Quick review of my 2022 Ford Maverick

Hi all. So I posted a different thread asking opinions on replacement tires for my 2022 Maverick and someone asked for some thoughts on the truck. So here ya go. **EDIT - Dang that turned out much longer than I had planned...sorry.

I ordered my Maverick at the end of June (before they started producing them) and received it at the end of October. I have put just under 3k miles on it. It is an XLT AWD with the 2.0 Ecoboost and 4K tow package. I have had zero problems out of it in the brief time that I have owned it and haven't really done much to it other than window tint and replacing the factory wheels with a set of Bronco Sport wheels and upsized Michelin Defender tires. In the last year I have owned a 17 F150 5.0 and a 21 Ranger XLT. I traded the Ranger for the Maverick after 6 months of ownership and do not particularly miss it. It is my primary source of comparison.

What I like about the Maverick:
I love the ride height. I'm young(ish) so getting in and out isn't an issue but the Maverick is the perfect height for ease and comfort and also for loading and unloading things to and from the cargo bed. I like the size. The interior dimensions of the Maverick and Ranger are practically identical (the Eco Mav actually has more rear legroom) but the Maverick manages to do so in a much smaller exterior package that actually feels more open than the Ranger. I like the ride quality and handling...as compared to the Ranger in particular. The Maverick is a good blend of sport and comfort with a slight nod toward sport. It's no sports car but it feels like one in the curves compared to the Ranger. The Ranger was a roll machine. I like the styling, both inside and out. The exterior is nice and squared off which lends to a slightly aggressive look and the interior is very practical. Everything is placed appropriately and designed very simply and utilitarian. The interior materials, while on the cheaper end, are also very outside the box which keeps it from being boring. I like the overall build quality. I had some panel gap misalignments and complaints about the finishes (such as the door handles and window trim) on the Ranger but none of that with the Maverick. Panel gaps are spot on and materials, while not high-end, are at least better than the Ranger. I like that the Maverick has more rear under-seat storage and that the rear windows roll all the way down into the doors. I like 24 mpg in town and on backroads where the Ranger struggled to hold 19. I have only really taken the Maverick on one short road trip and it got 28 running 70-80mph. I like the price of the Maverick. I lost just a little bit of money trading in the 6 month old Ranger and still came out owing over $6k less on the Maverick.

What I don't like or would like to see improved:
My two biggest complaints involve sound. The Maverick transmits a fair amount of road noise into the cabin. It's pretty quiet on smooth surfaces but older rough or course asphalt makes a good bit of road noise. It's not the tires. I have been through three sets at this point...the OEM Falken Wildpeaks, 600 miles on a set of Firestone Destination LE3s (satisfaction warrantied...see my other post), and now the Michelin Defenders. The Defenders have quieted it the most but it's still there and therefore I believe to be just a characteristic of the truck. Not terribly surprising at this price point. The other complaint regarding noise is the engine. It's actually really quite 90% of the time...quieter than the Ranger. But it has an annoying 4cyl buzz right around 2500 RPM. Thankfully, the truck doesn't cruise at this RPM even at 80. But you do hear it briefly as it goes through the gears. Power wise, I've never found myself wishing it had more power. It is perfectly suitable and then some for everyday driving. But the Ranger spoiled me here. It was downright quick. Quick enough that it encouraged you to goose it occasionally and have a little fun...maybe challenge and surprise someone at the stop light, lol. The Maverick doesn't really inspire that same feeling. It's just average. The base stereo in the XLT is also weak, the speakers in particular. The one in the Ranger was good but Ford saved some money in this area with the Mav. I'll be replacing the door speakers and if that doesn't get me where I'd like to be, maybe adding a small sub later.

Final thoughts:
I've seen several people shopping or waiting for a Maverick and end up with a Ranger or the new Nissan Frontier. I don't understand this. If you need the towing capacity of a body on frame pickup or plan to hardcore off-road, then certainly. Despite my dislikes of it, I would own another Ranger if I needed it. But if you don't need the capability of a body on frame truck, you are giving up so much by buying one. That leaves you shopping the Maverick, Ridgeline, or Santa Cruz for the time being. The RL is technically in a different class because it's a good bit larger than the Maverick and SC. I get that but they are all unibody pickups so for my own comparison, they are the same. I never even considered the SC...could anyone produce an uglier truck?? I test drove a 20 RL extensively and am here to tell you that it's a great truck. More space than the Maverick, the cool bed trunk thingie, higher quality materials, and the ride is phenomenal for a truck. It gets a 10 on the comfort scale. I also think the redesigned 21+ RL is just a good looking truck. But the V6 probably won't entirely match the Maverick's fuel mileage (at least in town), it's physically larger overall, and the biggest drawback is the price. An entry level RL is around $12k more than what I paid for my Maverick and that's if you can find one at MSRP right now.

