Random Orbital Buffer Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a random orbital buffer from Three Stooges Auto (Pep Boys). I have also washede and polished my car by hand.

Recently, many people have been saying that random orbital polishers/buffers are safe. I am still reluctant to use the thing. What has been your experience?

yes and no. yes they are safe if you know how to use it. and no its not safe if you dont know how to use them.

I have to ask what kind are you talking about. the ones that look like angle grinders or the ones that are held in the palm of your hand?

Its very, very difficult to screw things up with an orbital buffer. If you are still worried about it and you have a variable speed unit, use the lower speed. Chances are excellent that Three Stooges doesn't sell anything powerful enough to do any damage anyway. Just so long as the surface is clean (so the pad doesn't pick stuff up and grind it back into the finish) you should be alright - just don't keep it in the same place for long, keep moving it around.

quote:

Originally posted by VTEC01EX:
Its very, very difficult to screw things up with an orbital buffer. If you are still worried about it and you have a variable speed unit, use the lower speed. Chances are excellent that Three Stooges doesn't sell anything powerful enough to do any damage anyway. Just so long as the surface is clean (so the pad doesn't pick stuff up and grind it back into the finish) you should be alright - just don't keep it in the same place for long, keep moving it around.

Thanks. I might give it a try this weekend.

I started using a buffer before I had a drivers license. I've buffed hundreds of cars with the thing. They are plenty safe as long as a little common sense is used. For example, be careful of the handle when using the buffer at odd angles, as the handle may come in contact with the car while buffing. Also keep an eye on the terrycloth buffer bonnet to make sure it does not come off while buffing, otherwise the foam pad will contact the paint and leave minor scuff marks (which can be removed later).

A few other usage tips for orbital buffers:

*Do not throw the buffer at your car, no matter how angry you are.
*Do not play "Buffer Bombing Run" where you stand on your roof and drop the buffer on certain parts of your car for points.
*Do not use the buffer as a soccer ball and your open car window as a goal.
*Do not pour an entire bottle of wax on your buffer bonnet, then throw the buffer at your windshield to make monster bird splats.

I hope you find these tips helpful. Feel free to hit us with any more questions.

That looks like exactly the same one I have, except mine is yellow instead of blue (Mine was a generic from I believe K-Mart, I forget the exact brand). It's worked wonderfully for a few years now, no complaints.

I think that the buffer is going to work out for me. I only paid $11 for it after the rebate!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back