R134A Temporarily Legal In Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wisconsin was the only state that banned the sale of R134a Refrigerant to the general public. Even licensed technicians could not buy it in less than 15 pound containers.

I recently found out that the rule has been suspended from July 12 to Dec 9 of this year. At that point it is scheduled to become illegal again. I just bought a couple of 12 ounce cans at Autozone.

I guess laws don't have to make sense. If you are from Wisconsin, now's your chance to buy refrigerant for your car without a trip to Illinois.

Huh...I thought that only applied to CFC 12.

Being 609 MVAC certified I probably shouldn't suggest this but next time you might want to check out the air horn refills at AutoZone. Half the price but it's the same tetrafluoroethane. An argument could be made for purity but I know lots of people who use it and never have a problem.

Same with 90% of computer canned air dusters. It's all R134. Leave it to the EPA to restrict a product and then allow thousands of pounds of it to be dumped into the air every year in other applications.

Yup. The People's Republic of Wisconsin had banned the sale of R134a to the general public, and apparently will again. It's highly illegal to discharge a whiff of tetrafluorethane refrigerant into the atmosphere, but you can discharge it through your air horn or onto your keyboard all day with without a worry about the law. Government . . . .

The air horn propellant and dedusting cans I have found don't fit my charging hose. Believe me, I've looked. Maybe I should look a little more.

Can tap...

-

Thanks for the headsup on the ban going back into effect I will stockup. The first batch I bought I got in michigan then was suprized to find it here.

So why lift the ban in the first place, only to reinstate it again?

I know I was one of those making the trip to IL to bootleg it back.

I know the shops that service A/C are starting to whine, saying that all the DIYers are going to affect their business. My response to one shop owner was, Then places like Wal-Mart should stop selling oil and filters and such too. The DIY oil change people are certainly making a dent in your business too.
Little was said after bringing up that point.

Forget the whiners - they charge INSANE amounts to do this.
Make prices reasonable, and I will let THEM do it.
Crooks get theirs when they rip people off.
When they made it illegal, hence keeping me from doing it for less than $15, they opened the flood-gates in hot places liek this for a-holes to charge $80-$100 for the same service.
Bunk.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
... No more drug refrigerant runs to IL, at least not for R-134a: ...

crackmeup2.gif

Good for WI motorists. Congrats!
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back