R+T The EV is the car of the future, and it might always be

Status
Not open for further replies.
And then, there is environmental impact of the solar that the environmentalists don't like to mention.

Originally Posted by Y_K
And then, there is environmental impact of the solar that the environmentalists don't like to mention.

There are hazardous materials used in the semiconductor manufacture process.
I worked in SEMI for 20+ years.
The amount of stainless steel piping and the hazardous material handling, disposal, etc is staggering.
Bricks and mortar for a new wafer fab is about $1B.

Energy seems to be a topic that always becomes polarized and heated discussions.

I think sooner or later all cars will borrow traits from each other. Normal cars will all get a little bit of hybrid techs (i.e. stop start, regen braking, electric power steering and AC, electric water pump, etc), and hybrid / EV will reduce some expensive tech to make them more cost effective (no more super cap, smaller batteries, battery bay for long trip "top off").

I don't think every car will be EV in the future, but when every family has 2-3 vehicles, having 1 commuter that gets super good economy make sense. They already have a crew cab pickup or 3 row SUV for vacation and home depot run anyways, so might as well go EV for the commuter.

In Europe and Asia where they don't drive too far most of the time, and tax dictate the final price, AND NATIONAL ENERGY SECURITY REASON, encouraging EV instead of ICE vehicles make a lot of sense. US is an oil producer and super power in the world, no one will run out of gas in their lifetime here, so it is not as big of a deal as, say Japan, China, Germany, France, Vietnam, Singapore, etc.

Battery based drone on driverless UPS / FedEx trucks will change the world. When that happens you will be driving 1/2 of what you drive now because going to the store will be more expensive than having stuff landing in your backyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back