Ram differential oil change interval question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 17 Ram dually with 6.7 diesel and 4wd. Oil change interval for differentials is 15000 miles by the book. I've searched alot and get little info but I had an 05 ram that I did 15,000 interval until 30k and then did not do it again and sold it at 85K with no issues. I had a GMC duramax 2500 and it had AAM differentials with no 15,000m change recommendation. Same differential as Ram I understand but different interval recommendations. What am I missing? I've searched the Ram sites and some do 60k changes, others are compulsive about 15k. I pull a 12K horse trailer and doing 15 k intervals is doable, but is it necessary? I'd appreciate input from the forum as to what others recommend about this issue as I'm not coming up with many alternatives. Thanks in advance.

If the book say's 15,000 miles, that's what I would do. You paid good money for your truck. A few quarts of differential lube and a gasket is nothing in comparison.

I'd change it at 15k and 30k then let it go for 50-100k if there's no more glittery stuff in there after 30k. New gears make a lot of metal flakes while they break in, once bedded they don't make much at all. Most of the debris will be clutch material from the LSD

$65,000+ truck and you want to save $50 every 15,000 miles?

Dodge probably has a good reason to change it that often in the dually- because they are generally used to tow.

And you tow a heavy trailer.

So do what the manufacturer recommends.

Absolutely.

Originally Posted by ironman_gq
I'd change it at 15k and 30k then let it go for 50-100k if there's no more glittery stuff in there after 30k. New gears make a lot of metal flakes while they break in, once bedded they don't make much at all. Most of the debris will be clutch material from the LSD
+1

I'm sure someone makes an aftermarket diff cover (for the rear anyways) that has a drain port on it with a magnetic plug. Might have cooling fins and additional capacity as well.

I can't image how you could wear out gear oil in 15K miles, but the additional capacity should allow you to go longer on changes unless there is some other reason Dodge specs that OCI.

I'm not adverse to doing 15k changes in the oil, it is not a money issue, and I understand the reaons for changing the differential oil, but I'm not understanding why GM does not require that frequent a change and has the same brand differentials. Why was my 2012 GMC 3/4 ton that pulled the same 12k trailers not required to have 15k differential oil changes but my Ram is? That is my basic question and I guess I did not make that clear. I will continue with 15 K differential oil changes but don't understand why GM does not require the same with the same differential. I actually initially change all my trucks' differentials at 1000 miles as I have heard that does well to get rid of breakdown products and I will continue to do that. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I believe GM (and Ford) are trying to convince the buying public that their vehicles are maintenance free. My '93 F150 and '05 Ranger manuals both state the trans and axles are factory filled for life. Mopar, on the other hand takes a more conservative, and correct, approach (my '97 Van).

I believe if you ran a synthetic in your rear axle 30k changes (in your situation) are doable. My Van calls for 30k under severe service. I use synthetic in my trans and axle in all my vehicles and change them at 60k.

I often think of how many vehicles made it to the junkyard with the factory fill in their differentials. My guess is that it is the most neglected fluid in a vehicle. For the cost of doing it I'd play it safe, at the very least follow the mfg. recommendations for servicing it.

I have the same year and model of truck; '17 Crew cab 4wd Dually with the HO Cummins, Aisin trans, 4.10 gears, and factory finned Aluminum diff cover. I use my truck to mainly tow a 26k 5th wheel. Approx. 35k GCVW.

On any new vehicle I like to get the break-in fluid out early. This is based on my past as a Master Tech, and what I saw in that profession.

Anyway, I changed the factory fluid at 1k miles, and there was break-in material present at that time. I will do it again at 16k miles, just to see if it needs changing that often, and decide what my interval will be based on what I find.

As for the difference in fluid change interval between GM and RAM, I'd guess it's at least partially due to their respective tow rating.

In '17, the RAM when properly equipped was rated to tow over 31k. The GM Dually was only rated up to 23.8k.

Of course both have higher tow ratings now. RAM is saying 35,100 lbs max towing for '19 models. GM is claiming 35,500 lbs for it's upcoming '20 dually. Ford has yet to claim a number, but I guarantee it will be higher than RAM or GM. Then RAM will likely claim higher than both for '20. As the towing wars go round and round.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back