Rad flushes in winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm passing by Midas a couple of days ago. Winter Special - Radiator Flushes for $59.

So I thought to myself, when it is cold in the winter, the radiator is hardly required to the max. Then I noticed, everyone has radiator flush specials.

Should be a summer thing.

quote:

Originally posted by cangreylegend:
I'm passing by Midas a couple of days ago. Winter Special - Radiator Flushes for $59.

So I thought to myself, when it is cold in the winter, the radiator is hardly required to the max. Then I noticed, everyone has radiator flush specials.

Should be a summer thing.

Probably because no one gets anything done to their vehicle until there is a problem.

With that in mind...when do you most cooling system problems occur? Now you know why they run specials in winter...
grin.gif

I have 2 flushes on the board for tomorrow.

Both GM cars, both have Dex-Cool and in both the heaters dont work.

Typical Dex-Cool plugging at it's finest!

I start with hooking the heater hoses up to the city water pipe and backflushing the cores, it's all I can do.

If it pushes the mud out great, if the core explodes...Well sorry bout your luck yer gonna hafta buy a new core.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
Nothing like a frozen engine block!

Drew makes a good point, many people neglect their cooling system and the strength of your coolant weakens, and if it gets really cold it could freeze and crack the block. Getting the rad flush ensures a strong fresh mix of antifreeze in there. In my cars I like to get a full flush and fill of my coolant/antifreeze done every two years (even with Dexcool although my current car uses the green stuff). In my wife's car since it's so easy to DIY, I simply drain and refill her rad every 6 months, I've been doing this since new so it should never need a full flush done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back