Random....Ford Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

I agree completely. In the end, Ford (and GM and Chrysler) is a company that does far more for the U.S. economy than any of the import brands. Ford does the bulk of their R&D for GLOBAL products here in the US, the imports only develop a model here and there in the US, usually models that are US specific. The domestics still have several times the amount of domestic assembly plants. Several times the US white collar work force. Several times the US blue collar work force. Despite what some think, the location of the company's headquarters still matters, it determines where the big bucks are going. And while there are Toyota and Honda plants in the US which support the US economy, they were given hundreds of millions dollars of US taxpayer money to lure them (subsidies) in the first place.

Point of final assembly is just one part of the equation. People have become too myopic in their view of these things, IMO.

You view has been out of date for over 20 years...do some research where parts are made and stop believing whet you read on the sticker. GM and Chrysler and the UAW are now screwing over more American investors and taxpayers than all the Asian automakers combined. Plus they are breaking all the bankruptcy debtor laws to do it.

Last edited:
The Japanese gov't helps to subsidise their auto industries with both direct contributions, and keeping the Yen artificially low vs the dollar which gives the makers a nice profit boost on cars that they do import to the US.

Originally Posted By: PT1
You view has been out of date for over 20 years...do some research where parts are made and stop believing whet you read on the sticker. GM and Chrysler and the UAW are now screwing over more American investors and taxpayers than all the Asian automakers combined. Plus they are breaking all the bankruptcy debtor laws to do it.

Actually, all of that info is current. Perhaps it is you that should do some research.

Where parts are made? Who do you think places more order from US suppliers, Ford or Toyota?

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
large_NASCAR%20Dangerous%20Talladega%20Auto%20Racing.JPG

Is he driving or flying that car?

I was behind a Fusion today and it looked so much better then the previous generation.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I just wish that they made it to fit tall people. I'm 6'2" and I don't have enough leg/head room unless I tilt the seat back.
smirk2.gif

It's a very nice car otherwise...
thumbsup2.gif

Weird, 6'3" and I'm plenty comfortable n a Fusion. You do realize the seat lowers, right?

The key here is not total height, but sitting height. Amongst persons of a given total height, there is great variance in leg and torso lengths, and therefore, great variance in sitting height. I'm 6' tall, and back in 84, my flying career almost ended early when the Navy docs found I was a tad above permitted sitting height (a second measurement and a nice doc saved me...). I have a very long torso and relatively stumpy legs. I also have a problem with almost any car, incl my wife's Avalon, that has a sunroof -- they always eat up so much headroom that I'm constantly brushing against it. And that's with the seat all the way down.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I just wish that they made it to fit tall people. I'm 6'2" and I don't have enough leg/head room unless I tilt the seat back.
smirk2.gif

It's a very nice car otherwise...
thumbsup2.gif

Weird, 6'3" and I'm plenty comfortable n a Fusion. You do realize the seat lowers, right?

Yes. I know that... I could fit in the car, but my head was very close to the ceiling and my legs didn't feel comfortable in the position they were in.

I'm a solid built guy that is tall from the waste up it would seem and I have back problems. Not many cars out there today I can fit in. I had to make custom seat extenders for my Santa Fe because of the leg room situation but the head room was great.

It's not that I'm picking on Ford, it seems that my body doesn't fit into most MFG's vehicles unless it's a van or medium SUV.

wink.gif

ben99 -- yesterday's 3:06 post is logical and factual. how dare you post that on a bitog board !the funny thing is that when all the big three bashing was going on, the ones that wanted the companies to die,conveniently never mentioned the fact that the states subsidized the foreign carmakers' plants with taxpayer money. curse you for speaking fact and logic. but -- opinions vary.
seriously -- all that i've read, and heard from a couple of fusion owners, has been good.my neighbor bought an '07, and loves it.they asked me to sit in it to check for room before they bought it.i'm 6'2", and i set my driving position, then went to the back seat behind the driver, and had lots of room there, as well. it surprised all of us, for a mid-sized car to have that much room. some people don't like the grill area, but taste and opinions are subjective. to each his own.

I'm 6'3", I fit in the following cars just fine:

1988 Ford Mustang (although if the seat went back just another inch it would be better)
1995 Ford Contour
2006 Saab 93

I believe I have longer legs and arms. A friend of mine who is the same height as I am cannot reach his basketball rim, but I can. I wear pants with a 34" inseam. Always wanted to find a chart of average inseam vs. height but never did.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I don't care where a car is assembled. Heck, my 1966 Dodge was built at the old Windsor ON plant, not inside the US proper. I just don't want my $$ ultimately going to Japan or Korea rather than US companies. Mazda would be a partial exception since its largely Ford-owned anyway, so the Fusion gets a partial pass from me. And its a *nice* driving car.

I agree completely. In the end, Ford (and GM and Chrysler) is a company that does far more for the U.S. economy than any of the import brands. Ford does the bulk of their R&D for GLOBAL products here in the US, the imports only develop a model here and there in the US, usually models that are US specific. The domestics still have several times the amount of domestic assembly plants. Several times the US white collar work force. Several times the US blue collar work force. Despite what some think, the location of the company's headquarters still matters, it determines where the big bucks are going. And while there are Toyota and Honda plants in the US which support the US economy, they were given hundreds of millions dollars of US taxpayer money to lure them (subsidies) in the first place.

Point of final assembly is just one part of the equation. People have become too myopic in their view of these things, IMO.
01.gif
That's how I feel.

Originally Posted By: yeti
brian -- geez - a 14 ! i thought my foot was big at size 13. fun trying to find shoes, isn't it ?

change your screen name to YETI jr. ?

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Do you wear size 14 shoes? I do.

Yup...I can get away with a 13 4E in some brands, but have to wear a 14 in most brands.

hone -- maybe you're right. but -- i've had the nickname for about 25 years. still - size 14 ... that's a big foot!
at any rate, people looking for a mid size car should drive a few different brands, including the fusion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back