Questions for Nissan people... New car???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just sold my gas guzzling truck and picked up a 2006 Sentra 1.8 S. I got the loaded "special edition" and I love it so far.

The auto tranny calls for Nissan Matic D. From what I have read on here, any DexIII should work fine... Correct?

Also, what power steering fluid is used. The manual says Nissan PSF. Would DexIII work here, or just any OTC power steering fluid?

Now for the oil. Since this engine only has a 3 qt sump, I plan on running syn after I get my 1st free oil change from the dealer (Valvoline AC). I have read all the UOA reports for this engine, and it seems to be pretty easy on oil.

My question is: Is there any one oil that would be better in this engine-dino or syn (especially since the head gasket seems prone to leak)? This is why I'm thinking syn, since it should help to cool better?

Thanks in advance for all the help,
Brian

BTW - with only 100 miles on the car, I'm already getting 30 MPG around town with the A/C on
grin.gif

You might get a few replies from NissanForums.com if you haven't already tried. Can't comment specifically on your questions as my B14 is 10 years old but I think your lube assumptions are pretty much correct. Bror Jace might help here. There was a poll there recently on motor oil usage and syns with OEM filters was most popular by far. I use dino only all around but it is pushing 200k. With a new car probably not all dino. I am very interested in the soon to be released Versa sedan as a replacement for the upsized Sentra in the new Nissan line when and if I can ever finish off one of my daily drivers after giving them all the BITOG treatment(s). It may never happen!
grin.gif

The auto tranny is very hard on oil. I am using MerconV which is a stronger oil. Might be worthwhile using Nisan's brand. I think the Manual says you can use DexIII. Just make sure you keep the oil level up to the full mark.

I have the 01 SE with the 2L engine. I would recommend a periodic oil analysis on the Tranny and the engine for this vehicle. As you mentioned, the Head gasket is weak. I don't think the oil brand is going to change anything.

I post as adc100 over here: http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
The auto tranny is very hard on oil. I am using MerconV which is a stronger oil. Might be worthwhile using Nisan's brand. I think the Manual says you can use DexIII. Just make sure you keep the oil level up to the full mark.

I have the 01 SE with the 2L engine. I would recommend a periodic oil analysis on the Tranny and the engine for this vehicle. As you mentioned, the Head gasket is weak. I don't think the oil brand is going to change anything.

I post as adc100 over here: http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Thanks Al.

I noticed that the auto tranny fluid didn't smell anything like DexIII. It smelled more like the SPIII in my wife's Hyundai (kind of like plastic). It also wasn't a bright red, more of a pinkish color. With a drain and fill, I wouldn't think it would use that much. I may just get the stuff from the dealer to be safe.

Thanks for the help. I need to start looking at those Sentra forums.

Brian

quote:

The auto tranny calls for Nissan Matic D. From what I have read on here, any DexIII should work fine... Correct?

Correct. If you're concerned about this transmission being hard on oil, use Mobil 1, Amsoil, Schaeffer's, or SF ATF. Nissans usually remove > 50% of the total fluid volume with a drain/fill, so do a drain/fill with one of the listed brands of ATF after 10K, then every 30K thereafter.

quote:

Also, what power steering fluid is used. The manual says Nissan PSF. Would DexIII work here, or just any OTC power steering fluid?

I'd just buy the Supertech PSF from Walmart for $2/qt and suck out/refill at every oil change. PSF may contain additional seal swellers and/or anti-squeal additives for PS systems, stick with PSF to be safe.

quote:

Is there any one oil that would be better in this engine-dino or syn (especially since the head gasket seems prone to leak)?

I'd change with dino every 3K or syn every 5K in this engine given the small sump. Shorter intervals also reduce the amount of damage to the engine in the event of an undetected coolant leak.

Given this engine's past history of potential headgasket problems, it may be wise to drain/fill the cooling system with 50/50 Supertech Extended Life Coolant/Distilled Water semi-annually to replenish the corrosion inhibitors to prevent any possible coolant related problems. (Do not need to flush if you drain/fill frequently) Also consider adding three GM cooling system sealer pellets to the lower radiator hose (when you remove it to drain the coolant) in an attempt to seal off any possible point of coolant intrusion into the oil. Safe insurance IMO if you're concerned about possible headgasket or intake manifold gasket seepage.

[ April 17, 2006, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: The Critic ]

Congrats on the new car, and thanks for doing your part to fight high gas prices!
cheers.gif
That Nissan will get better mileage as it breaks in.

When I was buying my new GM car, the only two engines I found that produced consistent good results was the 2.2L ecotech and the 1.8L in the vibe. I bought a vibe. UOAs were superb on that toyota engine. I hope you have better luck and not have a head gasket leak because Nissan will fight you tooth and nail to not fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back