radar detectors..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the Redline today custom programed it to quickly sweep just the pertinent Ka bands, should make the 240mi. trip more interesting tomorrow...also downloaded WAZE right away.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Got the Redline today custom programed it to quickly sweep just the pertinent Ka bands, should make the 240mi. trip more interesting tomorrow...also downloaded WAZE right away.

I'm by no means pretending to be a radar or radar detector expert, that sentence above omitted that I kept K band and Laser deleted X altogether on a tip from a radar forum..changed a couple other filters sposed to soup-up the Redline, speed/distance.

Keep imagining that a good radar detector can save you. But one day you'll meet up with a properly trained LEO and he'll get you.

Instant on Ka band is deadly, and the new units are ultra low power. Very little stray radiation to pick up.

Then there's LIDAR. Properly used with a gun sight it is basically going to tell you to pull over and get out your papers no matter what you have.

Jammers have come a long way, but they are expensive and illegal in all areas. That's the only thing that beats LIDAR...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Jammers have come a long way, but they are expensive and illegal in all areas. That's the only thing that beats LIDAR...

Incorrect. Radar jammers are illegal in all 50 states. Radar detectors and laser jammers are legal in most states, FL included.

Commercial vehicle law:
Radar detectors are illegal in commercial vehicles weighing over 10,000 pounds in all fifty states, per Title 49 Transportation Act. Radar detectors are also illegal to operate on any military base.

Originally Posted By: Zeus33

Incorrect. Radar jammers are illegal in all 50 states. Radar detectors and laser jammers are legal in most states, FL included.

Commercial vehicle law:
Radar detectors are illegal in commercial vehicles weighing over 10,000 pounds in all fifty states, per Title 49 Transportation Act. Radar detectors are also illegal to operate on any military base.

Reading comprehension gone? I stand by my post. Check the FCC before your next post...

Reading comprehension gone? I stand by my post. Check the FCC before your next post...

Ahhh...the irony.....the FCC regulates radio waves, not light emissions. That's the Food and Drug Admin.

Because these jammers focus on blocking light emitted from laser guns, and not radio waves from radar guns, US federal laws prohibiting the use of radar jammers do not apply to these devices. While the U.S. Federal Communications Commission regulates transmission of radio waves, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration regulates light emissions. However, several states have passed laws that specifically prohibit the use of laser jammers, including: California, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Virginia. The legality of laser jammers in Nebraska and Washington, D.C. is disputed.[4]

Interesting how the cops from three different departments that I know also said otherwise. I'll keep using mine.

Legality of Use

As of today the states that outlaw their use include: Alaska, California, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Nebraska, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. In Canada only the more western provinces allow the use of jammers: British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan. All other provinces, watch out. Drive with them at your own risk.

Last edited:
I have no problem with anyone using them. Keep on jammin'!

But telling others to jump in is a different story. There are many other ways you can be charged if a LEO notices you are interfering with his equipment.

And "cops from 3 different departments" is hardly an endorsement. Police do not make laws, they simply enforce them. Interfering with one is a serious charge here in Florida, and some LEO's are highly trained here in the operation of Radar and Lidar.

Speed is not the problem. Never has been. Aircraft regularly operate on the ground at very high speeds, without risk. Furthermore, as speeds have increased, the highway accident and death rate has decreased. Artificially low speed limits do nothing to enhance safety.

The accident rate in Montana, when they had no speed limit was statistically unchanged.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Speed is not the problem. Never has been. Aircraft regularly operate on the ground at very high speeds, without risk. Furthermore, as speeds have increased, the highway accident and death rate has decreased. Artificially low speed limits do nothing to enhance safety.

The accident rate in Montana, when they had no speed limit was statistically unchanged.

Completely agreed. The folks in charge regularly ignore their own "80th percentile" rule. Limits are set artificially low to encourage revenue and if you question them it's all about safety.

Speed only affects the severity of an accident. It's funny to drive modern cars that are very capable of high speeds yet the speed restrictions are 1950's era...

The folks in charge regularly ignore their own "80th percentile" rule.

Yeah! Annoying isn't it? What do they "know" that they refuse to tell.....

Interestingly, the 85th percentile is the number most commonly used for US Highway studies now. Also, one large Canadian study used the 90th percentile and found that on a divided highway with no posted limit, a equally safe "speed limit" would be the 90th percentile! In other words, setting the speed limit at the speed at which 89% of drivers would naturally NOT REACH, 1% would reach and 10% of motorists would exceed, would achieve equivalent safety to artificially low speed limits!!!!

What's even more interesting is just how high those speeds were. On rural, non divided highways, the speeds matched current trends. But on divided, well constructed highways, speeds in excess of 160kph (about 100mph) were proven to be exactly as safe. Germany proves this.

Keep imagining that a good radar detector can save you. But one day you'll meet up with a properly trained LEO and he'll get you.

Instant on Ka band is deadly, and the new units are ultra low power. Very little stray radiation to pick up.

False. Basic issue with any and all radar regardless of band: it can be detected from two to five times the distance that it can get a return from!

Quote:
Then there's LIDAR. Properly used with a gun sight it is basically going to tell you to pull over and get out your papers no matter what you have.

Unless you drive a black car with hidden headlights and no front plate...

Quote:

Please link to the relevant laws you cite. Be specific.

But telling others to jump in is a different story. There are many other ways you can be charged if a LEO notices you are interfering with his equipment.

Describe, in detail, EXACTLY how someone could be charged if a LEO "notices you are interfering with his equipment". Be specific.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
SteveSRT8 said:

Quote:

Please link to the relevant laws you cite. Be specific.

47 U.S.C.A section 333.

.... There are many other ways you can be charged if a LEO notices you are interfering with his equipment.

Describe, in detail, EXACTLY how someone could be charged if a LEO "notices you are interfering with his equipment". Be specific.

In my state:

5-54-102. Obstructing governmental operations.

(a) A person commits the offense of obstructing governmental operations if the person:

(1) Knowingly obstructs, impairs, or hinders the performance of any governmental function;

Should be pretty obvious.

State patrol radaring in a passing zone should be ashamed, I was focused on passing the semi and the creep startled me, could have reacted wrong. LEO victimizing the public like that, sickening. Between the Redline detector and WAZE I feel as though my risks have been minimized not eliminated...

There should be no need. But I understand you sometimes need this interaction...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back