Random car find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
classic car. Preferred the caprice in black, but this will do.
Is that a 4.3L V8 equipped vehicle?

4.3l is a v6

No, there is a 4.3L V6 (262 ci) that is a 5.7 (350ci) with two cylinders chopped off - this was used in trucks, not sure if it was used in cars.

There was also a 4.3L v8, which was I guess a smaller brother to the 5.0L v8, which when two cylinders were lobbed off I suppose became the common 3.8L v6. (dont quote me on it, I just did the rough math)

There was a GM 4.3 v6 and a 4.3 V8

when someone says "4.3" they are referring to the chevy V6. the limited 267ci V8 was never referred to this way, and it actually converts out to 4.4 liters anyway.
the GM 3.8 is the buick 231.
the 4.3 was arrived at by taking a 350 (5.7l) and taking 2 cyl off.

There was a 4.3L 265 cid V8, there was a 4.3L 262 cid V8 and a 4.4L 267 cid V8 variant of the Small Block Chevy. Maybe more throughout the history of the SBC

WOW that looks clean. Someone could have fun with that. 6" lift, 20" wheels (KIDDING). But yeah some paint and R&R and new rubber on steelies, exhaust.... wonder what engine it really has? A worked-over 305 would be a blast in this thing! Get the air to blow cold, redo the seats.... could be a killer ride.

I like extending the life of an old car.

Miss my 93 ZJ....

Mike

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Let's not forget the 4.3V8 of the last generation B-Body Caprice. It was a "baby Lt-1" complete with opti-spark.

As I recall the NYC taxi fleets and the NYC cops [city patrol cars only] used the 4.3 V8.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
There was a 4.3L 265 cid V8, there was a 4.3L 262 cid V8 and a 4.4L 267 cid V8 variant of the Small Block Chevy. Maybe more throughout the history of the SBC

there were just 10 factory SBC displacements:

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: javacontour

there were just 10 factory SBC displacements:

Yep, I was just focused on the ones in the 4.3 and 4.4L range.

Originally Posted By: S2500Dog
Man that a clean ride right there. I would buy it for $1,000 if I were you.
thumbsup2.gif

+1

THat Bonnie just needs some love...

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
I've already been googling what to do with it if I get it, and e-mailed the dealer.

Let's hope he's not on BITOG.
grin2.gif

Let us know how it works out.

I've already been googling what to do with it if I get it, and e-mailed the dealer.

Check the option codes for F41 suspension. If it doesn't have it, that'd be one of the first upgrades I did. Stock suspension is pretty soggy on these cars. My brother's Cutlass Supreme (Identical chassis) had the F41, and I put slightly stiffer rear springs (Moogs), along with stock front, and decent shocks all around. They come with decent factory sway bars (front and rear) with the F41 - stock suspension just has a small front one. Then we ran 215/70R-15 tires and it was an excellent handler.

Biggest improvement for the engine was the dual exhaust. I modded the trans cross member to run true duals into magnaflows. It sounded great and was much improved power. Like I said, check all the basic tune-up stuff first, I bet that car will need it, especially being a low mile car. I was able to advance the base timing a bit without it pinging on regular and it made a difference.

It has F40 "heavy duty springs and shocks" for suspension, and the heavy duty cooling system listed on the option codes.

It has F40 "heavy duty springs and shocks" for suspension, and the heavy duty cooling system listed on the option codes.

The F40 is better than the stock, but not as good as the F41. You should be able to find some decent sway bars in the aftermarket though. You may have to do some drilling to install a rear bar.

The HD cooling is good as well, my brother's Cutlass had this as well. It had a decent sized 3-core rad. Stock is a 2-core.

I was thinking ADDCO bars, the higher rate F-body or S-10 Moog springs (stock height but stiffer), and better monotube shocks.

From what I have read, people who have put much stiffer springs and shocks on G-bodies still generally don't complain about ride. It also doesn't hurt that everything from that era came from the same GM parts bin. If I could find a wrecked Firebird GTA, I could get the rims, steering box, springs and rear end.

Sheriff Buford T. Justice would approve of that car in light metallic blue. Check the third Bandit movie for its appearance as the shining light of freedom piloted by Jackie himself.

I almost bought one at a towing impound auction back in '02. The auctioneer ignored me as I shouted $50! $50! $50! and sold it to the scrapyard guy for $25 instead. I was livid and never returned to that tow yard again. The car had a busted column and ran and drove. No smoke, no ticks, no knocks, no leaks even. It was light green inside and out and was an '85 I think. 305/overdrive, like this one you found. Only cosmetic problems were badly faded paint and one of the rear door windows (the one that doesn't roll down) was knocked out. Thief was too lazy to twist open one of the wing windows.

Last edited:
I was thinking ADDCO bars, the higher rate F-body or S-10 Moog springs (stock height but stiffer), and better monotube shocks.

From what I have read, people who have put much stiffer springs and shocks on G-bodies still generally don't complain about ride. It also doesn't hurt that everything from that era came from the same GM parts bin. If I could find a wrecked Firebird GTA, I could get the rims, steering box, springs and rear end.

The screens on the headlights and your location makes me wonder how your roads are. Stiff bars can make it skittish on rough surfaces. Better shocks would help, something with sophisticated valving so it allows easy movement on sharp bumps but still controls whole body movement of the car.

Addco bars would be good. I just bought a set for my Torino, and they are nice quality. They are probably bigger than the stock F41 bars too (I know the set for my Torino is bigger than anything the factory offered). As for shocks, I recommend the Bilstiens. I’ve ordered them from Essex Distributors in BC without issue.

The springs in my brother’s Cutlass were the same as a stock Monte SS. Not too bad, but definitely could be stiffer in the front. But his car was his daily driver, so we didn’t go any stiffer especially with the roads we have around here (for a while he was in rural area with the car, and the car was awesome on dirt roads). Camaro and S10 springs are much stiffer. For rear springs your stuck with G-body since Camaros don’t have pig tails on both spring ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back