Ram EcoDiesel Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BigJohn
I love Ram Trucks. I had a 2012 2500 with the Hemi and it was a super awesome truck.....just drank the gas at about 14mpg....and 8mpg towing.

I did not want a 2500 Cummins......and don't need that towing power.

I like the ride of the 1500 so much better and still have 420ftlbs torque for towing.

Let me restate.....getting 26mpg with a mix of city and highway.

No I won't tune it.

I've decided to dump the FF at 5k miles and will probably go with Pennzoil off Amazon.

Really glad to hear of yet another happy Mopar owner. Despite their sub standard ratings there are still a few of them out there giving good service, eh?

We will be buying a new PU in the next few months. Dodge will be driven and tested, and if we like it we'll buy it. We won't worry about the stats at all, even if pages and pages of Internet Facts are posted all over the place...

Does anyone know how old this Italian diesel engine is? Like most companies, they had to have trial-tested this overseas for a number of years before bringing it to North America.

Thought the Liberty diesel was VM Motori? They're a popular diesel engine manufacturer in the EU. I'd be more concerned with dealer support than anything else, I've had Dodge dealers that couldn't figure out a Cummins!

Originally Posted By: TSR6
I’ve also got an EcoDiesel… ( Here is my truck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yz6h4NSrQM )

I changed the factory fill oil at 6,600mi – I also didn’t feel comfortable going 10,000mi on the factory fill oil, but I also thought it would have been a waste doing an oil change at 3,000mi. Take that for what it’s worth, I’m sure you’re technically fine going to 10,000mi though.

On tunes, I will not be adding a tuner to this vehicle for quite some time unless there are some great benefits. The only tuners I’ve seen so far are from Europe, and only developed for the engine – not for the vehicle specifically. I know some have items in the works – but I’m not even thinking about that anytime in the near future.

Does the TFT screen on the ecodiesel not offer a boost gauge like the 2500 TFT screens do?

Quote:
This has some cool info on the 3.0.

20+ mpg in a full size PU that can tow 7500 pounds impresses me...

http://wardsauto.com/blog/ward-s-10-best-engines-spec-sheet-ram-30l-diesel

Someone can correct me if I wrong, but believe the VM Motori company is builder of the diesel engines in the US Navy MineSweeper ships..

The two wheel drives are at 28 mpg and the 4x4 is 27 mpg. Owner of CrewCab Laramie 4x4 on Ram Diesel Forum site reported getting 30mpg on trip from Ft Sill to Arizona recently.
Max towing is 9000 pounds, depending on 3.55 vs 3.92 rear, short bed/long bed, crew cab vs quad cab, etc.
Also, this engine does not have glow plugs..

I have the 8.4A readout and have not found any boost gauge readout yet...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rossn2
Quote:
This has some cool info on the 3.0.

20+ mpg in a full size PU that can tow 7500 pounds impresses me...

http://wardsauto.com/blog/ward-s-10-best-engines-spec-sheet-ram-30l-diesel

Someone can correct me if I wrong, but believe the VM Motori company is builder of the diesel engines in the US Navy MineSweeper ships..

The two wheel drives are at 28 mpg and the 4x4 is 27 mpg. Owner of CrewCab Laramie 4x4 on Ram Diesel Forum site reported getting 30mpg on trip from Ft Sill to Arizona recently.
Max towing is 9000 pounds, depending on 3.55 vs 3.92 rear, short bed/long bed, crew cab vs quad cab, etc.
Also, this engine does not have glow plugs..

I have the 8.4A readout and have not found any boost gauge readout yet...

how does the "no glow plugs" thing work now and as the engine gets older?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Thought the Liberty diesel was VM Motori? They're a popular diesel engine manufacturer in the EU. I'd be more concerned with dealer support than anything else, I've had Dodge dealers that couldn't figure out a Cummins!

I had a 2006 Liberty Diesel, my son has it now. The VM engine in that ride is a killer engine. if my son decided he didn't want the Liberty any more, I would jump at buying it back off of him. When I had it, I tuned it and derated the EGR to the point that it was a non issue anymore. Still on there, but just for looks. Probably corroded shut by now since that was a long time ago I did it. One thing about the VM, you need to get the hp / torque chart the motor you are using and operate it based on the power curve. And it doesn't care for trying to "get a wheel" at the light. It is chock full of power and torque, but it likes to do it more moderately like a diesel should be operated. You want jackrabbit stuff off the line, then get a gasser.

EPA highway for the Liberty VM was 27 mpg. We consistently got 32+ highway. 27 was the average we got for all miles, which included a lot of gravel roads some off road around the farm, as well as highway stuff.

VM's claim to fame was in marine motors. They brought that stuff over to vehicles. The Libery VM was a iron block, wet sleeved, DOHC, Bosch common rail setup. Serious motor for sure. When I first bought the Libby, I got onto VM's website and checked out the motor. They were touting a B80 life of over 300,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Does anyone know how old this Italian diesel engine is? Like most companies, they had to have trial-tested this overseas for a number of years before bringing it to North America.

