Quick recipe for single guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is hard to cook when I am living by myself, so I am trying to learn how to cook efficiently. Any suggestion?

Mine:

Tomato scramble egg (Chinese style)

Ingredient:
4 eggs (remove 2 yolks)
1 tomato
1 green onion (or 1/8 onion if prefer)
salt (1/4 or so tea spoon)

Preparation:
Beat 2 whole eggs, 2 eggs' white in a bowl
Add salt to beaten egg
Cut tomato into 1/8 slices, [green] onion into small cube, separate greens from whites if use green onion. Mix green section into beaten egg

Cooking:
Heat 3 tbl spoon of oil in pan, lightly brown onion or green onion's head.
Add tomato into mixture
Dump in eggs, keep temperature on max
Use a utencil to slowly rip the semi cooked egg, to create more surface area. Do not beat too fast, you want the egg to cook into omelet form.
Remove pan from heat when most surfaces have omelet like texture.

Comment:
It taste like omelet but with a uniformed texture, and tomato's taste is everywhere. Slightly salty and goes well with rice.

It is very similar to the egg foo yong in Chinese restaurant.

The hardest part is to keep the stiring under control and not over stir (understir is fine) and keep the stove at MAX TEMPERATURE.

You can replace tomato with anything, the common favorites are: shrimp, BBQ pork, chives, ham, beef, and extra onion. My mom uses San Francisco Dungeon Crab and it is legendary. I am not as skillful yet.

A bachelor for too many years, so, a sample:

Instant oatmeal: After making the coffee and pouring it off, refill w/water and new filter in a Mr. Coffee. Use instant oatmeal, run machine through cycle, breakfast is ready after the sports section.

Hamburger or Tuna Helper: Since avoiding grocery store is a bachelor priority, Tuna Helper fits the bill. Check box for canned vegetables (peas, etc) that can be added during cooking. With a cast-iron dutch oven & lid, follow directions per box, add less water than recommended (say, 75%-80%) and increase the milk content slightly (whole milk). Use real butter, too. Stir up "sauce" extra, extra thoroughly before adding all else. Use REDMOND "RealSalt", and fresh-cracked black pepper, (plus spices as you like).

Ramen noodles: Need I say more? Two packages, again, 75-80% of total water.

Any beef stew worth doing is worth freezing the extra portions to microwave later.

I always made (and still make, they only get better) pinto beans for current and future use. My recipe isn't quite simple (takes time to prep and cook); you can PM me for it. Perfect with fresh cornbread and high-quality butter, just zap a frozen containers worth. Plus, beats the you-know-what out of hash browns with your breakfast eggs and bacon.

My rule of thumb became: get best spices, decent tools, plenty of freezer/microwave/dishwasher-safe storage containers, and avoid the low-fat, imitation anything (as meals for one need all the help they can get).

I realize my reply may not be what you had in mind, but my patience for cooking solo wore mighty thin after awhile. Cooking for one became a series of recipes tried and true, not just the stuff above.

Easy teriyaki sauce: 1/2 cup water; 1/2 cup soy sauce; 2 TBSP brown sugar, 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger. Combine in sauce pan and heat to near boil to combine flavors. Marinate Meat at least 1/2 hour (up to one day). Works well for beef sirloin or round, pork, chicken. For beef or pork, make thin diagonal slices on meat both sides, to get marinate to soak in better. For chicken poke with fork both sides generously. Eat with favorite side dish. Uncle Ben is your friend as a side dish.

All you need is a can, a can opener, a bowl, a microwave and a spoon. On second thought, you really need only the can and the can opener.

Right, if you're single, why not park the car in the living room or just live in the garage.

"Because that will guarantee me being single forever. "
----------------------------------------------------------

Not if you find the right girl. If she puts up with that kr@p, you have found the right girl. Grab her and hold on tightly!

This is a fake, easy, and fast version of the mennonite dish "verenika" for single guys.

boil 1/2 bag of elbow macaroni
dice and fry 1 large onion
cut 1/2 pack of bacon into strips 1/4" wide and fry until cooked.

once onion and bacon is cooked mix them together and add 1 can of regular condensed milk to the mix. this is your gravy to pour on top of the macaroni.

in the mennonite tradition it's not all that great for you but it is cheap and tastes good.

One that I lerrn'd was to get a flavoursome sausage (kransky, chorizo, any of them thick german things).

Chop into 3/4" slices, and start to fry so that they let the fat out a bit.

