r tek carb cleaning question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I just bought a nice used Toro CCR 2450 (model # 38516, 2005 vintage) off CL for $100. Really nice shape but of course I replaced the paddles, scraper bar, belt, plug, fuel line and fuel filter and cleaned the carb. Wasn't all necessary but I enjoy doing it and I have a like new blower, now.

r%20tek%20carb.jpg

My question is about the carb. (this blower has the R tek motor with plastic carb).There is a brass jet on the left side under the sticker. I removed the sticker to remove and clean the jet. Now that I've put it back the sticker doesn't adhere anymore over the jet. It appeared like it was sealed almost airtight under the sticker prior to removal. Does it matter if this jet is sealed under the sticker or not? I suppose I could put a small piece of electrical tape over it if necessary.

I haven't seen this question addressed in any of the youtube videos I watched on this carb.

Thanks for the help...and let it snow! (in another 4 months or so..no big hurry)

I owned a Toro 221QR with the R-tek engine. I do not recall seeing anything like you've mentioned. My machine started acting up only hours after buying it brand new. I pulled the float bowl off and found debris (plastic bits) inside. Cleaned it up and it ran great afterward.

I suggest you run the machine with the tape off to see what happens. If it works well, just leave it.

Are you certain that it's covering a jet. A close up pic of the "jet" would be very helpful.

Is that a plastic carb? Mine had an aluminum carb.

here is a close up of the pilot jet. Per the manual I found online it says the pilot jet is beneath the sticker, and it shows it in place without the sticker...maybe I'm overthinking this thing...

pilot%20jet.jpg

That is unusual. I see it has a slot in it which is not unusual. Most carbs I've worked on have pilot jets that have access directly to the float bowl or a gallery for fuel flow.

I'm just guessing now, but could that arrangement possibly be for adjusting the low speed rpms? Moving the screw in or out might allow for more/less fuel/air mixture to facilitate engine starting? Once set, they cover it to keep people from messing with it.

If it's screwed in tight, then that theory is likely wrong. I would then think the slot is for removal of the jet for cleaning purposes.

Have you tried to run it with the jet uncovered? If so, what happened?

Originally Posted By: iahawk
Thanks for the help...and let it snow! (in another 4 months or so..no big hurry)

Sorry, but now that you have a snow thrower, you are subject to the Snow Thrower's owner's curse. Snow will conspicuously avoid your house for up to 3 years. By the time you get snow, your snow thrower will be out of service.
smile.gif

the machine is still all torn apart so I haven't put it back together to see how it runs..hope to do that in the next day or 2. All shrouds and fuel tank and line are off..but thanks for the advice so far!

Sorry, but now that you have a snow thrower, you are subject to the Snow Thrower's owner's curse. Snow will conspicuously avoid your house for up to 3 years. By the time you get snow, your snow thrower will be out of service.
smile.gif

[/quote]

if that's true then it was a small price to pay for a snow free winter!

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: iahawk

smile.gif

My father in law has that issue. Every time winter that he drags his blower for his tractor out and gets it unstuck it doesn't snow. If it stays buried behind a bunch of machinery begin the barn it will show enough that he can't get to it.

I think you're overthinking this with the sticker. Did you just pull the jet and clean, or did you replace it with the larger B&S jet that many of the Lawn Boy Duraforce owners do to get rid of the surging?

It may not surge in summer weather, but come winter it just might and then the bigger jet will solve that, as would drilling the current jet out with micro drill bits.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I think you're overthinking this with the sticker. Did you just pull the jet and clean, or did you replace it with the larger B&S jet that many of the Lawn Boy Duraforce owners do to get rid of the surging?

It may not surge in summer weather, but come winter it just might and then the bigger jet will solve that, as would drilling the current jet out with micro drill bits.

I've found that using cutting torch cleaners is an effective way to increase tiny orifices found in jets etc.

I hadn't thought about drilling out or replacing the main jet...surging motors do drive me nuts..(Threeput..I just cleaned and replaced existing jets)

Does anyone happen to have a B&S part code for the bigger main jet?

Gotta say that Toro did a much better job with the ease of service access on this CCR 2450 vs my old Toro S-200..that one is a pain to work on

OK, quick search shows it's the pilot jet the duraforce guys replace...and it looks like they replace it with the r tek jet?

Does this mean the r tek runs better (less surging) than the duraforce?

On the R-Tek engine, the pilot jet is bigger than the Duraforce. The main jet is bigger on the Duraforce than the R-Tek. Will a combination of the R-Tek pilot with the Durforce main yield a better result? I've never seen a reason to attempt it as every R-Tek engine I've used has run with ridiculous power and surge free in proper working order.

The sticker is there for show, to mark the carb part number and identify warranty violations. If you find the jet is backing out from vibration, a little blue threadlocker is all you need.

great info! thanks for clearing up my confusion over that sticker, PhilsSmallEngine...and I did put a little blue threadlocker on the pilot jet (per the service manual).

I'll get a pic posted in the next few days when the blower is all back together...looking good for 10 yrs old...

thanks for the help from everyone here...awesome forum (and always my first stop on BITOG)

my 'new' blower is all back together...attached a few pics

2015-08-09%2011%2018%2042.jpg

2015-08-09%2011%2018%2014.jpg

and here it is next to the old Toro S200 I built from 2 machines 2 years ago..

2015-08-09%2011%2019%2015.jpg

I also have a 24" Ariens for the big snows...my wife doesn't understand why I need multiple snowblowers..nothing beats having the right tool for the job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back