Quickest time to kill a new tire?

Got a set of Contis installed on wife's Q5 this morning. Within 5 miles and 10 minutes of leaving the shop, I apparently hit something on the hwy doing 75 MPH. I hear a loud bang, and all air is lost almost instantly. I pull over to the side almost immediately, but the tire is a goner. Strangely the low pressure warning never came on. I guess it takes a while to register a pressure difference on vehicles that don't have physical sensors. I initially thought maybe they installed it incorrectly, but upon inspection, there is a puncture in the tread area, so I must have hit something, even though I did not see it.

Sadly, they can't get another one of these tires in stock for another week, and we're leaving on a road trip in 2 days, so we'll be driving on noisy winter tires. Ugh.... :(

Last edited:
I have over a million miles driven and have never had a tire blow out (except one on a landscaping trailer). Of course our roads are probably a lot better than here since we get almost no winter weather.

I went to high school with a guy who's dad put brand new tires on their 13 passenger van. We were waiting for his dad to get home from the tire shop, so we could use the van to go out. We took the van and drove a couple miles from his house and my friend decided to see how much white smoke these new tires would make. He power braked for what seemed like a LONG time, I finally told him maybe that was enough. When he stopped, we went back to check out the black mark. What we found was a PILE of rubber and a pretty much ruined right rear tire. Needless to say his dad was none to please when he found the tire the next morning.

Time to destroy a new tire, about 20 minutes from leaving the tire shop.

A few years back I got Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 on X5, 7 miles, and some change later, I pick up 15mm wrench on the road. Somehow went through the tire, lost air instantly. TPMS did immediately show up in my case.

Pete, same thing happened to one of my good friends many years ago when we were up and comers eating rice and beans for dinner every night. He bought a set of Pirelli P6s. Within a day or two he ran over a spark plug(!), which pierced the tire insulator end first, burying itself hex end deep. Surprising thing was we absolutely could not remove that spark plug no matter how hard we tried to twist and pull it out with pliers and vice grips. That brand new tire tread had a really tight grip!

Scott

Last edited:
I bought new Douglas 155/80r13s for the Hyundai Accent I helped my sister buy. Drove home 8 miles. Went out next day, one tire was flat. No obvious damage. Walmart couldn't fix it or didn't want to, but gave me another one no questions asked.

Got a set of Contis installed on wife's Q5 this morning. Within 5 miles and 10 minutes of leaving the shop, I apparently hit something on the hwy doing 75 MPH. I hear a loud bang, and all air is lost almost instantly. I pull over to the side almost immediately, but the tire is a goner. Strangely the low pressure warning never came on. I guess it takes a while to register a pressure difference on vehicles that don't have physical sensors. I initially thought maybe they installed it incorrectly, but upon inspection, there is a puncture in the tread area, so I must have hit something, even though I did not see it.

Sadly, they can't get another one of these tires in stock for another week, and we're leaving on a road trip in 2 days, so we'll be driving on noisy winter tires. Ugh.... :(
With no sensor, you have to drive it a bit for the TPMS to figure out the circumference distance, then the TPMS can be reset via a TPMS reset button or through the MFA

With no sensor, you have to drive it a bit for the TPMS to figure out the circumference distance, then the TPMS can be reset via a TPMS reset button or through the MFA
Yup, that's what I figured.

I was just surprised the tire lost all air immediately. Normally a puncture in the tread area results in a slow leak.

A few years back I got Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 on X5, 7 miles, and some change later, I pick up 15mm wrench on the road. Somehow went through the tire, lost air instantly. TPMS did immediately show up in my case.

I knew that 15MM went somewhere.......

We found a nail on the way home after buying our 03 Tracker, came out the next morning to a flat... But it had a full size spare with the same rim as the other 4 so we carried on and got the tire plugged and it stayed the spare for years after.

I had 4 new tires (retreads) installed on my leased Flatbed work truck in the morning. By the end of the day all 4 had blown out and been replaced. I was not happy.

Back