Quick and easy steel rims refresh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did the four rims on my spouse's Jetta. They looked as bad as the OP's pics.
A quick spray with the pressure washer to get the dirt off, a couple of coats of POR15 to cover the rust and a couple of coats of Rustoleum glossy black to protect the POR15.

It probably took a couple of hours of labour but a few days total time as each coat had to dry.

I could have gone the wire wheel route to clean the rust (and could probably have used some filler to smooth out some scratches and dents) but they're winter rims, they'll be covered in grime most of the time so I figure it's a win just having them a uniform colour. If I really cared about looks I could get some covers.

Originally Posted by Surestick
I just did the four rims on my spouse's Jetta. They looked as bad as the OP's pics.
A quick spray with the pressure washer to get the dirt off, a couple of coats of POR15 to cover the rust and a couple of coats of Rustoleum glossy black to protect the POR15.

It probably took a couple of hours of labour but a few days total time as each coat had to dry.

I could have gone the wire wheel route to clean the rust (and could probably have used some filler to smooth out some scratches and dents) but they're winter rims, they'll be covered in grime most of the time so I figure it's a win just having them a uniform colour. If I really cared about looks I could get some covers.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
POR15 is very expensive($75+) to get here so I don't think I will go down that route.

I tried using wire brush and clean up the rust a bit, but I think I'll have to get a wire wheel to clean further.
I want to refrain from getting wheel cover as they can pop off here and there.

After cleaning the wheel somewhat, I plan to just spray with
https://www.rustoleum.ca/product-catalog/consumer-brands/tremclad/rust-paint/rust-primer-spray
https://www.rustoleum.ca/product-catalog/consumer-brands/tremclad/rust-paint/rust-paint-spray

Just debating on flat vs semi-gloss black and whether to use spray or brush for the paint portion.
I guess durability wise, brush will be better, but for time saving, spray?

I think spray is more durable if you are careful to give multiple thin coats.

The Rustoleum dried thin enough that I could still read the serial number on the rims after I was finished.

The Rustoleum dried thin enough that I could still read the serial number on the rims after I was finished.

I would tend to agree-- brush-on rustolelum is thick and goopy. If you want to get nerdy you can thin it with mineral spirits and put six layers on but that's a long time to dry.

Originally Posted by eljefino

I would tend to agree-- brush-on rustolelum is thick and goopy. If you want to get nerdy you can thin it with mineral spirits and put six layers on but that's a long time to dry.
My thoughts exactly, it needs to be thinned. I had a set of steelies that someone had painted with a brush and they looked good until you were five feet away from them.

Originally Posted by maxdustington

My thoughts exactly, it needs to be thinned. I had a set of steelies that someone had painted with a brush and they looked good until you were five feet away from them.

Thanks for the reply.
I will go with the spray then.

Now just the black colour, semi-gloss or flat.

Sorry... i should have followed the thread better. What i suspect is that satin and semigloss are close. Satin generally is a dullish gloss. I think this is what "chassis black" is. As wheels have a cosmetic aspect to them they are for me rather important. And steel wheels are in today's world rather under appreciated IMHO. Just generally, in that vein, they are no doubt heavier than alloys and therefore you cannot go ultra wide like an alloy as a result - but they are tougher, probably ultimately safer, and definitely better for corrosion resistance, and oh so easy to spruce up. I even admire the job UPS does with the colour theme on their trucks' steel wheels hehe. Please - no LOL's re my admiring steel wheels ☺.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Sorry... i should have followed the thread better. What i suspect is that satin and semigloss are close. Satin generally is a dullish gloss. I think this is what "chassis black" is. As wheels have a cosmetic aspect to them they are for me rather important. And steel wheels are in today's world rather under appreciated IMHO. Just generally, in that vein, they are no doubt heavier than alloys and therefore you cannot go ultra wide like an alloy as a result - but they are tougher, probably ultimately safer, and definitely better for corrosion resistance, and oh so easy to spruce up. I even admire the job UPS does with the colour theme on their trucks' steel wheels hehe. Please - no LOL's re my admiring steel wheels ☺.
I was under the impression that a steelie was lighter than a cast alloy wheel of the same size.

I bought some OEM Mazda 16 x 7 steelies and though I did not compare them to the OEM alloy 17 x 7's - the steelies felt 'real heavy. Most alloys these days are, I think, cast alloy. They have fairly thick section sizes and are as a result fairly heavy... but alloy forged wheels (like Fuchs wheels on Porsche's) are very light and strong. Steels are much heavier than those!

Last edited:

I diluted Rustoleum with mineral spirits and put about 7 coats on the roof of the Corolla about 18 months ago. So far so good, I just wish I used the marine version; but I knew nothing about paint(ing) at that point.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I was under the impression that a steelie was lighter than a cast alloy wheel of the same size.

Yup, that is the case with the Maxima.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back