The 3.0L diesel is a VM Motori. I first saw pictures and read about it on their website about 8-9 years ago. They have worked on it a long time, looking for a mass-market customer.

I believe it has been used for years on the IVECO version of the Humvee. I'll have to check Jane's Military Vehicles when I get home to be 100% sure.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
You might check your owner's manual on this, but the Cummins-based RAM's have a 6 month stipulation in addition to the OCI mileage limitations.

On the tuning thing, I'd resist the urge.

All the truck guys want to take off the emissions stuff and "roll coal" but a day will come when you wish you had not done that.

I believe USEPA will ratchet up enforcement somewhere in the future.

That's what I love about Florida. State law allows any diesel truck to produce any amount of smoke under acceleration. No limit.

EPA can kiss it. When they introduce valid technology for dealing with emissions, but until then, I'm going to pull all of that garbage off.
laugh.gif

Unfortunately if everyone acts on their urges like you^^^ then we will all get penalized.

Expect long lines and high fees at vehicle inspection stations...

People don't do it because they are "anti-government intrusion" or even anti-regulation. They do it because they think it looks cool to roll coal, it draws attention to themselves and their truck, and they think it impresses others. They want themselves and their truck to be noticed.

Or sometimes they do it just to be a....

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
That's what I love about Florida. State law allows any diesel truck to produce any amount of smoke under acceleration. No limit.

EPA can kiss it. When they introduce valid technology for dealing with emissions, but until then, I'm going to pull all of that garbage off.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Unfortunately if everyone acts on their urges like you^^^ then we will all get penalized.

Please tell me where I find the vehicle inspection station here in Florida. Oh yeah, we don't have them.

In NY, the vehcile inspection station is any approved shop you choose. Even though I routinely used Pep Boys, which should have had me waiting forever, I actually never did.

Last edited:

Please tell me where I find the vehicle inspection station here in Florida. Oh yeah, we don't have them.

In NY, the vehcile inspection station is any approved shop you choose. Even though I routinely used Pep Boys, which should have had me waiting forever, I actually never did.

Ahem. We had them before, we can have them again. Thanks to the irresponsible it looks like we can expect them again soon.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
People don't do it because they are "anti-government intrusion" or even anti-regulation. They do it because they think it looks cool to roll coal, it draws attention to themselves and their truck, and they think it impresses others. They want themselves and their truck to be noticed.

Or sometimes they do it just to be a....

laugh.gif

If you want to wire me the $5800 that the dealer wanted to repair my awesome DPF system (P&L), please PM me and I'll get it done.

Also, you need to do a bit more research on how a diesel engine works. Any diesel engine modified to produce substantially more horsepower than stock is going to throw a lot of smoke. Even a stock truck with an unfiltered exhaust will throw smoke under acceleration. So, there's a good possibility that the smoke being produced has absolutely nothing to do with appearance, or you, or anyone else. Just a truck owner who wanted more power out of his truck so he could enjoy it a little more, and get his work done more easily.

So, in truth, the mods I have done to my truck are "just to be a" :

[*]Person who does not want to spend $6000 on an emissions system that will fail and cause the function of my truck to cease simply by IDLING too much.

[*]Person who wants to be able to merge onto the highway safely and effectively while towing a 42' boat on a triple-axle trailer.

[*]Person who does not want an engine that randomly dumps excess fuel into the exhaust for no other purpose than raising EGT's (#1 killer of diesel engines) in order to maintain the pathetic DPF system.

[*]Person who does not want a common failure point in his exhaust that will cause limp-home mode or the destruction of an engine that costs thousands to rebuild or replace upon said failure.

So long story made short, regardless of the owner's intentions, the black smoke is actually a matter of function, durability, reliability, and efficiency.

I never saw less than 20mpg in my 5.9 CTD, and this truck, like every other Ram 3500 still running a DPF, struggled to make 12mpg until I got the DPF out, and tuned out its DPF fuel dumping function, as all other Rams with the same treatment have encountered.

Repeating what I've outlined: Until they come up with a valid technology to deal with exhaust soot, the EPA can kiss it.

Ahem. We had them before, we can have them again. Thanks to the irresponsible it looks like we can expect them again soon.

Ahem, but what else was going on the 1990s?

I'm sorry, can you please update me on any current political actions, petitions, or anything indicating that there is any possibility of Florida getting emissions testing back any time soon? Has Rick Scott said anything about this? Is there something moving in Tallahassee currently? Has there been some sort of public demand or outcry for the return of of testing?

Or is this merely specious reasoning on your part based on your own personal feelings about this topic?

Interesting. My 09 Dmax has never made a peep. Bone stocker exactly as delivered to me.

I suspect it is because we pretty much don't drive it unless towing our 5th wheel rig we camp in. When it gets used it generally has about 12k pounds behind it.

I have never noticed anything during operation, and have never done anything except change oil and other fluids when told to by the computer.

I have always wondered if the 'rolling coal' types are just using theirs as toys this may explain how they have so many issues.

Rest assured, the moment someone perceives a need or an opportunity we can easily have long lines outside the sniffer stations AGAIN, the moment our air quality is affected it's coming.

Everyone remember to say thank you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back