Racing gear oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put Motul Gear in my Chevy truck and I noticed it says on the label that it is for racing diffs and transmissions. I was worried I accidently got race only lube, but after some research I verified it is for road vehicles too.

Unlike racing motor oils which trade some traits for more important short term needs, it seems that racing gear lubes have longevity too.

Are most racing diff and trans lubes streetable? Know of any that aren't?

Keep in mind that the main difference between 'race' and 'street' motor oils is the presence of detergents and other additives designed to deal with the byproducts of combustion and the sludge they can form over time.

With gear oils, this is not really a concern. The biggest contamination worry is moisture ... most often from guys wheeling in their 4x4s. The surefire solution for this is a drain and refill, regardless of the oil type, brand, etc ...

One thing to keep in mind, however, is weight. Racing lubricants are often formulated on the thin side to minimize drag and maximize net horsepower (including the entire driveline). This is where racers will knowingly compromise durability ... and the everyday vehicle owner should NOT.

I put some amsoil 190wt in my jeep. Had severe 140 in it. Seems to shear oil in about a year to 2 years. Then it leaks from pinion seal. I replace oil and it stops leaking. So i guess 190wt amsoil is racing oil we will see what happens. Oil has been in for a week and leak stopped. I should of had oil analized.

Originally Posted By: Highline9
I put some amsoil 190wt in my jeep. Had severe 140 in it. Seems to shear oil in about a year to 2 years. Then it leaks from pinion seal. I replace oil and it stops leaking. So i guess 190wt amsoil is racing oil we will see what happens. Oil has been in for a week and leak stopped. I should of had oil analized.

I had that stuff in my axle a couple of months ago (with a little of their 250 SG thrown in for good measure
lol.gif
).

It was actually a little too thick for my application (YES, it's marketed/produced for hard-core rock crawlers, and top fuel funny cars/dragsters, etc.
crazy2.gif
).

So I went back to the SVO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back