Final final thoughts:
If you need to tow more than 4K pounds or off-road, buy the Ranger or something similar. If you value top of the line comfort and higher material quality and don't mind paying up for it, buy the RL. I have zero plans to get rid of my Maverick but if I did or when I do, a new RL is at the top of my list. If you want something practical and very everyday user friendly and have the proper expectations of a brand new sub-$30K vehicle, buy a Maverick...if you can find one.

I will try to post some more pics later. The weather has been so nasty here for the last few weeks that I'm kinda ashamed to right now. It's filthy in this photo.

Attachments

• 272173135_10227487097946976_9043293449690378118_n.jpg
    272173135_10227487097946976_9043293449690378118_n.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
For road noise, they do make sound proofing that you can apply inside the cabin. What about the trans any observations.

For road noise, they do make sound proofing that you can apply inside the cabin. What about the trans any observations.
I had this same recommendation from a FB group member. He said that sound proofing mat installed on the rear of the cab and floor helped tremendously. I have heard of these materials but have no knowledge or experience and just haven't followed up on it yet.

Regarding the transmission, I'm glad you asked because I forgot to mention. I hated the transmission in the Ranger. Literally hated it. It was very very rarely smooth. Shifts were not smooth and it was very often doing something weird. It hated having to downshift on slow speed inclines and made funky mechanical/electronic noises. By comparison, the 8 speed in the Maverick is very smooth. It doesn't do any of the funky things that the A10 in the Ranger did. The only thing I could say about the trans in the Mav is that the first couple of gears (can't remember if it's 1-2 or 2-3) are very close together so that it often acts like a 7 speed rather than an 8 speed. So depending on what you are doing, it will occasionally shift into one of these gears and then decide it needed to either be up or down one. Other than this, it does not gear hunt and I am very pleased with it.

They make 2 types of sound proofing. 1 is expensive and used by folks that install stereos, the other you get at Home Depot. There are some differences besides the price but the installation is the same.

Thanks for your review. Slightly high road noise and average stereo speakers are things that the overwhelming majority of vehicle buyers don’t put a huge preference on. In fact, a large portion of new vehicles on the market today have high road noise and weak sound systems anyway. As long as the road noise isn’t unacceptable and the speakers are adequate, Ford will have no problem selling these. The Hyundai Sonata YF 2011-2013 had terrible road noise (some of the worst in recent memory) but that car sold in outstanding numbers. It was so bad that Hyundai added more insulation for the 2014MY refresh. IMO out of all the unibody compact trucks this Ford Maverick is a home run. To be honest I don’t really see a reason why not to buy one. I think that’s the first time I’ve ever said that when talking about automobiles.

Great Review.
In fact the hybrid Lariat Maverick I ordered back in August is close to arriving at my dealership. Traded in a ‘16 Duramax Colorado and got $2500 more than I paid for it new.

Since I don’t tow anything anymore, Maverick checks off all the boxes for me- living in Tennessee. I just need an economical way to carry Home Depot purchases.

I bet Toyota engineers are staying up late nights, trying to configure some type of Prius truck. Will it have a $20,000 base price? I doubt it.

I am wondering if the higher end models will have any more sound insulation?

Hi all. So I posted a different thread asking opinions on replacement tires for my 2022 Maverick and someone asked for some thoughts on the truck. So here ya go. **EDIT - Dang that turned out much longer than I had planned...sorry.

I ordered my Maverick at the end of June (before they started producing them) and received it at the end of October. I have put just under 3k miles on it. It is an XLT AWD with the 2.0 Ecoboost and 4K tow package. I have had zero problems out of it in the brief time that I have owned it and haven't really done much to it other than window tint and replacing the factory wheels with a set of Bronco Sport wheels and upsized Michelin Defender tires. In the last year I have owned a 17 F150 5.0 and a 21 Ranger XLT. I traded the Ranger for the Maverick after 6 months of ownership and do not particularly miss it. It is my primary source of comparison.