Put in an equal quantity of sliced onion, so that they stew down a bit and become translucent.

When everything looks OK cooked, put in some wholegrain mustard maybe a tablespoon.

Serve over rice, pasta, or mashed potato.

Pick up a slow cooker. They come in all sizes, but a removable pot is key. You can make all kinds of hot good stuff with very little effort. Usually once a week, I combine the ingredients the night before into the pot, then in the morning, just take the pot out of the fridge and turn it on. You get home, take off your coat, grab a dish and serve.

I'm married with a child and still do this
smile.gif

Tonight I tried cooking eggplant in garlic sauce (the chinese restaurant one, I bought some instant sauce).

The instruction said fry the eggplant before cooking in the sauce. I followed it and was shocked how much oil it suck up, and those oil come back out after I add the sauce in the pan.

Disgussing. I always loved eggplant and always knew it absorb oil like a sponge, but dang, that's 1 cup of oil for 3 eggplant. I end up eating the eggplant with 4 napkins in my dish, and will probably not eat eggplant in a long time.

Just called my mom, and she said I should always steam the eggplant before cooking.
pat.gif

Uncle Stu's Hamburger Glop
grin.gif

My own invention, been making one version or another of it for many years now. Lots better than the name sounds, very flexible, can also turn it into chili, spaghetti sauce, or sloppy joes from the same base.

1 to 1 1/2 lb *lean* ground beef- I use ground round
2-3 celery stalks, sliced
1 onion, chopped, as fine or coarse as you like
1/2 to 1 Bell Pepper, chopped
1 can(~15 oz) diced/chopped tomatoes
1 can mixed vegetables(or frozen mixed veggies)
1 can cream of mushroom(or celery, or chicken & mushroom, etc) soup, *Or* 1 can of cheese soup. Stop screaming, he's single & betcha he ain't gonna make his own mushroom or cheese soup from scratch!

In separate pot:
1 to 1 1/2 cup(dry, uncooked) rice

In large skillet(preferably with a lid), brown & season the beef. I like herbed garlic salt, worcestishire sauce, a few good shakes of Louisiana Red hot sauce(Hey, I'm in East Texas!), & fresh ground black pepper, maybe just a little finely chopped garlic(1 clove). If there's any fat to drain, the beef wasn't lean enough!

Now stir in the celery, bell pepper, & onion. When they're all well sweated(onion becomes translucent), then add the can of tomatoes. If using frozen mixed veggies, add them as the "Cajun Trinity" is sweating. Stir well, if using canned veggies drain most of the liquid & add the canned veggies after other goodies have "sweated". Then mix in the can of concentrated soup, stir well, add a little liquid if needed for the soup. You don't want it too soupy. Put it all to simmer, stir every 5 minutes or so.

As it simmers, to another pot, add rice & a little less than double the amount of water, plus about 1 tsp salt per cup of rice. Add a small pat of butter if you like. I use about 1 cup rice to 1 3/4 cup water. Bring to rolling boil, stir, then reduce heat to simmer, cover & set timer for ~20 minutes.

It'll all be ready at the same time, put bed of rice on plate, cover with Glop, maybe top with a little shredded or grated cheese. Enjoy, & be sure to bag & freeze any leftovers!
cheers.gif

Versatile as can be, substitute chicken or sausage for beef, or use any mix of meat you like. Add or subtract ingredients at will, just be sure to use *real* onion, bell pepper, & celery- & garlic if you use that. Quit adding ingredients at the canned tomatoes, & you have a great base for chili(Well, for chili I'd leave out the celery), spaghetti sauce, or whatever- or just eat it like that, it's surprisingly good! Or *really* get fancy & make your own cheese or cream soup.
wink.gif

OK, this is the first time I've ever posted a "recipe" on the internet. Emeril, look out!
burnout.gif

Quesadillas

1 can of cooked chicken breast (Looks like large tuna fish can--next to tuna in the grocery store)

1 can of green chillies

salt to taste

optional warm, but don't brown, garlic & green onion in olive oil or butter.

Heat the above ingredients until it looks about right (5 mins)

Spread onto a tortilla. Place pepper jack or monterey jack cheese over the chicken. Heat both sides until cheese melts.

Serve w/ salsa or sour cream.

Very easy.

Lemon Pie

1 bowl of whipped topping

1/4 cup lemon juice concentrate

1 can sweetened condensed milk (eagle brand)

Combine ingredients, pour into graham cracker crust

Chill

Lazt lad's luxury dining:

Open can of soup.

