Quick Sun n Fun review, Lakeland, FL 2022

As is my habit, I flew the Mighty Thunder Cardinal to SnF this year, 3 times. Tues, Fri and Sat. Unfortunately on Fri, I was unable to land at LAL, as they closed the airport for some reason (probably an incident) and after holding for 2+ hours, I turned around and went home. There were 125 aircraft ahead of me and by the time they opened it back up, I was so far back in the cue, I'd never land before the airport closed again for the airshow.

Interestingly, yesterday (Sat) there was a 60Kt+ tailwind on the way home, my 143Kt airplane was over 200Kts for a while, and over 190Kts the entire way. I can't think of a time my plane has gone so fast! I made it home in 37 minutes, LAL to F45 is about 118NM. Normally the trip takes me about an hour, including the traffic patterns. Things like this really show how a faster plane is helpful, even on a short flight.

I always enjoy the show and this year was no exception. In fact, I had the feeling that this year was better than ever! Plenty of vendors were there, and the B1B. First time I've seen one in person. That thing is HUGE.

nhEqwrY.jpg

ytJpDhM.jpg

FR6iu9B.jpg

H0nrxuv.jpg

kTkZ5NO.jpg

Yeah, we had a strong wind out of the north Friday. Headed down to watch the rocket launch, got 41 mpg on the way down (cruise at 60) and 39 heading back north, cruise the same.

Cujet, thank you for the photos! This show gets past me every April. I always think it is later in the month and discover it is already too late to get there. I did attend OSH for the first and only time in 2019. Flew there in my friends Cessna 195. That is a neat fly-in!

I am glad to see that you are flying your plane actively. I sold my Cessna 180 in the Spring of 2019. I miss the freedom of flying when I want. I hope to build an RV9 someday.. O-320, constant speed prop, light weight. I had an RV4 for 16 years and miss it the most of all the planes I've had..

I must set my calendar for next year.

As is my habit, I flew the Mighty Thunder Cardinal to SnF this year, 3 times. Tues, Fri and Sat. Unfortunately on Fri, I was unable to land at LAL, as they closed the airport for some reason (probably an incident) and after holding for 2+ hours, I turned around and went home. There were 125 aircraft ahead of me and by the time they opened it back up, I was so far back in the cue, I'd never land before the airport closed again for the airshow.

Interestingly, yesterday (Sat) there was a 60Kt+ tailwind on the way home, my 143Kt airplane was over 200Kts for a while, and over 190Kts the entire way. I can't think of a time my plane has gone so fast! I made it home in 37 minutes, LAL to F45 is about 118NM. Normally the trip takes me about an hour, including the traffic patterns. Things like this really show how a faster plane is helpful, even on a short flight.

I always enjoy the show and this year was no exception. In fact, I had the feeling that this year was better than ever! Plenty of vendors were there, and the B1B. First time I've seen one in person. That thing is HUGE.

nhEqwrY.jpg

ytJpDhM.jpg

FR6iu9B.jpg

H0nrxuv.jpg

kTkZ5NO.jpg
Is that last one your plane?

nhEqwrY.jpg
I had the privilege of flying the "Bone" (B1B) under the PIC for about 15 minutes from McConnell AFB to Offutt AFB. I had worked on the GFR so we had a real-time test. I had to take 4 hours of simulator training before being allowed in the cockpit. With 120,000 pounds+ of thrust, this was a ride of a lifetime!

Is that last one your plane?
Yes, the Mighty Thunder Cardinal. No perceptible acceleration, no noticeable climb rate. Ya push the throttle all the way to the firewall, and just look down at the runway beside ya. After what seems like an awfully long wait, the pebbles embedded in the runway start moving a little and despite the fact that nothing can be felt, you are in fact moving. Eventually, the earth curves away and you notice that you are above the ground. After that, it's gear up, flaps up and well, more waiting.

It's not actually "that" bad, but it's pretty underpowered. Most airplanes don't pick up much cruise airspeed with a slightly better engine. The Cardinal RG does. That alone speaks volumes! It claims to have 200HP, but in reality, no Angle Valve Lycoming IO360 ever made 200 on a dyno. 193HP is normal with an open exhaust and velocity stack on the throttle body. Once installed, it's more like 180HP. For a 2800 pound bird, that's nowhere near correct.

I love watching cockpit videos of people landing at Sun n Fun. I’d love to go some day just to check out all the cool planes.

I love watching cockpit videos of people landing at Sun n Fun. I’d love to go some day just to check out all the cool planes.
Landing at SNF is an experience, that's for sure. On Friday, while at the Lake Parker hold, there was some guy in a Cessna who broke off from the hold, and headed to LAL, without ATC approval, then argued with the controllers. I swear it sounded just like the guy who is YouTube famous for busting the Class Bravo airspace and arguing with the controller. I can't understand why some people behave this way, but what do I know?

Nice! Any seaplanes?
You bet! There are always a number of them. From Cub's on floats, to the Kodiak, and the Light-Sport's. I spoke with the sales lady for the Kodiak on floats, what a cool setup that was, she was very knowledgeable about the the entire package, and in the aviation world it would be considered quite affordable.

EE56kYF.jpg

58ddBnE.jpg

0OTpq47.jpg

lHnoB7J.jpg

... No perceptible acceleration, no noticeable climb rate. Ya push the throttle all the way to the firewall, and just look down at the runway beside ya. After what seems like an awfully long wait, the pebbles embedded in the runway start moving a little and despite the fact that nothing can be felt, you are in fact moving. Eventually, the earth curves away and you notice that you are above the ground.
Haha, I've experienced that, taking off in a 160 HP C-172 from Rock Springs KRKS at density altitude 9500'. Felt like I needed somebody to give us a push.

Most airplanes don't pick up much cruise airspeed with a slightly better engine.
True, airspeed is roughly proportional to the cube root of power. All else equal, twice the power is only about 25% faster, twice the speed requires roughly 8x the power. But payload and climb rate, that's where you really notice the extra power, closer to a linear relationship there.

... It claims to have 200HP, but in reality, no Angle Valve Lycoming IO360 ever made 200 on a dyno. 193HP is normal with an open exhaust and velocity stack on the throttle body. Once installed, it's more like 180HP. For a 2800 pound bird, that's nowhere near correct.
I've read rumors over the years that the piston engine certification process requires each engine to produce X% of its rated power on the dyno before it leaves the factory. X is something like 100 or 110. In other words, they're supposed to be conservatively rated. Or maybe that is not a regulatory requirement but something that certain builders/overhaulers like Penn Yan do?

PS: nice pics, thanks for sharing.

I've read rumors over the years that the piston engine certification process requires each engine to produce X% of its rated power on the dyno before it leaves the factory. X is something like 100 or 110. In other words, they're supposed to be conservatively rated. Or maybe that is not a regulatory requirement but something that certain builders/overhaulers like Penn Yan do?
The engine was certified to produce 200 HP +/- 5% for the certification standards in the past, 190HP was in the acceptable range. Today's standards are +5% / -0. Dyno testing of many engines involves using a velocity-stack on the carb or throttle body, and a tuned dyno exhaust. "As installed" is always less.

Despite claims by overhaul shops, the older versions of these engines (in stock form) never produce more than rated power.

We must remember, the intake plumbing upstream of the throttle body, and exhaust are often made by the airframe manufacturer and include things like restrictive tiny airfilters, complex plumbing and quiet, restrictive exhausts. I like to joke about my plane being down on power, because it is. I put a tuned header on it, and the improvement was obvious. Lopresti was able to show a 7Kt gain in cruise speed with a ram-air setup.

Back