Rain-X removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would romove this from my windsheild?
I was applying it and a neighbor stopped by after putting it on.It got sun baked before I tried to remove it. And looks clouded.
It works.Just the cloudiness when driving into the sun is making a lot of glare.
cool.gif

Thanks
Rich

I would try another coat of rain x as well. Rain x works really good, but the only drawback is that once you put it on once, you have to keep putting it on cause once it starts to wear off, it will give you that clouded smeared look on your window.

I just started dto use rain x, the windshield looks somewhat clouded, but i can actually see when it rains now, so it is def. worth it.

That is not a problem. Follow the directions and you will be fine! Clean the windshield with glass cleaner. Then apply it lightly in circular motion. Once it hazes wipe it off with a damp lent free cloth. Then take a dry clothe and buff it out. I would repeat as i find that two coats works great! If you do it properly you should not have any streaks,smears or cloudiness. The most you should ever have to do is hit is with damp cloth and then buff it with a dry cloth.

I have been useing Rain-X since the early 1980's when it first came to market. My Dad taught me to use it as a kid. Most people fail to clean their windshield first or put too much on. Rain-X is Acitated Alchol. All alchol sold for health,hygine or commerical use is denatured reguardless of color. The green alchol at the pharmacy has mint,wintergreen, or eculyptus(sp) oil in it as a general lintament(sp).

Now I will warn you about never fog though! I do not care how well you apply it it always leaves a smudged look on the glass when headlights hit it at night time!

I thought you were just supposed to re apply it if it was hazy?
I don't use the wipe on stuff, I use the windshield washer Rain-X. Works just as well and is a million times easier to use. Just spray your washer nozels and it is on.

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
I thought you were just supposed to re apply it if it was hazy?
I don't use the wipe on stuff, I use the windshield washer Rain-X. Works just as well and is a million times easier to use. Just spray your washer nozels and it is on.

Same here. It's good stuff. I never had any problems with the manually applied RainX, though. It takes a bit of elbow grease to buff it to the point where the windshield is nice and clear, but after I got it to that point, I never had any hazyness.

quote:

Try some denatured alcohol. Its green and cheap from a drug store.

I think he meant environmentally friendly.

quote:

Originally posted by benjamming:
denatured alcohol is green?

I've seen some dyed green - probably entices small kids to drink the stuff. (one really has to wonder what goes through some of the medical supply company decision makers' heads . . . "Gosh, while we're at it, why don't we put a pleasant lime-aid scent in it, too?") 70% rubbing alcohol typically contains lanolin to avoid skin dryness. A better solution would be to use 91% rubbing alcohol - more isopropyl alcohol content and no lanolin to muck up the windshield.

ToothPaste will take all film off windows not scratch and tastes good to. Actually used to clean ScubaMasks and other items try it "IT Works"

Thanks for all of your suggestions.
I at first tried the re-application.
It still was cloudy.
So about a week later I actually got home early enough to get the denatured alcohol.
Later I wiped down the windsheild and applied Rain X. So far its lookin good.
I'll never apply it in the sun again.
Thank You BITOGers.

Buddy at work tells me that his 05 Mustang GT manual specifically warns against Rain X. I have never heard of that before. FWIW the car has 800 miles on it and just got a new tranny, (metal grinding noise), makes me wonder if I should listen to Ford's advices.

Actually nothing works better than perfectly clean glass. It is just very hard to get it completely clean. Water just runs off clean glass much as with the Rain-X.

aehaas

quote:

Originally posted by AEHaas:
Actually nothing works better than perfectly clean glass. It is just very hard to get it completely clean. Water just runs off clean glass much as with the Rain-X.

aehaas

That was my experiance after a good throrough claybarring of a 9 year old windshield. The wipers run a lot smoother too.

It took at least 1/2 hour of work the first time, but follow up claybarrings will be lot faster.

1/2 hour didn't get it perfect using the baggie on the fingers test, but it's as good as a new windshield with the baggie test.

What's your chosen cleaner?

aehaas

With Rain X I don't even use the wipers. On a push back and forth system, even high speed is lacking in a downpour. Now a push out system like on GM and chrysler vans or older W-bodies is a different story.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back