Radar RPX-800. Cheap tire review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

First off, the internet lists these as summer tires. It the sticker says all season. They have a 500 treadwear rating and aren't rocks in the cold so I'm going to say they are closer to an all season.

The above sticker is from one of the fronts. I bought these for my 16s to hold me over for a couple months until my 17s get here from Japan and get refinished and all.

Initially, they look good and I like the tread design. I have put 1800 miles on these so far. Many long distance trips and daily commuting to work in dry and rain.

They have been better than I expected so far. They clear water well and resist hydroplaning better than other tires I have had. Absolutely adequate in that area. They feel planted on the highway and stable up to 100mph (most I have done on them). In the corners they have great grip for a cheapo tire. Better than I expected. One thing about cheap tires is they usually feel random at the edge and are hard to predict. These are not the same at all. While they don't have as much grip as a name brand summer tire they are absolutely easy to predict and comfortable at the limit. I can hang the car right at the edge and keep it there with confidence. Like I said, the edge is easy to get to compared to a name brand summer tire, but keeping it on the edge and knowing it's coming is very easy. Very good in this regard. In the rain, they are predictable and very stable. Felt the same as many name brand tires I have had on this car. I have driven them in the cold this past week and have seen no cracking and they are not rock hard.

These tires are definitely fine for a budget tire and while I'm just using them as a stopgap, I would be comfortable running them long term. I would not put them in the "Chinese junk" category.

Originally Posted By: pkunk
What about noise?

This is hard to comment on as the car isn't very quiet as is. It's lowered substantially, has wide wheels on it, and has an aftermarket exhaust. Not to mention the engine is right behind your head with little to no sound dampening.

I will say they are no louder than other tires I have run on this car. I haven't noticed any increase in noise.

Any pictures of the tire itself? Like to see the sidewall and tread pattern.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Any pictures of the tire itself? Like to see the sidewall and tread pattern.

None on the car but here is the tread pattern and tire.

rpx-800.jpg

The sidewall looks less dumb on the much lower profile models I have on the car.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Behold, the power of Google search

Stock photos aren't the same as seeing the real thing!
13.gif

I wonder if they will get loud as they age. Still, for a stopgap tire, can't blame you, makes sense, and so far it sounds like a decent tire for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back