point. I got the impression the new icon was a way to tell people they made a stupid post. Anyways I have never seen a moderator complain over a revived thread if the post was sensible. I couldn't find this in the list of rules, (it could very well be there) but I would guess some would prefer a few posts onto a thread rather than a whole new thread over the same topic. That would make future searches that much easier IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back