Questions on a new 2014 dodge Durango 5.7 hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
First. Thank you for letting me join. I have been viewing for years. It was time. What a great site!
Let's get started
grin.gif

Here are the questions. The manual says nothing about any king if break in. So, drive it just a little less then like you stole it for the first 500? Next, change at what mileage? In the old days, it was 500 miles. Pull the drain plug, cut the filter and review for problems, and look at the mag drain plug then wipe off. And last. 5w20. I am a Mobile 1 guy, but it does not have the Chrysler ok. I do think the extended does. I don't need to stay with M1, but want the best I can get and stay with it for a long time. Say 10 years. Am I crazy.

This darn thing is one bad ride.

Went from a 2008 Suburban LTZ 1500 with a 5.2 or was it 5.3. 110k miles. Good hauler (people). Could not tow much. No pick up at all. No mileage. Best MPH on our weekly 400 mile trip was 17.2. Not bad but......That was no wind, cool out,full moon,and you know.........the gods were in agreement. It was our 4 Suburban. The first three were 2500. 2 had 8.1 L with 3:73's and one with a 4:10 locker. That old girl got 8.5 no matter what where or why. Even what you were towing. 8.5 MPG. Towed a 35 ft Formula on a triple ax yep 8.5.

The dodge is wild fast. My right foot won't let me check the mileage. Too much fun.
We have a 2011 jaguar XJL. You guys know, the one that uses that crazy hard to find Castrol SLX.
My 20 year old son wants to do the quarter. HEMI/Jag. He wants the jag.......Will let you know what happens.

Again..... When for the first change?
Break in thoughts, and
Best 5w20.

This fourm is so cool.
Thank you.
Joe

Last edited:
WELCOME!!!!!! I had this issue when I bought my first new car, basically I drove it very easy for the first 500 miles and in the higher gears, gave it full power for a second to help seat the rings. Due to the high precision of manufacturing, wear in particles is minimal, and many companies have a special first fill blend so it's sometimes ok to do an entire OCI on the factory fill. I have not yet heard of engine issues tracing back to an entire factory fill OCI.

I'm a major Jaguar fan, and I hope to hear your ownership stories of it in the future!!!!!

A favorite 5w/20 is Motorcraft Ford for semi synthetic.

For full synthetic, why not run a 0w/20?
A favorite is Toyota 0w/20. There is a cult here on the stuff, almost a religion
wink.gif

Thanks 79. We have had very bad and very good luck with our Jags over many years. Thank God for Ford. The good old American know how saved the brand and name plate. Had a 60s XKE. IF IT LOOKED LIKE RAIN IT WOULD NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE. Like a dog I have. All later xj last gens were reliable fast and very stunning to look at. The 2011 we have is the dark blue. This is a true super car. All aluminum front to back. 500 hp and 32 mpg if you can keep your mph below 100. That is where she loves to live. My wife and the Jag. Have had no problems with either new bodies. The 2007 was more of a gentle car. The 2011 can go full on race. Hit the race bottom. Lowers car just over 1 inch. Messes with the timing. Full man trans with paddles. And the pips get a good tone. 5 L Stangs are soooo fun to play with. They tool up, see me. Old and gray. I turn it to race traction control off an good by. All in all I think the jag is slower but the young guys don't know what to think. To think of me. It keeps me young.
Keeping our young people confused at all costs.
Joe

Last edited:
Also, we picked up the last Jag in Coventry. It was a great. We also have a Mini Clubman JCW 2011. My son and I went to Oxford to get his. We had a ball. He and I were the only ones that showed up for the tour that date. The tour was 2 hours. My son hit it off with the floor manager. 6 hours LATER we went home with the worker at shifts end. We could NOT touch anything but had a ball. What great people at Mini.

We own a few good old American sleds as well.
Again thanks for the welcome.
Joe

The XKE is my most favorite car of all time, I'm even stocking up parts for when I get my own, and have made new friends who own them. My latest jag was a 98 XJ Vandan Plas in the Champagne color (my most fav color) my god it was fast for a heavy car, and unfortunately it was vandalized several times. My worst decision was trading it in for my Fiat.
frown.gif

Welcome to the forum . Pennzoil Platinum , Quaker State Ultimate Durability and Castrol black bottle all meet Chrysler's required spec. Any of these synthetics can be used easily per the suggested oil drain interval. Pennzoil yellow bottle is a fantastic conventional that meets this spec as well if you would like to save a few bucks , either way your new Hemi wont know a difference.

Thanks Thax. I was thinking QS. Glad to see you agree. What about the factory fill timing and mileage?

Let me know if I can help. I knew those old Lucas boxes and for that matter K Jet Tronics well. Hold on.... That was 20 years ago. Oh well. Something will come back.

filter wise, the(not readily available) Mopar filter specc'd for that engine crosses over to the readily available FL-820S.

Looked up for my brother when he bought a '13 Challenger w/ the 5.7(convenient as he has a few FL-820's on hand for his mustangs)

Last edited:
Yes, they do carry mopar filters, but not that one. @ least the stores i've looked in, & the motorcraft filter is half the price of the mopars.

Originally Posted By: Too_many_Cars
You guys are the best. Thank you!

So what about break in?

Chrysler specifically states in most of their new gen Hemi owners manual that full throttle is beneficial to break in. Mine did.

Avoid the lower gears and get on that thing. Your reward will be less blow by, less oil use, more power and longer life.

Babying these modern low tension rings is no way to get a good tight seal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Too_many_Cars
Thanks Thax. I was thinking QS. Glad to see you agree. What about the factory fill timing and mileage?

If it were mine I would go by the severe schedule maintenance interval. SteveSRT8 might know what works best in the Hemi's , I believe he has owned a few. Im all Mopar but have never owned a Hemi.

So we live in cincinnati. If you know our interstates, i275 east to I 75 north has a wonderful long sweeping transition. Went in at about 45 mph and slowly put the small pedal to the board. I am sorry I waited a week to do that. I was 17 again and had color in my hair! My wife is the real speed freak. She said we entered I 75 in the upper 90. Kids don't do this at home. What fun! You can't get that from a range rover. Took the curve dead flat! Impressive. You know what? I just don't care about the mileage anymore.
laugh.gif
One last question. Does Royal Purple's syn 5w20 meet the MS6395spec. Should by a simple yes or no right?
Glad to have found this site!!!!!!!
Joey

Hello all!
Just turned 1100 miles on the new 5.7 hemi Durango. Real world mpg on a 4 hour interstate run. 20.4 I am thrilled! Mid 70 mph to low .... Can't say.
Getting 16 to 17 in town. Not bad at all.

Is it stupid I want to change at 2000 before we take it on a 1400 mile trip over New Years to the east coast?

The other question is what is the factory fill in the dodge?

All the best.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back