Eat using plastic spoon (one of a HUGE handfull grabbed at scarf-n-barf burger joint).

Toss can and spoon (neighbor's back yard fine).

burp

panda, sounds good but too much work.

Instead of cutting up tomato and onions and stuuf just keep a cosco gallon of picante sauce around.

Break the eggs in an old margerine or coolwhip tub, slop some picante in and a little milk (not the jug that's pushed to the back of the fridge though) stir, microwave,stir, microwave until it looks done. Eat it out of the tub with a plastic spork.

Don't worry about chasing the females off with this behaviour, it's exactly what they want. They think they can "change" you, you become a project. Just need to draw the line at gross, gross will run em off. Save that for when your married.

Shannow's stuff.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Take a pound of premium mince, and brown in olive oil with 2 cloves of garlic, and a chopped large onion.
Add a large, finely chopped carrot. About a cup of finely chopped celery...soften.
Add a cup of frozen (or fresh) beans, and half a cup of peas.
Add a sachet of chicken and noodle soup, a teaspoon of curry powder, and a desert spoon of salt reduced soy.
Add 1/4 of a caggage shredded in the last 10 minutes.

Serve over rice for tea, and on toast for tomorrow's breakfast.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Take 1lb of chuck steak, and cube it in inch cubes.
Put it in a crock pot or dutch oven.
Chop two big onions into 1"cubes, and add to the steak.
Stir in 1/4 cup of tomato paste, and a tablespoon of vegemite.
Make a consistent "cake" of the above ingredients.
Chop a swede, two carrots, a parsnip, and a couple cloves of garlic, and add over the top of the "cake"
Put two cups of finely chopped pumpkin over the lot, and add 420g can of chopped tomatoes.
Season to taste, and add 375ml guiness.

Bring to boil for an hour before mixing the top with the bottom.

When the pumpkin disappears, it's great to eat.

(Add dumplings if you want, or serve over mashed spuds).

Have on toast for next breakfast (or for a few days), makes good lunch.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Pick up a pumpkin from out in the back yard (say 4lb), chop into bits, add a chopped carrot, and two chopped potatoes.

Put in a big pot.

Add some stock (about 2 cups).

Boil, and add 2 425 gramme cans of corn kernals (sans liquid), and a teaspoon of curry powder.

Boil for a little while, and then blend with one of those things that sound like an outboard on speed.

Serve for dinner with crusty rolls or garlic bread.

Heat, and watch BITOG for breakfast.

Here's the first couple of recipes I posted some years ago, on Shooters' Online.

I know that you asked for bachelor's recipes, but I've now realised that pre kids, I had all the time in the world to gather wild yeasts, etc.

quote:

01/11/02-1:58 AM Posted by: Logan

Guys, this ones a favourite, not American, not Mexican but Morrocan.

and be Vewy Vewy Caweful.

It's called Harrissa, and it is quite potent.

Take 50 grammes (770 grains) of dried "birdseye" chillies. Put in a cup, and pour over just enough boilng water to cover.

Put 2 cloves garlic, about 20 mint leaves, and an equivalent quantity of coriander into a blender and blend.

When the chillies are swelled, put them in the blender with teh other stuff, holding the water aside.

Add a tablespoon of salt and blend, add the drained chilli water until it makes a paste (most of the water will go back in).

Place in a small jar and add a 1/2" layer of olive oil to seal it.

Leave refrigerated 24 hours before use.

Will keep just about for ever I think

quote:

01/08/02-9:20 PM Posted by: Logan

Sourdough uses the yeasts found in the wild (before we started selectively breeding and modifying them).

Take a pound of rye flour, and mix it with enough water to make something a bit thicker than cake batter.

Leave in a bowl outside in the middle of the day for a couple of hours, bring back in, and cover with a teatowel or something.

It should start bubbling a little, and become a lot runnier. Leave it to do this for 24 hours, then throw in a couple handfuls of plain flour, to thicken it back to where it was before it started bubbling.

Leave for about three days for the yeasts to multiply. That's your starter.

Now take two pounds of plain flour, and add your starter. Knead and add water until it's bread dough.

Remove a third of the dough, as it's your starter for tomorrow.

Knead salt (if desired) into the bread. Should knead it for at least 5 minutes total. Place in a floured bowl and cover with a tea towel. Leave overnight (at least 12 hours).

Turn onto a baking tray, and score the surface heavily with a sharp knife. Bake.

Can be repeated most days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back