Quick Prius Detail - Optimum Polish II

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Prius is beginning to show its age, now that it is entering mid-life territory at 37k. The paint is no exception, especially since it had some moderate swirls on the quarter panels and door panels after I stupidly paid a dealer to do a wash before a car meet. I was not going for 100% correction here, but I just wanted to achieve 60-70% so that the car will look decent again by my standards.

For this quick detail - which I only spent 1hr on polishing, I used the "new formula" Optimum Polish II. I used a Flex 3401XRG with a new Lake Country Hydrotech Orange pad. Although the polish and pad combination was on the aggressive side for a one-step, it finished out quite nicely. However, I think the finish could be glossier if I followed up with a finer polish.

I think this may become my new go-to combination for a one-step polish. Considering the results I achieved in such little time, the quality of the finish and the ease of use (long work time, no dust), this stuff is a winner. Granted, I'm sure some of the detailing perfectionist will scoff at this, but the results are definitely more than acceptable for a daily driver. Heck, it's as good as if not better than the results I see on the Carmax lot!

No close-up pics, but here were some shots from the parking lot:

9a648321.jpg

0f89d19f.jpg

Also, I used Collinite 845 as the sealant after the polish.

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
It ain't even broken in at 37k!

Is that polish non abrasive?

You can definitely feel the car's age though, by way of the squeaks and rattles and the wear on the interior. At least for me, I can notice wear on many cars by the time they hit 30k or so.

The polish is abrasive - that is how it levels the clear coat.

37k is nothing though. My Honda still feels tight even with 156k on it. Plus, in California I'd expect the paint to hold up much better than our weather here.

Looks great though.
smile.gif

I think it looks great. Since you've already used orange I bet a white pad would do the trick next time with the same polish at a slower speed. Great choice in the Flex.
thumbsup2.gif
Wiping off the polish residue with Optimum liquid carnauba spray wax misted on the surface yields an awesome shine. It will also work beautifully atop the Collinite....clean surface of course.

Last edited:
37k is nothing and I am suprised it feels and sounds mid aged...most of my vehicles still feel great at 140k and I dont drive them easy either...

I just topped my Dodge off with some 845 for the first time and was amazed at how good it looks. Thanks BITOG for turning me on to Collinite!!

Originally Posted By: chevman4life
I just topped my Dodge off with some 845 for the first time and was amazed at how good it looks. Thanks BITOG for turning me on to Collinite!!

I've been recommending 845 to people that ask me about waxes for quite some time, and it never disappoints. Wait till you wash your truck the next time, it should bead like crazy.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I think it looks great. Since you've already used orange I bet a white pad would do the trick next time with the same polish at a slower speed. Great choice in the Flex.
thumbsup2.gif
Wiping off the polish residue with Optimum liquid carnauba spray wax misted on the surface yields an awesome shine. It will also work beautifully atop the Collinite....clean surface of course.

I think you are right - I need to go back and redo with Optimum Polish II again on a less aggressive pad. Yes, the swirls are gone, but the gloss is nowhere near the gloss of the cars on the new car lot. Weird.

We are in Houston for a week and with all the rain, my truck beads like crazy. 845 is great stuff.

Question, I used Meguiars Cleaner Wax, waited a bit and went over it with 845. Does this sound like a good combo? I also have a bottle of NXT, should I use that on the first coat. I would like some opinions because I want the bed shine and protection.

Thanks

We are in Houston for a week and with all the rain, my truck beads like crazy. 845 is great stuff.

Question, I used Meguiars Cleaner Wax, waited a bit and went over it with 845. Does this sound like a good combo? I also have a bottle of NXT, should I use that on the first coat. I would like some opinions because I want the bed shine and protection.

Thanks

This combination would work, but it may be a lot of work for minimal gain. I would not expect Meguiars Cleaner Wax to do much cleaning; if you are looking for a way to hand-apply a paint cleaner, there may be better options.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Thanks

This combination would work, but it may be a lot of work for minimal gain. I would not expect Meguiars Cleaner Wax to do much cleaning; if you are looking for a way to hand-apply a paint cleaner, there may be better options.

Thanks. What would you recommend? I have been thinking about DG 101 or 105 also. This site has made me change my mind about Meguiars. I have almost a full. Ottos of the Cleaner Wax laying around otherwise I'm done using their wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back