Raikkonen swaps wth Leclerc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm way more interested in what Raikkonen can do in the Sauber than what Leclerc can do in the Ferrari, personally. Unless he shows up in 'I'm just here to collect a paycheck' mode.

Originally Posted by billt460
"Swapped" with him how? Is he taking Raikkonen's place? I thought he had a contract with Ferrari. The guy just finished on the podium.

Yep but now he has a 2 year contract at Sauber. Should be interesting to see how that goes for both of them.

Originally Posted by rshaw125
Kimi 38 years old. Hmmmmm maybe he should have retired? Go out of a high.

Why should he retire if he wants to keep racing and someone will give him a seat?

And what high are you referring to? Beyond winning a few races for Lotus, he hasn't done much in the last few years with Ferrari.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Kimi 38 years old. Hmmmmm maybe he should have retired? Go out of a high.

Why should he retire if he wants to keep racing and someone will give him a seat?

And what high are you referring to? Beyond winning a few races for Lotus, he hasn't done much in the last few years with Ferrari.

Lets see. He's third in Driver points and was on the podium last race in Italy. Also podium finishes in several other races this season. That's a high for 38 years old in F1. Nico Rosberg had the right idea.

Lets see. He's third in Driver points and was on the podium last race in Italy. Also podium finishes in several other races this season. That's a high for 38 years old in F1.

Those are fine stats for someone who isn't a former world champion with 20 wins under his belt. With his resume, getting occasional podiums but no wins in six years as Ferrari's #2 driver are nothing to get excited about.

I think that the Sauber move is part of a bigger picture where Ferrari gets new blood and their B-team Alfa Romeo Sauber is a project which needs a very experienced driver able to help in car development.

Ferrari's chief engineer Simone Resta joined Sauber this summer so I would expect 2019 Sauber to be a big step forward.

IMHO they should name the team Alfa Romeo.

Originally Posted by billt460
"Swapped" with him how? Is he taking Raikkonen's place? I thought he had a contract with Ferrari. The guy just finished on the podium.

I believe it was set to expire at the end of this season. Marchionne was apparently poised to something much like this anyhow. As Finn mentions, there are some plans for Sauber, so Kimi will have some value there and not just be running out the clock. I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari were paying his salary anyhow, given that I can't see Sauber wanting to pay what Kimi would command. For a while, in the not too distant past, he was the highest paid F1 driver.

Kimi's contract extension with Scuderia Ferrari was for this season.

His current base salary has been reported to be around 7 million.

It was substantially higher a few years ago, but 7 is still higher than what I suspect Sauber wants to be paying. Ideally, they want drivers to be paying them.
wink.gif

F1 needs real racing drivers, not people who talk like politicians.

As a Canadian, I apologize on behalf of Lance Stroll that his dad bought a team (not just a seat) for him and forces out Ocon who is a real talent.

Last edited:
I still think Stroll has some talent, but I know that whole situation leaves people with a bad taste in their mouths. Given Vijay Mallya's situation, something was destined to happen anyhow. I know there was another investor looking, too, and he's complaining about how things turned out. I'm not sure what Lance is expecting out of all this. If he unlocks some miracle talent and catches the eye of a top team, somehow, as massively unlikely as that is, what kind of a position would that place his dad? Now, the more realistic side of things is that Force India carries on its merry way with Lance driving, never contending anything above the top five teams, if that. If Lance wasn't happy in one midfield (currently back marker) team, why would he be happy doing that same thing elsewhere? As much trouble as Williams is seeing right now, they do have some pretty impressive facilities and people, and have just as much shot as anyone in the midfield, if not more of a shot, to improve. They really can't go backwards much more.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back