Quick way to educate people 3K OCI is a WASTE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a 3000 mile guy for most of my life until I came to this site. Now I am a 5000 mile guy.
smirk2.gif

(visions of Obiwan as Luke said that he could almost see the remote with the blast shield down)

Good, you've taken your first step into a much larger world. (paraphrased from memory)

same here. Now I go by my manual (sometimes) but as of now I am doing the warranty thing and going 5K or 6 months, which for me is 5K with my commute. For the winter I may or may not go with the amsoil 0W20 I have and go 10-15K if not longer on that. Unlike the knucklehead in the "are 15K, 25K, 35K post", I check the dipstick weekly and know that if my oil level is at the low line that I need to add 1.5 quarts to get it back up to the full line, which I have not had to do as of yet.

Originally Posted By: Jett Rink

I don't know if they have a state inspection for automobiles in your state, they don't here. Instead of constantly raising the sales tax, I wish the state legislature would switch to some kind of basic auto inspection. Emissions, tires, brakes, lights, what have you. Hardly a day goes by that I don't see a vehicle that is a safety hazard on the roads.

I know some people in some states complain about this, but I nearly got hit yesterday at a stop sign by some car that ran through the intersection with brakes squealing (apparently no pads left to meet the rotors)! Enough is enough.

Oh and requiring a state inspection would surely have fixed that.

I simply get a "dirt causes wear, why suspend dirt in oil, just remove it by changing the oil frequently?" Not all the wear factors, TBN, acid, additive packages, whether an oil can go 10K or 35K and pay $9/quart...etc...

Simple dirt factor...just remove it frequently and you can't go wrong..

That is the argument I get..

Last edited:
Add oxidation and shearing

Some cars and the conditions they are driven in beat the poop out of their oil, and require more frequent oil changes.

Some do..but I don't really see too many of them. I've yet to see many bad UOA's over a broad span of service duties that go a tad out there. In fact ..those who do extended drains RARELY have issues with their length of OCI.

I'd say that I probably have the worst extended drain (time-wise) UOA that I can recall. We've seen some thicken ..some thin ..this and that, but not too many that have done too much in the other markers that we tend to look at as indicators of improper oil conditions as realized by the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back