ran power steering pump half-dry for short time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will any damage occur if I ran the power steering pump half-dry after changing the fluid?

I topped the reservoir off but when I turned the car on it sucked the p/s fluid while turning the wheel, which emptied the reservoir and caused loud whining noise.

I turned the wheel about 5 times before realizing the reservoir was empty and then filled it up.

After turning the wheel more times after the whining noise eventually went away and normal steering was back.

I'm wondering if I would have done any damage to the p/s pump even if it was ran half-dry for a short time?

There is no obvious damage since the p/s works perfectly.

Last edited:
What you hear should tell the story. Is the pump noisy? Now figure out why you're losing PS fluid.

Running it dry is the standard procedure to do a PS fluid flush on many vehicles. I've done it myself following the directions from a 1995 Integra factory service manual. The procedure on many cars is to remove the return hose (connect it to a collection bottle) and run the PS pump by turning lock to lock (some jack up the car so the tires don't rub) until no more fluid comes out. That literally removes around 80-90% of the fluid and can sound horrible. But for a short amount of time the residual PS fluid should be enough to protect it from any damage.

In my experience they purge any air in the system rather quickly.

I would raise the front tires off the ground and turn the steering wheel lock to lock. No need to run the engine.
I'm seriously doubt you hurt anything.
Just fill 'er back up and bleed the system.

Good luck.

I've seen quite a few pumps run out of oil and low on oil and you top them up. They complain a bit until the air is worked out and then they quiet down and go on to live normal lives.

I'm not suggesting you should intentionally run low or dry on purpose but for a few seconds to swap the fluid or until you realize what the noise is, is fine or at least is has been in what I've seen.

Yeah I've had no issues even on typically finicky Honda pumps... when I bought my Odyssey, 800 miles from where I got it and still 1800 miles from home, I floored it to get on the highway. There was a big BANG sound and then a bunch of smoke. Steering went dead, I was sure the van was a goner. I had to drive about 2 miles to make it to the nearest parts store with no PS. I pulled into O'Reilly's and popped the hood... when the timing belt had been done, some jackwagon hadn't put the hose clamp on the return line and it had blown off the reservoir, draining the whole system in short order. So I clamped it back up, poured in almost a quart and a half while working the wheel back and forth, and got back on the highway. 60k miles later, it's still running fine, no whining or bad juju.

Short version: your PS pump is fine. Fill it up and drive on.

No damage.

Power steering pumps work the hardest when making good pressure...

when just freewheeling, any residual oil left inside is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back