Quieting The Good Old Subaru Death Rattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Forster S EJ251 N/A, 221,700 miles. Uses a tiny bit of oil. I stopped using Mobil 1 5w30 in it last year deciding to drop down to conventional until I got around to fixing leaks and or using oil. With Mobil Super High Mileage 5w30 it's getting the good old death rattle Scoobies are known for. There is no indication of engine damage so I'm thinking it's the oil choice, or am I wrong? What suggestions do you all have? Any Scooby owners know of an oil or additive to kill the "Death Rattle"?

Thanks for replies!!!

Probably talking about piston slap. Try switching back and seeing if it goes away, but it's unlikely. It's inherent to the skirtless piston boxer engine design. It's nbd honestly.

Yeah, this is a tough one!
An oil that may help quiet a noisy engine is Quaker State DEFY in either 5W30/10W30 or 10W40 or, an HDEO 15W40...IDK, this is something that you'll have to experiment with from OCI to OCI!

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Sorry, but what is the "death rattle"

What KenO said. Boxers are prone to piston slap. Others have posted in the past about which lube work best to quiet it down on various web pages. I have searched but haven't gotten much info.

I would try PYB HM 5W30 with Motor Oil Saver and the Fram Ultra filter... If anything quiets down valve train noise, it is this combination. My sons car is running fantastic on it. It has cut down on oil consumption and in Wisconsin Winters, it is quiet and smooth on startup. It took around 200 miles before we noticed how quiet the engine sounded.

Last edited:
As far as I know, there are 2 possible sources of "Rattle" in Subaru 2.5 motors.......Piston slap and rod knock.

Piston slap is loudest on cold fireup, and tends to quiet down when the engine reaches operating temperature. It is not a "Death rattle" as many engines live for 100k or much more, with this sound effect in place, with no other consequences.

Rod knock (Or even main bearing knock) is a whole different problem. It is generally quietest at cold startup, and gets worse as the oil gets up to operating temp. That is a true death rattle, and will only get worse in relatively short order.

Any other knock is probably an external problem. The valvetrain may click or tap, but nothing that could be described as a rattle. Belt tensioners are an external source of knock, and will cause the car to come to an unscheduled stop soon. A timing belt tensioner (Or idler) will fail with valves meeting pistons.

As far as the first 2, (Piston slap and bearing knock) I do not believe oil choice is going to have much effect, though 40 or 50 weight oil may give some (Probably short term) relief.

If by "death rattle" you mean piston slap, I found our 03 was quietest on a higher moly oil.

PYB 5w30
QSUD 5w30+ a can of MOS2
Probably Defy or Pennzoil HM as well.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
As far as I know, there are 2 possible sources of "Rattle" in Subaru 2.5 motors.......Piston slap and rod knock.

Piston slap is loudest on cold fireup, and tends to quiet down when the engine reaches operating temperature. It is not a "Death rattle" as many engines live for 100k or much more, with this sound effect in place, with no other consequences.

Rod knock (Or even main bearing knock) is a whole different problem. It is generally quietest at cold startup, and gets worse as the oil gets up to operating temp. That is a true death rattle, and will only get worse in relatively short order.

Any other knock is probably an external problem. The valvetrain may click or tap, but nothing that could be described as a rattle. Belt tensioners are an external source of knock, and will cause the car to come to an unscheduled stop soon. A timing belt tensioner (Or idler) will fail with valves meeting pistons.

As far as the first 2, (Piston slap and bearing knock) I do not believe oil choice is going to have much effect, though 40 or 50 weight oil may give some (Probably short term) relief.

Right.
If it's piston slap that's most noticeable on start-up the oil choice isn't going the make much difference.
If on the other hand you have real "death rattle" which is rod knock at normal operating temp's, heavier oil can forestall the inevitable.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

there is one more, rattling timing chain tensioner. i had it fixed in mine under warranty, there is TSB for that.

It does get quieter as the engine warms up. The timing w/ water pump was done less than 10,000 miles ago. I noticed a little blue smoke every now and again when it's sat overnight, that stops as soon as I accelerate. I bought the car with 179,000 on it 3 years ago. All the maintenance from the previous owner was done at the Subaru Dealer. Do not know what oil they used, assume it was whatever bulk they had on hand and at what they recommended as a change interval. Just ordered a bottle of Liqui Molly 2020. Still go with Defy or YB HM then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back