Quick Lubes - Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I never f with someone who has control over my food or my car. I could envision them bringing out some very specially formulated oil just for situations where complainers come in. Pennzoil ultra urine.

So, just bend over and take it? Not the best plan.

I've gotten my money back many times without bringing my car or truck back in. I just bring the necessary evidence- the receipt (as in this case), cross-threaded wheel lugs and nuts, write-up from my trusted mechanic, digital photos, etc. I've never failed to get a refund, and I've never been back to those places.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

This is not a VW approved oil, it is an SN/GF-5 lubricant

Do you really think it'll make any difference.

I was thinking the same, they put a quality synthetic in and I am assuming the engine is a 2.5. Does it really make a difference?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

I was thinking the same, they put a quality synthetic in and I am assuming the engine is a 2.5. Does it really make a difference?

It's irrelevant, though.

If someone is getting paid to do work, they need to do it right.

Using out of spec oil isn't doing the job right.

The fact it'll probably be "fine" is completely irrelevant.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
Originally Posted By: dishdude

It's irrelevant, though.

The fact it'll probably be "fine" is completely irrelevant.

Well you could pay considerably more to get it done right at the dealer, but the quick lube did it for less and it will be just fine. In the long run does it really matter or make a significant difference?

We all know quick-lube places aren't the best option for oil changes, but,

The wrong quantity of the wrong oil is the price you pay for being too lazy and/or too stupid to do it yourself.
She got what she deserved.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
People down here have the same difficulties. They see 5w-30 and that's all they care about. It can be quite annoying trying to explain that they're not all the same.

Maybe Wakefield will or already has pressured CT to carry 5w-30 A3/B4. Although, maybe they haven't, knowing full well the confusion that could arise.
wink.gif
Throw some Castrol Edge 5w-30 dexos2, and you have some real confusion going on at Canadian Tire.

Originally Posted By: Subdued

These facilities are called oil change places because that's what they do. In a lot of cases that is all they do. One would think that if that is your line of work then you would do what is necessary to do it right.

If I took my car to a lawn & garden shop for an oil change I might expect problems, but at an oil change shop you only have one job to do.

Originally Posted By: Olas

The wrong quantity of the wrong oil is the price you pay for being too lazy and/or too stupid to do it yourself.

By that metric you should expect to go to the doctor and get mangled because you were unable to do your own kidney transplant yourself
smirk.gif

Some people are not in a situation where they can change their own oil. She is one of those people. She lives in a high-rise condo in Toronto. Vehicle maintenance is not something that can be done in their underground parking garage. That's WHY she brings the car down to me to have me change her oil and stuff. She is neither lazy nor stupid, in fact I posted the BMW advert video for the M4 she did that won a number of awards on here a while back.

She knew the dealer was going to be expensive and difficult to schedule. Being on a short timeline to get her snow tires on she took it to a place that SHOULD know how to do both of those things properly. In fact, based on the bloody receipt, they had no excuse NOT to do it properly, it says for them to check the bloody manual!!!

Do you really think it'll make any difference. I feel lucky if they don't strip out my drain plug, ding my door, or otherwise cause damage in ways I can't even fathom. Their computer doesn't go back far enough to tell them what filter to put on my 75 vette. It would be an incredible amount of research to go thru every owners manual of every car and truck for every model year to get the recommended oil. The dealer doesn't even do that.

I never f with someone who has control over my food or my car. I could envision them bringing out some very specially formulated oil just for situations where complainers come in. Pennzoil ultra urine.

From earlier in the thread:

Originally Posted By: silveravant
What engine is in the jetta? If its the 2.0 (non turbo) or 2.5 they are really easy on oil. If the oil is not 502 spec. I would just change it at about 5,000 miles. My 2.0 goes just fine to 10,000 miles on T6, according to Blackstone.

It's the non-turbo 2.0L. I doubt it will cause any harm I'm just unfortunately not surprised by the incompetence potentially demonstrated here
frown.gif

At the end of the day any quick lube should use the proper spec'd oil or refuse to do the job if they don't have it.

