Random car find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly a classic, but for a thousand cash with 48,000 miles when I'm in the neighbourhood this weekend, I'll take a look. It's a G-body so there are a lot of bolt-ons related to the Monte Carlos, etc. of the 1980s.

Build sheet: http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=2G2GR69H1G2209244

http://www.strathmoremotors.com/ou/strat...nneville/P3221A

P3221A_2_lg.jpg

classic car. Preferred the caprice in black, but this will do.
Is that a 4.3L V8 equipped vehicle?

305 with the 200R4 overdrive, 8.5" GM open rear end with a 2.73 ratio.

Heavy duty springs and cooling, no vinyl top.

48,000 miles and might be able to get it for $1,000...it doesn't appear to have surface rust either.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

4.3l is a v6

Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey

4.3l is a v6

Actually, there was the 267 cubic inch Chevrolet V8 with a 3.5" bore and 3.48" stroke used by GM in the early 1980s when gas prices spiked again. Ford had a 255, Pontiac a 260 and Oldsmobile a 265.

All of them were gutless and none lasted more than four years. My mom had a 1979 Malibu with the 267.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey

4.3l is a v6

No, there is a 4.3L V6 (262 ci) that is a 5.7 (350ci) with two cylinders chopped off - this was used in trucks, not sure if it was used in cars.

There was also a 4.3L v8, which was I guess a smaller brother to the 5.0L v8, which when two cylinders were lobbed off I suppose became the common 3.8L v6. (dont quote me on it, I just did the rough math)

There was a GM 4.3 v6 and a 4.3 V8

GM used a couple of V6's in that time frame in cars: a 229 and a 231. I had a 1980 Impala with the 229. completely gutless. nice roomy car though - heh heh heh

Let's not forget the 4.3V8 of the last generation B-Body Caprice. It was a "baby Lt-1" complete with opti-spark.

Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
Gotta love the rock guards on the headlamps.

Wish they made them for varied applications now. Sealed beams arent great in terms of light, but the benefit was that they were cheap.

Think about the cost of a sealed beam versus what you have to pay now when one of these "integrated" headlights gets a rock!

Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
Gotta love the rock guards on the headlamps.

Wish they made them for varied applications now. Sealed beams arent great in terms of light, but the benefit was that they were cheap.

OP could get some "autopal" E-code conversions on ebay real cheap, $25 a pair or so. I have one of their little round bulbs and it's decently made. Stuffed it in place of a broken fog light on my 240d.
wink.gif

My cadillac cimarron had the 4 rectangular sealed beam setup, four high beam filaments. Nice on country roads.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
A survivor of the C4C program!

We didn't have 'C4C' up here.

You still see cars like that ocassionally, but they become rarer every year.

I'd grab it, hard to find one w/o much rust on it.

Definitely a 7.5 inch rear in that car, not a 8.5". My brother just sold his '86 Cutlass 4 door this year to a friend (bought a new Tacoma). His has just shy of 300K kms on the 305 which still ran great, as did the original 200-4R. With custom true dual exhaust, open element air cleaner, the F41 suspension package (plus udgrade aftermarket shocks, and HD rear springs), and oversized BFG T/A's the car was decent performer. Easily knocked down over 30 MPG (imp) on the highway.

If you pick it up, be prepared to tune the engine up. When my brother first bought his, I had to do cap, rotor, plugs, set the timing, vacuum advance, adjust the carb, fuel filter, airfilter etc. At first it was a dog, after all the work, it ran great. He drove his for 7 years, no major issues. I also did a carb rebuild to his at one point, which made a difference.

Check the rear frame rails on these cars. They will literally fall off if rusted excessively.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back