Ran out of 50:1 fuel mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was working on my spring cleanup the other day with my handheld 2 stroke Husqvarna leaf blower and ran out of fuel, only to find that I did not have the extra bottle of 50:1 oil mix in the garage I thought I did. With rain soon to come and no time to run to the hardware store, I mixed about a tablespoon or so of Mobil 1 5w30 to a tank of fresh gas in the blower (probably about 10 - 12oz), shook it up in the blower, and kept on working.

The blower ran fine for the rest of my cleanup. It smoked a little, but not excessively. Yesterday I finished off that tank of fuel and refilled with fresh 50:1 fuel mix and it continued to run fine.

Any harm done in my running the tank mixed with a little Mobil 1 5w30 instead of a 2 Stroke oil? Would conventional have been a better choice? I'm not worried about the blower, as to be honest, i am looking for an excuse to replace it with a backpack model anyways. I am just curious.

Last edited:
If you mixed enough oil in the gas all is fine. Worrying about this or that about the oil is like closing the corral gate after the Horses left.

I think you are fine. Any oil is better than no oil. You might have had a tiny bit of ash deposits, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Back in the day, you used to run SAE 30 non-detergent in two stroke stuff. A quart to a 5 gallon gas can.

I concur 100% with every one of my colleagues comments. Nothing to be added. Synthetic or Conventional, I don't see a difference.

Smoke was a good sign. Clean exhaust would have worried me.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back