I love the ride height. I'm young(ish) so getting in and out isn't an issue but the Maverick is the perfect height for ease and comfort and also for loading and unloading things to and from the cargo bed. I like the size. The interior dimensions of the Maverick and Ranger are practically identical (the Eco Mav actually has more rear legroom) but the Maverick manages to do so in a much smaller exterior package that actually feels more open than the Ranger. I like the ride quality and handling...as compared to the Ranger in particular. The Maverick is a good blend of sport and comfort with a slight nod toward sport. It's no sports car but it feels like one in the curves compared to the Ranger. The Ranger was a roll machine. I like the styling, both inside and out. The exterior is nice and squared off which lends to a slightly aggressive look and the interior is very practical. Everything is placed appropriately and designed very simply and utilitarian. The interior materials, while on the cheaper end, are also very outside the box which keeps it from being boring. I like the overall build quality. I had some panel gap misalignments and complaints about the finishes (such as the door handles and window trim) on the Ranger but none of that with the Maverick. Panel gaps are spot on and materials, while not high-end, are at least better than the Ranger. I like that the Maverick has more rear under-seat storage and that the rear windows roll all the way down into the doors. I like 24 mpg in town and on backroads where the Ranger struggled to hold 19. I have only really taken the Maverick on one short road trip and it got 28 running 70-80mph. I like the price of the Maverick. I lost just a little bit of money trading in the 6 month old Ranger and still came out owing over $6k less on the Maverick.

My two biggest complaints involve sound. The Maverick transmits a fair amount of road noise into the cabin. It's pretty quiet on smooth surfaces but older rough or course asphalt makes a good bit of road noise. It's not the tires. I have been through three sets at this point...the OEM Falken Wildpeaks, 600 miles on a set of Firestone Destination LE3s (satisfaction warrantied...see my other post), and now the Michelin Defenders. The Defenders have quieted it the most but it's still there and therefore I believe to be just a characteristic of the truck. Not terribly surprising at this price point. The other complaint regarding noise is the engine. It's actually really quite 90% of the time...quieter than the Ranger. But it has an annoying 4cyl buzz right around 2500 RPM. Thankfully, the truck doesn't cruise at this RPM even at 80. But you do hear it briefly as it goes through the gears. Power wise, I've never found myself wishing it had more power. It is perfectly suitable and then some for everyday driving. But the Ranger spoiled me here. It was downright quick. Quick enough that it encouraged you to goose it occasionally and have a little fun...maybe challenge and surprise someone at the stop light, lol. The Maverick doesn't really inspire that same feeling. It's just average. The base stereo in the XLT is also weak, the speakers in particular. The one in the Ranger was good but Ford saved some money in this area with the Mav. I'll be replacing the door speakers and if that doesn't get me where I'd like to be, maybe adding a small sub later.

Final thoughts:
I've seen several people shopping or waiting for a Maverick and end up with a Ranger or the new Nissan Frontier. I don't understand this. If you need the towing capacity of a body on frame pickup or plan to hardcore off-road, then certainly. Despite my dislikes of it, I would own another Ranger if I needed it. But if you don't need the capability of a body on frame truck, you are giving up so much by buying one. That leaves you shopping the Maverick, Ridgeline, or Santa Cruz for the time being. The RL is technically in a different class because it's a good bit larger than the Maverick and SC. I get that but they are all unibody pickups so for my own comparison, they are the same. I never even considered the SC...could anyone produce an uglier truck?? I test drove a 20 RL extensively and am here to tell you that it's a great truck. More space than the Maverick, the cool bed trunk thingie, higher quality materials, and the ride is phenomenal for a truck. It gets a 10 on the comfort scale. I also think the redesigned 21+ RL is just a good looking truck. But the V6 probably won't entirely match the Maverick's fuel mileage (at least in town), it's physically larger overall, and the biggest drawback is the price. An entry level RL is around $12k more than what I paid for my Maverick and that's if you can find one at MSRP right now.

Final final thoughts:
If you need to tow more than 4K pounds or off-road, buy the Ranger or something similar. If you value top of the line comfort and higher material quality and don't mind paying up for it, buy the RL. I have zero plans to get rid of my Maverick but if I did or when I do, a new RL is at the top of my list. If you want something practical and very everyday user friendly and have the proper expectations of a brand new sub-$30K vehicle, buy a Maverick...if you can find one.

I will try to post some more pics later. The weather has been so nasty here for the last few weeks that I'm kinda ashamed to right now. It's filthy in this photo.
Maverick is new. So no idea on if it will be reliable. I like the choice. But demand is so high that dealers are charging thousands of additional profit. Other than that if could be a great family vehicle.

My only gripe about late model Ford's is the transmission tuning. Give me another just give me a hundred more rpms before shifting at part throttle. They constantly feel like they are living the engine.
Is there a sport mode? Our Edge has one but sometimes they can go to far the other way. I drive my Jetta in sport 100% of the time. Its so tuned for economy that sport is just right for normal driving.

Final thoughts:

Final final thoughts:

What does this thread have to do with the locked thread with the new DO-DADS on the side of the thread?

XL Model with front wheel and hybrid checks all the boxes for me.

Everyone seems to be repulsed by the steel wheels it comes with. I would take mine directly to discount tire and get some 17 inch wheels put on the stock tires and call it a day.

40 mpg

Back