raid error?? (4-drv stripe/mirror, nVidia)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dudes, I am assuming this error on my 4 drive striping/mirror array is bad??? I think this happened once before last year and I was able to rebuild the array without replacing the drive, but the nVidia prompts had me worried all along the way that I was going to blow up my computer. :/
 -

What's the error, more specifically?

Are you running mirrored RAID-0 sets? If so, you *shouldn't* lose any data as one set is a mirror of the other. Personally, I would back everything up to an external disk before performing any further. Better to be safe than sorry when dealing with disk failures.

Yupper. "Degraded" is the raid term for a metadevice with a failure.

Any chance your house is not air conditioned. I find Maxtor SATA drives run hot hot hot; I ended up losing one last summer when it was 95F in the house.

On a side note, our Hitachi SAN guy has indicated that the failure rate of SATA drives is 10x SCSI. SATA drives are now an option in most high end SAN storage for "near front line" data storage (casual access stuff)

The next time a bag of money falls off a truck, I will be opting for U320 or 160 SCSI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back