Radius of Gyration

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
The "radius of gyration" is used to characterize the changes in the size of this polymer molecule.

What is this polymer?

Guidelines for the Question of the Day:

1. No Piston Cup Lapel Pin will be awarded to the same person within 14 days of a previous award.

2. Please respond with a complete sentence or explanation.

3. Please do not post links. If a question arises as to the need for clarification, then sources and links may be requested.

4. Please, no off topic posts.

Last edited:
Considering this forum, Reads like a viscosity modifier. I recall reading a paper about poly butyl acrylate star shaped polymers a few years ago.

VI unfurling with temperature changes radius of gyration. I think there are several chemical viscosity improvers, not just one.

Originally Posted By: CT8
VII
Index Improver, yes. Actually I should have said VM maybe, not VI viscosity improver.
Is Molakule asking for a specific chemical? PMA and OCP might be the most common ones used.

Wow, good responses and all answers were correct.

The oil soluble families of PolyMethyl Acrylates (PMA), Olefin CoPolymers (OCP), and the PIB families of PolyButylAcrylates (PBA), are some of the many polymers that constitute functional Viscosity Modifiers.

In the total Performance Improvement (PI) package, VM's are usually added to the base oil/additive package in concentrations of 2% to 5% in order to bring the viscosity range into conformance to the targeted viscosity grade.

One of the methods used to characterize the conformations of these molecules is by examining the radius of gyration.

A program such as Molecular Dynamics is used to determine the changes in molecule size, as a function of temperature, by sampling the change using 100 nanosecond time steps.

In some VMs', such as PBA's, Anti-Wear (AW) functionality is also included, making them a Multi-Functional Additive (MFA) component.

arcographite was the first to answer correctly, so he is the latest person to receive the new 3-D Piston Cup Lapel Pin.
happy2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back