Rabbit control (damaging landscaping)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you recommend?

Rabbit repellant spray from Home Depot is not 100% effective and you have to apply quite often to get enough protection.

They are eating EVERYTHING. Probably doesn't help that my neighbor's yard is overgrown with weeds...probably has a nest somewhere in there. Rabbit population is very high this year. Seems like there is almost always one in my yard.

I live in a suburban area. Already looked online for tips. Didn't find much. Sprays are a hassle and not effective.
Was thinking about trying moth balls if I can find the ones with Naptha. But I heard they disolve quickly in rain.
Guess I just have to kill them. But don't want a kill trap with kids in the yard. I don't have a pellet gun but won't mind getting one. But then what do I do with all these dead rabbits? And I don't really have time to sit in the yard waiting for one to show up.
Maybe a live trap and relocation will work too. Seems like it will take a while though.

quote:

What do you recommend?

Remington 22 LR SUBSONIC hollow-points.Since the're subsonic,there's no "ballistic crack".Expansion is very positive even at these low velocities.Good off season practice for big game hunters.
Rabbits make great fertilizer in my garden.

BE SAFE!Never shoot when the area is occupied.Make sure of your backstop and what is beyond.

Mark

[ July 13, 2004, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

One adult Great Dane, preferablly not neutered/fixed. Also effective on wife's and neighbor's cats.

I like your recommendation. But I don't have a rifle either. And a pellet gun would be cheaper. Saw a 22cal pellet gun by Crosman with a velocity of ~825fps, online for $160. Hopefully that would do the job? They say it will...of course.
Plus with a pellet gun I won't have to be hassled if I am out in the yard and someone nosey sees me... I did say suburban and my yard is not huge.
wink.gif

quote:

Good point... but how do you apply? Do they make rabbit grinders
lol.gif
Guess I could just run over it with the lawnmower...did that accidentally once, but it worked pretty good
wink.gif
shocked.gif

You can get a Marlin Model 60 for under $190 new, maybe even cheaper, but that's what I saw online. Probably find one for half that used. I paid under $100 for a new one 20 years ago. Still shoots straight and reliably.

Course if you are in the suburbs... I'd get a Sheridan Blue Streak. They are in that price range and pack a serious punch. Have no problem dealing with "wabbits."

[ July 13, 2004, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

quote:

Rabbits make great fertilizer in my garden./ Good point... but how do you apply?

A shovel and some powdered lime.Flowers and tomatoes are looking good.Have over a dozen fertilized spots(so far)in the garden.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
I like your recommendation. But I don't have a rifle either. And a pellet gun would be cheaper. Saw a 22cal pellet gun by Crosman with a velocity of ~825fps, online for $160. Hopefully that would do the job? They say it will...of course.
Plus with a pellet gun I won't have to be hassled if I am out in the yard and someone nosey sees me... I did say suburban and my yard is not huge.
wink.gif

quote:

Good point... but how do you apply? Do they make rabbit grinders
lol.gif
Guess I could just run over it with the lawnmower...did that accidentally once, but it worked pretty good
wink.gif
shocked.gif

Jason, forget the Crossman, get a Beeman air rifle. They are one of the best air-guns made. Go to this link: http://www.beeman.com/used.htm
Pick out a used one that has been refurbished. I have picked up my last couple like this, they look brand new. Email me for questions and recipes
grin.gif
-Joe

I'd find their run, and snare them. It's more kid friendly than traps, maybe not so cat friendly.

Then cook the tasty buggers and eat them (the rabbits, not cats or kids).

If you go with a .22 rifle, then Winchester "Long Z" are pretty accurate, and very, very quiet.

A suggestion: before you spend money on traps, snares, or a pellet gun, check to see what your local laws are. Fact is, a pellet gun may be just as illegal to shoot in your suburb as a .30/06.

And while Beeman sells some nice airguns,there are other options too. Here's a good forum with a bunch of folks who are as interested in airguns as BITOG'ers are in oil!
http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537?it=0

quote:

Originally posted by Drew:
One adult Great Dane, preferablly not neutered/fixed. Also effective on wife's and neighbor's cats.

Before you suggest this again, I suggest a visit to you local animal shelter. Might leave them a check too. Disposing of all the slaghtered dogs and cats is expensive.

It is tough to kill them fast enough to keep up with their reproductive rate. Besides, they do most of their eating at night. I prefer to be sleeping then. I have had fair luck just sprinkling lime on stuff. Do not kill your wife's or the neighbors' cats. They are effective too. Gets rid of all those birds that chirp in the morning too.

Labman is exactly right. Cats can effectively chase away rabbits just as well as dogs, and you won't have to dispose of a dead animal, either. The rabbits will stay away because of the cat. Obviously, you would want one that has all its claws. Non-nuetered males will be more agressive, but won't be very friendly as pets. Even many neutered cats still have a good hunting instinct, though.

This might work.Find an owl,not a REAL one
grin.gif
,but a life size replica of one.Place it to look like it is perched on a limb,post etc. in an area that the rabbits will be able to see it.This should scare the rabbits away.It may also keep some of the unwanted birds out of your area.
There's a local car dealer that has an owl perched up high on a poll in front of his lot.I had to look several times to make sure it wasn't real,it really is life like.I am thinking he has done this to keep birds from flying over and bombing the cars on the lot.Whoooo knows,it just might work.
smile.gif

My only problem with getting a cat for pest control is that you aren't guranteed a good hunter.

I love my current cat, Maggie, but she's a big, fat, fluffy wimp who doesn't even know what to do with mice, let alone rabbits.
frown.gif

My cat before her (Tabitha) was a world-class hunter, and the two cats we've gotten since (Molly & Little One) are good hunters but Little One is too small to go after rabbits.

Molly might have been the best of all. Friendly pet but a super-agressive hunter. Problem was, she would actually attack cars ... and that's what killed her.
frown.gif

Our tom (Tigger) was a terrific hunter ... until he got older, fatter and lazy.
rolleyes.gif

The cheapest solution to rabbits is a used .22 bolt action rifle. Should be able to find one for $100 or less.

But I don't know the local laws in your town about discharging firearms.
tongue.gif

Dispose of the carcasses? Where's my shovel?
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

[ July 14, 2004, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Bror Jace ]

the Beeman Crow Magnum would be my choice. .25 caliber gas spring piston air rifle. My RWS spring piston .177 caliber does good job on rabbits if you hit them in the right spot.

quote:

Originally posted by carrera79:
the Beeman Crow Magnum would be my choice. .25 caliber gas spring piston air rifle. My RWS spring piston .177 caliber does good job on rabbits if you hit them in the right spot.

I prefer my .375 H&H with a 300gr Nosler Partition and 82gr of IMR 4350....oops, we're talking rabbits in the burbs, not bulls in the timber...
pat.gif

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back