Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading something on the internet recently saying that mobil 1 uses a petroleum based base, mobil 1 one is still a group IV oil correct?

Here is what I am refering to coming from the engine oil bible. Note how mobil 1 is refered to in the first sentence.

"Despite their name, most synthetic derived motor oils (ie Mobil 1, Castrol Formula RS etc ) are actually derived from mineral oils - they are mostly Polyalphaolifins and these come from the purest part of the mineral oil refraction process, the gas. PAO oils will mix with normal mineral oils which means Joe public can add synthetic to his mineral, or mineral to his synthetic without his car engine seizing up. The most stable bases are polyol-ester (not polyester, you fool). When I say 'stable' I mean 'less likely to react adversely with other compounds.' Synthetic oil bases tend not to contain reactive carbon atoms for this reason. Reactive carbon has a tendency to combine with oxygen creating an acid. As you can imagine, in an oil, this would be A Bad Thing. So think of synthetic oils as custom-built oils. They're designed to do the job efficiently but without any of the excess baggage that can accompany mineral based oils."

Yup, PAO = Group IV oil. "Genuine Synthetic".
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back