R T6 5w40 - 2124 - Jeep 4.0 - coolant and lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

*** edited *** Jeep Sahara 2002. 4.0L Automatic Trans. Fully stock.

Recently changed the oil in my Jeep 4.0. Only 2124 miles on the oil, but that's a lot of idling and city driving. Blackstone Labs mentions ATF in the oil... just an FYI... I added a 1/2 quart to the engine oil to help free up a stuck lifter. It worked. Only ran the engine oil for ~150 miles with the ATF inside of it.

Coolant @ 1% and lead @ 9. What do you think?

Engine Oil is Rotella T6 5W40. Wix Oil and Air filters. I used to run MOS2 as an additive... there is no MOS2 in this sample.

I think I have a headgasket leak.
frown.gif

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
The 2000 through early 2002 heads with the 331. Casting number crack under the oil fill. Take the cap off and see if you can read "tupy" on it or not. The tupy head is the updated one that does not normally crack.

I know the 4.0 had issues with a #331 head that would crack. You can look for the casting # (maybe) . Unsure of the symptoms of a cracked head. Others may know.

How about the coolant level?

Also the tapping sound of a lifter is similar to the sound a cracked piston skirt makes.

I think you need to pull the head and check for cracks. Magnaflux.

Originally Posted by Chris142
The 2000 through early 2002 heads with the 331. Casting number crack under the oil fill. Take the cap off and see if you can read "tupy" on it or not. The tupy head is the updated one that does not normally crack.

I can confirm the it's a TUPI head. I had the valve cover off about 2 weeks ago for a new valve cover gasket.

Originally Posted by 2006_Charger_R/T
Originally Posted by Chris142

I can confirm the it's a TUPI head. I had the valve cover off about 2 weeks ago for a new valve cover gasket.

Then it's not likely a crack. Anything is possible though.

Too add. I bought the vehicle new. Never been overheated. I recently took the vehicle on a trip and I had a very loud tapping that was really bad half way through the trip (even when the engine was at normal operating temp). I had no choice but to run the vehicle (~200 miles) and by the time I got home the tapping was gone. That is when I dropped in 1/2 quart of ATF, ran the engine for ~150 miles and then I dropped the oil. Right or wrong I ran the ATF to "flush" the engine.

I might have a piston skirt cracked, but at a certain point, I need to call it.

I guess I could pull the head and have it checked at a local shop. If it's crakced, they don't seem too expensive.

How did they get coolant at 1%? There is nearly no potassium, which is usually higher when there is a coolant leak. There is also no water content?? The lead may be explainable, and I would do another UOA to verify it comes back down... I am not a chemist but you may have seriously thrown something out of whack with the ATF... yes, it seems to have worked, but ATF in oil is generally frowned upon. I would do your next OCI out to 3k and retest; just use regular oil this time, no additives. Other than the cracked heads, 4.0s are generally super sturdy as long as you don't overheat them.

O/T, but I gotta ask - what happened to your 2006 Charger? It must have monster mileage on it by now?

Good to see you again!

Originally Posted by addyguy
O/T, but I gotta ask - what happened to your 2006 Charger? It must have monster mileage on it by now?

Good to see you again!

Hi there.... i still have the charger. I have ~314,000 miles on it.
smile.gif
I need to post a few UAOs for it. Yeah... it's been a while since I've posted.

Glad to be back!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back