Random....Ford Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: brianl703
Do you wear size 14 shoes? I do.

Me too
grin2.gif

And while there are Toyota and Honda plants in the US which support the US economy, they were given hundreds of millions dollars of US taxpayer money to lure them (subsidies) in the first place.

Point of final assembly is just one part of the equation. People have become too myopic in their view of these things, IMO. [/quote]

Could I get your source of information about US Taxpayer millions in subsidies going to transplants?

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

I agree completely. In the end, Ford (and GM and Chrysler) is a company that does far more for the U.S. economy than any of the import brands. Ford does the bulk of their R&D for GLOBAL products here in the US, the imports only develop a model here and there in the US, usually models that are US specific. The domestics still have several times the amount of domestic assembly plants. Several times the US white collar work force. Several times the US blue collar work force. Despite what some think, the location of the company's headquarters still matters, it determines where the big bucks are going. And while there are Toyota and Honda plants in the US which support the US economy, they were given hundreds of millions dollars of US taxpayer money to lure them (subsidies) in the first place.

Point of final assembly is just one part of the equation. People have become too myopic in their view of these things, IMO.

You view has been out of date for over 20 years...do some research where parts are made and stop believing whet you read on the sticker. GM and Chrysler and the UAW are now screwing over more American investors and taxpayers than all the Asian automakers combined. Plus they are breaking all the bankruptcy debtor laws to do it.

Absolutely right about sourcing parts. Heck, Toyota has a casting plant up the road from me in Jackson, TN where they make engine blocks.

As far as the big bucks going to the US automakers headquarters, true. Trouble is, it is billions of taxpayer dollars that are going to the US automakers. What the foreign manufacturers got was millions in taxbreaks, not cash. from local governments in order to increase the number of well-paying jobs and thereby offset the tax breaks.

Ford didn't take a dime of TARP funds. That + the new Mustang, F150, Fusion and Taurus put them at the top of my list.

They'd have to de-tune it so it wouldn't outrun the Taurus SHO. It would definitely be an entertaining package, if it's AWD. I wouldn't want that much power going through FWD.

Originally Posted By: ctc
Ford didn't take a dime of TARP funds.

and ford is proud to point that out. it really blows the wind out of the sails of customers that demand stuff be covered out of warranty since we supposedly got TARP money.

Yeah the media did a horrible job covering the auto bailout in the first week or so. They didn't mention that Ford wasn't taking funds. They just said "Detroit gets bailout!". I think it has become more clear lately with the bankruptcies of the 2 that did take TARP funds.

Amazing that Ford can finally design a good looking, decent car and they build it in Mexico. Proof that the Big Three (what is left) can not build profitable cars with the UAW.

Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Subaru, Mercedes, Hyundai, etc. can all design and build excellent, profitable products here in the US with American workers. However, Ford is moving to Mexico and GM was looking to China.

I respect that Ford did not take bail out money and I understand they are doing what they need to survive, however, there is no way anyone can say that the Fusion is a domstic vehicle and by purchasing one you are "buying American".

Originally Posted By: Cardinal49

I respect that Ford did not take bail out money and I understand they are doing what they need to survive, however, there is no way anyone can say that the Fusion is a domstic vehicle and by purchasing one you are "buying American".
Agree 100%

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: Cardinal49

Agree 100%

And where do all the parts that are assembled in mexico come from? Where do the taxes paid on revenue made in the US go to? Where do they still employ thousands of Americans?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ctc
Yeah the media did a horrible job covering the auto bailout in the first week or so. They didn't mention that Ford wasn't taking funds. They just said "Detroit gets bailout!". I think it has become more clear lately with the bankruptcies of the 2 that did take TARP funds.

I agree 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back