They did not.

She is entitled to a refund or a drain and refill with the proper oil.

If the manager is any good they will do it.

If the manager doesn't care I hope she charged it, Visa will care. Do a charge back.

YMMV but our local Firestone which is not exactly a bastion of good mechanics will even bring in outside oil for cars like that. While I was sitting in the waiting room, a Carquest truck showed up with quarts of oil for a BMW. So they did call out to get the proper oil.

Last edited:
Chiming in: A decent dexos1-level full synthetic was used in a non-turbo, non-DI(?) engine, so no problem.
That is, UNLESS a conventional 5w-30 was really put in, as some shops do and charge for a synthetic.
As soon as overkill's sister realizes her brother has 1 million posts on BITOG, she should just make him do it for her.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas

By that metric you should expect to go to the doctor and get mangled because you were unable to do your own kidney transplant yourself
smirk.gif

Some people are not in a situation where they can change their own oil. She is one of those people. She lives in a high-rise condo in Toronto.

When you're in business getting paid to provide services you need to do it correctly all the times.

If you can't do it according to the book then you shouldn't be in business at all.

Why people are blaming the victims ?

smirk.gif

If you need a kidney transplant you don't entrust it to a GP.

What do you think will happen to the car now. it'll blow up ??

C'mon .....

Originally Posted By: silveravant
What engine is in the jetta? If its the 2.0 (non turbo) or 2.5 they are really easy on oil. If the oil is not 502 spec. I would just change it at about 5,000 miles. My 2.0 goes just fine to 10,000 miles on T6, according to Blackstone.

It's the non-turbo 2.0L. I doubt it will cause any harm I'm just unfortunately not surprised by the incompetence potentially demonstrated here
frown.gif

Non-turbo 2.slow? Honestly...I would use whatever 5W-30 I could get the cheapest and not worry about it!

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear

smirk.gif

If you need a kidney transplant you don't entrust it to a GP.

No, but you'd expect them to be able to properly diagnose a cold/flu, which is what an oil change is the equivalent of here. We aren't talking an engine rebuild/surgeon level of expertise.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
What do you think will happen to the car now. it'll blow up ??

C'mon .....

I've both posted and even quoted myself on this. No, I don't think anything bad will happen. The point is that they should have done the job correctly and they didn't.

Jeez. I was expecting a story about how the 16 year old new hire tightened the drain plug with a 500 ft-lbs impact wrench or filled it with 12 quarts of SAE30 or accidentally drained the power steering instead of the oil then refilled it with used antifreeze.

Using an unapproved oil ranks pretty low on the "OMG" scale for quick lube places. I'd imagine most of them do that with European cars

I'm a bit disappointed
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
Jeez. I was expecting a story about how the 16 year old new hire tightened the drain plug with a 500 ft-lbs impact wrench or filled it with 12 quarts of SAE30 or accidentally drained the power steering instead of the oil then refilled it with used antifreeze.

Using an unapproved oil ranks pretty low on the "OMG" scale for quick lube places. I'd imagine most of them do that with European cars

I'm a bit disappointed
wink.gif

Did catastrophic engine failure occur?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

When you're in business getting paid to provide services you need to do it correctly all the times.

If you can't do it according to the book then you shouldn't be in business at all.

Why people are blaming the victims ?

Well said indeed!

Merchantability of Services!
This is the LEGAL, LAWFUL, OBLIGATION of any business.
If you can meet this criteria then that business
should be forcibly be closed down. Many if not most of the time these businesses are licensed and regulated in some way as well, and the onus is on the business to perform reasonably or stop offering their services.

If one of these places damages your personal property they should ALWAYS be sued and the proper amount compensation for damages should be collected. NEVER let these hack shops rest and get away with this nonsense. With video phones never a bad idea to record possible incidents if you have any concerns so it can be used in small claims or regular court later.

It isn't by accident that the automotive service and repair industry has one of the worst reputations in the business world, it is WELL deserved, and the industry does NOTHING to change it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back