R1234yf AC refrigerant

Looks like the change over to R1234YF refrigerant in autos sold in USA is pretty much complete. Sources say that Ford was the last auto maker to change. No more R134A.

Here is an excerpt from a 2022 Ford Explorer owners manual.

053807D5-43A8-467F-8A44-5153F44A2E2E.png

Did a 2021 Explorer still have 134A?

I know the 1234YF is super expensive. Had to replace a condenser on my Mom's 2018 Tahoe and we were at least $40 per can of 1234YF.

The 2020 and up Explorers all use R1234YF. Using the 2022 model as an example that Ford switched seems... odd.

Depends on the vehicle in the lineup... F150's switched in 2017 for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: wtd
R1234yf was in my 2015 Ram 1500 I had… it was super expensive to fix that failed system. Parts were not the big spend but the refrigerant.

Chrysler started early.

I wonder if they will treat r134a same as r12, that is they will require a license to purchase and make it illegal to produce eventually. I would say probably yes, that’s how DuPont and Honeywell ensure their business.
I stocked up on R134a when they are still $5/can.

Honestly, my take is that 1234YF isn't going to stick. I've already seen OEM's back peddle, after the whole "flammability" thing came out.

Granted, I don't see many 2015+ vehicles for AC work, but from what I have seen it appears as though 1234YF was no more than a failed experiment.

Honestly, my take is that 1234YF isn't going to stick. I've already seen OEM's back peddle, after the whole "flammability" thing came out.

Granted, I don't see many 2015+ vehicles for AC work, but from what I have seen it appears as though 1234YF was no more than a failed experiment.

EU already mandated its use, USA may have already or are about to. This isn’t driven by the market, but by lobby. So we are going to get it wether we like it or not. Unless there will be accidents of people burning alive because of this refrigerant. I do hope it won’t come to this and no one will be hurt or die because of this refrigerant.

Last edited:
My Tacoma is the first 1234yf equipped vehicle in the fleet. There have been several reports of leaking condensers in those trucks. Luck be it the last time I used my AC its performance was very, very poor. So, guess I get to make a warranty trip in the Spring... :mad:

The Subaru also has the newer stuff in it. We'll see how that one fairs as well.

The 2020 and up Explorers all use R1234YF. Using the 2022 model as an example that Ford switched seems... odd.

Depends on the vehicle in the lineup... F150's switched in 2017 for example.
Yep, my fiancé's 2017 F150 uses R1234yf while her stepdad's 2017 F350 still uses R134a.

When the AC clutch let go last year on her truck, we could not find any local shops to repair it since none of them had the equipment to do so. They said that they didn't see enough vehicles in for repair yet to warrant spending the money to buy the new equipment or the refrigerant since it's so expensive. I called at least 5 independent shops. We had to take it to the dealer for repair.

I have two full 30 lb. tanks of R134a and a little bit left in another, so I'm set for a while as all of my vehicles still take that refrigerant.

Back