Random....Ford Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for starting a stupid thread (okay, another stupid thread), but I just had to make a comment. A neighbor down the street just got a brand new red Ford Fusion. It's the first one I've seen in person. The redesign turns it into a [censored] nice looking car! Looks a lot better in person than it does online or in magazines. Really! The front grill looks 587% better and really works this time. Guess Ford felt the pressure from the Malibu.

That is all...

It is a good looking car I think! My neighbor just got one also. Looks cool with the dual exhaust! Plus Carl Edwards drives one
11.gif

Agreed. I noticed one on a long freeway drive last weekend. The fact that I noticed a beige Ford Fusion says a lot about how well they did the redesign.

Fusion was my second choice after the Accord. I just couldn't get over the "not made in USA" part of it.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I just couldn't get over the "not made in USA" part of it.

That is its major problem with people that I talk to about a Fusion.

Less than 50% USA content made out of the US?

Hard sell for a lot of people.

Of course, there has been ALOT more reaction to people NEVER buying anything GM or Chrysler now MAY help Ford.

Once GM and Chrysler both are pretty well gone, Ford will benefit. (as will Honda , Toyota)

I just wish that they made it to fit tall people. I'm 6'2" and I don't have enough leg/head room unless I tilt the seat back.
smirk2.gif

It's a very nice car otherwise...
thumbsup2.gif

I don't care where a car is assembled. Heck, my 1966 Dodge was built at the old Windsor ON plant, not inside the US proper. I just don't want my $$ ultimately going to Japan or Korea rather than US companies. Mazda would be a partial exception since its largely Ford-owned anyway, so the Fusion gets a partial pass from me. And its a *nice* driving car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I don't care where a car is assembled. Heck, my 1966 Dodge was built at the old Windsor ON plant, not inside the US proper. I just don't want my $$ ultimately going to Japan or Korea rather than US companies. Mazda would be a partial exception since its largely Ford-owned anyway, so the Fusion gets a partial pass from me. And its a *nice* driving car.

Mazda recently purchased back most of Ford's ownership. Ford "owned" just over one-third at one time, giving them the majority stake in Japan. I think they're down to like 15% to 20% now and Mazda has severed all ties to Ford Motor Credit...

And the Ford Fusion is an excellent car, and just the beginning of a new wave of Fords Europe has been raving about for almost a decade. Such as the Focus that was a complete redesign there that we missed...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It is a good looking car I think! My neighbor just got one also. Looks cool with the dual exhaust! Plus Carl Edwards drives one
11.gif

Who is Carl Edwards?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Of course, there has been ALOT more reaction to people NEVER buying anything GM or Chrysler now MAY help Ford.

Once GM and Chrysler both are pretty well gone, Ford will benefit. (as will Honda , Toyota)

I'm going to look at a Fusion someday maybe not a '09 , but will. I still won't pay the ridiculous prices for parts for ANY foreign make, wether it was built here or not (profits still go back to Japan, wherever) thanks to a former acquaintance actually getting ticked at the already overcharging Honda dealer about the fact the body parts were so expensive when he bought a totaled '85 accord (this was 1988 or 89), and recently (2006) having had to pay $93 for one LR caliper not even loaded for my wife's '93 diamante. Glad that car is gone.

The nose took some getting used to, but I think they look really good. I'd like to drive one with the 240-horse 3.0. I loved that engine in the Mazda 6 even when it had only 212 hp.

Originally Posted By: RacerE7773
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I'm going to look at a Fusion someday maybe not a '09 , but will. I still won't pay the ridiculous prices for parts for ANY foreign make, wether it was built here or not (profits still go back to Japan, wherever) thanks to a former acquaintance actually getting ticked at the already overcharging Honda dealer about the fact the body parts were so expensive when he bought a totaled '85 accord (this was 1988 or 89), and recently (2006) having had to pay $93 for one LR caliper not even loaded for my wife's '93 diamante. Glad that car is gone.

Any dealer, foreign or domestic (for whatever that really means anymore) is going to overcharge you. The caveat is that you can sometimes get parts for older models are a bargain even at dealerships...

I agree. The Sport Package especially looks good. They finally got rid of the stupid clear tails. The grill is still a little "too much" for me, but it is better. (and I owned a 1st gen Fusion.)

I did not buy a Fusion for the very reason it was majority built in a country other than the US or Canada.I rented one on a trip to Vegas and started looking when we returned. The whole Mexico thing ended the research.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
large_NASCAR%20Dangerous%20Talladega%20Auto%20Racing.JPG

crackmeup2.gif
Yep thats Carl all right. Guess his Fusion has a 5 star crash rating too.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
large_NASCAR%20Dangerous%20Talladega%20Auto%20Racing.JPG

crackmeup2.gif
Yep thats Carl all right. Guess his Fusion has a 5 star crash rating too.
grin2.gif

Well, he did run across the finish line after he got out of that car. He is the coolest guy you'll ever meet if you get the chance. I was lucky enough to go to college with him for a brief stint.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I just wish that they made it to fit tall people. I'm 6'2" and I don't have enough leg/head room unless I tilt the seat back.
smirk2.gif

It's a very nice car otherwise...
thumbsup2.gif

Weird, 6'3" and I'm plenty comfortable n a Fusion. You do realize the seat lowers, right?

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I agree completely. In the end, Ford (and GM and Chrysler) is a company that does far more for the U.S. economy than any of the import brands. Ford does the bulk of their R&D for GLOBAL products here in the US, the imports only develop a model here and there in the US, usually models that are US specific. The domestics still have several times the amount of domestic assembly plants. Several times the US white collar work force. Several times the US blue collar work force. Despite what some think, the location of the company's headquarters still matters, it determines where the big bucks are going. And while there are Toyota and Honda plants in the US which support the US economy, they were given hundreds of millions dollars of US taxpayer money to lure them (subsidies) in the first place.

Point of final assembly is just one part of the equation. People have become too myopic in their view of these things, IMO.

Great post ben99gt, I agree 100%. The Fusion has turned out to be an incredibly reliable car for Ford and its owners. Saw a report recently that in its first year it had less warranty claims than ANY new Ford product ever released! These cars flat spank most of the imports in quality. I would say that Ford trained those Mexican assembly line workers very well and the results back that up. Drive One people!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back