R.I.P Junior Seau

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mixologist
Three kids... No sympathy here. You can't check out because your life is 'hard' when you have people (especially kids) who depend on you.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
I have seen first hand how a suicide can hurt a family. I am sorry for them but feel he is a coward for not dealing with whatever issue he had that he thought was worth dying over.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.

I thought maybe my brain was wired wrong or something, but I have a difficult time feeling any empathy for a person who commits suicide. They got what they wanted....and passed all that pain on to their loved ones.

I've seen it firsthand too. Just recently. A friend of mine since I was 11.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: Mixologist
Three kids... No sympathy here. You can't check out because your life is 'hard' when you have people (especially kids) who depend on you.

What if he died of cancer?

He had money, and now his kids have money.

If he killed himself because of the intense pain from being repeatedly hit, than I can see why he did it. I know a few people with extreme pain from cancer that checked out with a gunshot. Medicine doesn't help.

If he killed himself because he was a Narcissist and was no longer in the spotlight, than it was better for everyone even his kids.

R.I.P Buddy.

Simply one perspective by a SD native:

I wouldnt say that I knew him by ANY means, but have had two chance meetings with him - one at Seaus and another in Oceanside - both times he was a true gentleman. Real and down-to-earth, albeit cliche terms, were my take away message from our encounters.

SD is in great mourning. His contributions to the local community and the children of SD will be forever in our memories.

As an outsider but someone who loves the game, I must say that I can only hope his family, God bless them, choose to allow his brain to be submitted to the NFL brain bank for examination. My humble and uninformed opinion is that a concussion(s) may have played a part in this unfortunate outcome.

The NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry that has a horse in this race. I love the hits and the game wouldnt be the same without them.

But is the ultimate cost worth it?

Today is not the time to ask my opinion on the matter. The world has lost a great Man.

The violence in the NFL game is/was over the top. It'll likely be football injury related. The negative comments about this man are unwarranted. Those making them, I'm sure, did not know this man. Yes the NFL has its share of thugs. This guy wasn't one of them.

As a true fan of the game, I'm happy the NFL is getting serious about the Lon term effects on the players's bodies. It's bit of a moral dilemma to be a fan of the game when these guys are sacrificing their health for the fans. The game can still be enjoyable without the extremely violent hits.

I doubt football had anything to do with his suicide.
Many people commit suicide due to personal problems in their life.

That NFL lawsuit is a result of players who blew their money, I'm sure Warren Sapp and Terrell Owens will be a part of it.

A former teammate was on the radio this past week. His best guess: between high school, college, and 20 years in the NFL, Junior Seau had more than ONE THOUSAND concussions in his football career. Basically, I suspect his brain looks like it has been in a demolition derby. I suspect he may have been dealing with the early stages of dementia and/or ALS.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I doubt football had anything to do with his suicide.
Many people commit suicide due to personal problems in their life.

That NFL lawsuit is a result of players who blew their money, I'm sure Warren Sapp and Terrell Owens will be a part of it.

You are talking out of your sphincter. I guarantee that football had EVERYTHING to do with Seau's suicide. The lawsuit is from players that basically had their brains scrambled while playing for peanuts, and are now left with no medical coverage (and, with their preexisting problems, are totally uninsurable).

OK. So why aren't more football players killing themselves?

If that's the case then his family needs to sue the NFL for all his problems and for causing his suicide. The NFL is to blame for what happened.

OK. So why aren't more football players killing themselves?

They're killing themselves in greatly disproportionate numbers to the general population, something like 6-8 times the national average. To claim it has no relation to football is ridiculous.

If that's the case then his family needs to sue the NFL for all his problems and for causing his suicide. The NFL is to blame for what happened.

No question in my mind that NFL is in part responsible for not taking a more aggressive stance years ago. To their credit, they're at least trying to do something about it now. The Colt McCoy incident from this year shows they have a way to go...

Concussions are a real problem. I've had a few major ones, including a nice sized scar on my forehead where I suspect it cracked my skull. So far no ramifications mentally that I know of.

There's no real cure for it. However, football players now know about the severity of them and can make a choice if they want to go down that path. There is no avoiding the possibility of head injury in a contact sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back