Radio Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you get some responses. I'm interested also.

Bump
wink.gif

I'm assuming you're talking about hand-held or base scanners for police, fire, etc...

Radio Shack Pro-46 with the cellular mod (do a Google search for this) is quite cool. You'll need to find a used one on eBay as these haven't been produced in many years. You'll need to solder a couple places (careful! if you slip up, you'll need to buy another one!!), reset it with a certain 3-finger salute, then you can get the full analog cellular range.
grin.gif
Get a battery charger or a wall power unit. This thing eats batteries like crazy.

IIRC, No one any longer produces a scanner with cellular frequency ranges even if you solder the circuit boards.

I'm happy with what I have, but it may not be what you want.

What do you want ot listen to?

Some older scanners will go up into the 1000 mhz range, allowing you to listen to more things the avaerage people would be able to hear. (analog cell phones are the first to come to mind)

Listening to aircraft frequencies can be interesting.

Some older scanners will allow you to listen to cordless phones on both the low band vhf and the 900 mhz uhf.

Technology has limited what many scanners can do when it comes to listening to law enforcement. Many large departments have adopted trunking systems which the average scanner will not be able to pick-up. If you want to listen to these, it can cost quite a bit of cash for a scanner with this capability. At the same time, many police department have not yet adopted these systems due to the $$$ involved in the change over.

You'll need to decide what you want to listen to, do some research and go from there. An external antenna can also be a great investment.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
I'm assuming you're talking about hand-held or base scanners for police, fire, etc...

Radio Shack Pro-46 with the cellular mod (do a Google search for this) is quite cool.

The Pro-43 is a good one too, also out of production. I've got one someplace.

Didn't do the cell phone mod, I'm tired of hearing people yack on their cell phones
grin.gif

Well I'm a local truck driver and thats why I was interested in getting one, hear OK Highway Patrol, traffic jams, etc, etc.

But it seems that I was way over my head, I did not think this "hobby" (for some) was so complicated and also OKC is going to some sort of Digital Pro-Voice freq. that no scanner can decode.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back