Radiator question...1986 Toyota PU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a free fixer....1986 Toyota PU with 22-RE motor, 5sp with only 120k mi, runs perfect. Has sat mostly outside for 20 plus yrs. Needs a new radiator, old one has pin hole leak on top but I plan on keeping it around replacing the radiator along with belts, hoses brakes etc... need a good source to find one?,,, don't want cheap parts and I'm VERY unfamiliar with Toyota's and their part sources in general? Thanks

The all metal rads for that truck are getting scarce. Plan on spending around $300 if you can find one. Plastic/alum rads are about $150. I keep top tanks in stock for that truck as they all crack.

I get around $125 to rebuild your old one and put on a new tank. I'm sure the rad shops in your area have the new tanks too.

Don't forget the timing chain! That generation of engine was NOTORIOUS for breaking the chain guides and then having the chain wear through the cover. Not a huge deal, until all of the coolant drains into the oil pan in 30 seconds and ruins your engine.

The original lasts between 90 and 130K, so you are right there for miles. As long as you are tinkering with stuff, I'd put that high on the list.

Originally Posted By: MichiganMadMan
Don't forget the timing chain! That generation of engine was NOTORIOUS for breaking the chain guides and then having the chain wear through the cover. Not a huge deal, until all of the coolant drains into the oil pan in 30 seconds and ruins your engine.

The original lasts between 90 and 130K, so you are right there for miles. As long as you are tinkering with stuff, I'd put that high on the list.

Thanks for the heads up!!

You could get an aftermarket Denso radiator. That would be equal to the OEM unit, if you have an aluminum radiator with plastic end caps.

I'm not sure what you have. Back in the 1980s, many cars still used brass radiators with no plastic end tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back