Radiator Drain Plug Leak: 2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Have seen those cheap plastic plugs go bad on brand new radiators,

If it breaks when you are taking the old one out, just push the end that's stuck in the drain hole on into the radiator. The locking tab piece that breaks is a super PITA to get out especially when the radiator is installed.

Personally I wouldn't have messed with a 2019 car with 40k miles.

Does the service procedure usually suck the coolant out under vacuum or does it advise draining via petkok?

Newer cars need to be filled under vacuum also, as air bubbles can overheat the engine.
Well, now you tell me. 🙄 Factory service manual doesn't say anything about vacuum filling.

Ford put the petcock (lol) behind the radiator support so unless you remove the support, you have to use a needle nose plier with a 90 degree twisted tip. I didn't go nuts with it but maybe I'm stronger than I thought? I didn't tighten it enough initially so I tightened it some more put maybe that second time was too much. Like it was straight up and down when I loosened it so I just got it back straight up and down.

Yeah. Again, they put the petcock behind the radiator support. You need to take off the front bumper cover to replace the headlights. You need to take off the trim and remove the glove box to replace the cabin air filter. The battery is in the trunk. The transmission is "sealed" so you have to mess around with funnels and tubing to get fluid in there.

Thanks! I was aware of this and it was a pain because it's a hybrid so I need to step on the gas pedal to get the engine to run.
There is a maintenance mode for any hybrid that allows for the engine to run continuously.

So the manual does mention a vacuum tool but doesn't say it has to be done that way. There is a "fill mode" that keeps the engine running at 2,000 rpm.

It was the drain plug that's leaking. Will buy a new one. See pics.

Attachments

• PXL_20201112_230010845.jpg
    PXL_20201112_230010845.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20201112_230101594.jpg
    PXL_20201112_230101594.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20201112_230039286.jpg
    PXL_20201112_230039286.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 60
Hey Trav, it sounds like those drain plugs Ford put on their composite oil pans. Ford comes out with some messed up ideas. It's almost like the Engineers are getting high while at the drafting board. :ROFLMAO:

Some of the stuff they come up with don't make much sense, it is not just Ford either but I have to admit 3 threads to hold the plug in on an aluminum head is one of the worst ideas yet.

So the manual does mention a vacuum tool but doesn't say it has to be done that way. There is a "fill mode" that keeps the engine running at 2,000 rpm.

It was the drain plug that's leaking. Will buy a new one. See pics.

I have one that is very similar I dug out of a GM leaker a few months ago. Not the most durable design, be sure to use Vaseline on that O ring.

I have one that is very similar I dug out of a GM leaker a few months ago. Not the most durable design, be sure to use Vaseline on that O ring.
Dealer will take a few days to get the drain plug. In the meantime, I used JB weld to repair the plug and put it back in. No leak. Used distilled water for now while the coolant and plug comes in. I might be stupid but I didn't see the lower radiator hose to be in an easy place.

Get one from the Ford dealer, this seems to have a plastic plug with 2 key ways that draw it tight when tightened, it uses an O ring to seal.
Be very careful with these you can break the tab in the plastic radiator tank. Lube the new one with Vaseline, it may be a bit difficult to remove the old one, open it and pull out, you may need pliers.
Put the new one in in the open position, push then twist it shut, again you may need pliers to full seat it twisting it closed but don't go overboard.
Next time pull the lower hose.
When I went to drain the radiator on my 16' Escape I found the plug difficult to remove so I left it in (letting it drain slower)......Why couldn't Ford have stayed with a regular (screw in) type with an o-ring....I've never had an issue with one.

I never mess with those cheap petcocks. I wiggle the lower hose off. Quicker and I seem to get more old coolant out.

Back