R84082HP filter unknown miles tear in media

A relative of mine bought a 2012 GMC terrain with a 2.4 liter ecotec last year, put 6500 miles on it and I did an oil change and some other service work. The dealer it was purchased from said they changed the oil and its had 6500 miles put on it since purchase but I dont think they actually changed it. The oil was the nastiest smelling oil I've drained in a long time and the filter looks like it's been in there forever. The viton o ring for the oil filter cap was even brittle and it had sludgy oil coming out of the pleats. I noticed upon further Inspection the media is torn. The part number appears to be a carquest? filter. The oil was so bad when the engine was running you could smell this rancid oil vapor mist from several feet away. That smell completely went away with fresh oil. Quite an odd experience with that one.
20220204_133336.jpg
20220204_133345.jpg
20220204_133436.jpg

I used valvoline maxlife high mileage 10w40 and 1 quart of marvel mystery oil to clean the thing out. Owner said it's running super smooth and quiet now. Going to do a few short oil changes with that combo then figure something else out. A fram Ch9018 filter went back in. Probably going to figure on 3500 to 4000 mile OCI with this engine after everything is said and done.

the GM 2.4 liter ecotec engine has a reputation of oil dilution due to to high fuel
pressure, and other design flaws. Shorter OCIs helps some. Do a search of
Equinox/Terrain engines.
Yes, going to clean the metered orifice PCV system in the lower intake this weekend, not a stranger to the ecotec engines I used to own one, and rebuilt the top end after the timing chain skipped time!

I used valvoline maxlife high mileage 10w40 and 1 quart of marvel mystery oil to clean the thing out. Owner said it's running super smooth and quiet now. Going to do a few short oil changes with that combo then figure something else out. A fram Ch9018 filter went back in. Probably going to figure on 3500 to 4000 mile OCI with this engine after everything is said and done.
Skip the MMO and just use a good oil. If you want a cleaner, @High Performance Lubricants sells a dedicated one that uses esters, making it a far better product than MMO, which is mostly light pale oil and mineral spirits that will flash off rapidly.

Skip the MMO and just use a good oil. If you want a cleaner, @High Performance Lubricants sells a dedicated one that uses esters, making it a far better product than MMO, which is mostly light pale oil and mineral spirits that will flash off rapidly.
I have had good success with it as a mild crankcase cleaner in many engines over the years , not going to use it forever. I dont want to put an aggressive cleaner in this thing especially since it's not my car. Just trying to help the guy out on the cheap.

Is this another rebaged Champion filter? They seem to be among the worst Ecotec filters about twisting, I like Using the Fram XG9018 because of the backing.

Out of the Ecotec cartridge choices, your best bet is the Hengst made AC Delco or Purflux L264A , otherwise stick to something wire backed. Champion seems to make a great majority of them out there, they make the Supertech cartridge, the Valvoline Cartridge, are the supplier for the private labels used at many quick lube places, and they make most of the AC Delco filters you find.

Out of the Ecotec cartridge choices, your best bet is the Hengst made AC Delco or Purflux L264A , otherwise stick to something wire backed. Champion seems to make a great majority of them out there, they make the Supertech cartridge, the Valvoline Cartridge, are the supplier for the private labels used at many quick lube places, and they make most of the AC Delco filters you find.
I have no idea who makes that filter. When I searched the part number on the side it came up as a carquest filter. It was definitely in there far too long.

I'm not going to condemn the cartridge here. Cartridges of all brands for ecotec engine applications have often shown up here with a squished, smushed, an ugly looking appearance. There was even a Hengst US made filter post use anecdote that had a similar 'type' result. It is true though, the US made Hengst cartridge seems to have the best overall post use results.

I'm going with the OP and engine/filter maintenance (lack of it) here as being the main contributor media appearance result here. Just seen too many of this application cartridge to blame this one specifically. My .02

Last edited:
I have had good success with it as a mild crankcase cleaner in many engines over the years , not going to use it forever. I dont want to put an aggressive cleaner in this thing especially since it's not my car. Just trying to help the guy out on the cheap.
The ester-based cleaner won't be more aggressive, in fact it would be less harsh, but more effective, providing longer term gentle cleaning and not flashing off rapidly like MMO.

Back