Questions about Valvoline oils (MaxLIfe, etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at a Valvoline lube shop, and while we carry most major brands of oils, we recommend using Valvoline to customers that aren't sure (or don't care) what to use. Now, the company has us hang all these posters that preach how much better SynPower is than Mobil 1 ("...offers 4x BETTER wear protection than Mobil 1!"), and to use MaxLife (conventional or syn) in anything over 75k miles, but I'm not really one for harping on a product just because I have its logo on my hat.

First of all, is SynPower really that much better than Mobil 1? What about Amsoil? We also carry a few varieties of Quaker State full-synthetics, and they all cost the same. Customers typically choose the Valvoline products because the company usually has a rebate going on ($15 mail-in rebate currently), but should I be recommending a different brand?

Next, MaxLife. Now, everyone at the shop runs this in their vehicles, and we've all noticed marked improvements in rear main seal leaks (as have most customers). What kind of additives are responsible for this? Valvoline claims longer engine life, reduced deposits, and improved mileage. Is any of this attributable to it being a synthetic-conventional blend? In a related question, what advantage (if any) is there to running a blend like MaxLife or DuraBlend?

Finally, like most oil change places, we set reminder stickers to 3k miles or three months, whichever comes first. Usually, only one in twenty customers come in under that time, which I don't really see a problem with. I'm under the assumption that the 3k/3 mos thing is to get people in four times a year (at least) as opposed to once or twice. My question is, with synthetics that can easily surpass that mileage, can a standard oil filter keep up with it?

If you use the search function, I think you will find answers to every one of your questions.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: badtlc
If you use the search function, I think you will find answers to every one of your questions.

Stupid newbie!
06.gif

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Hang around and, do some reading. It'll open your eyes wide, answer all of your questions and you'll learn a lot.

+1
welcome2.gif

I can see one advantage to the 3000/3 month OCI. Since too many people don't check their vehicle and full serve gas stations are few and far between, its good that somebody looks at their tire pressures and fluid levels and drive belts.

MaxLife, someone correct me if I'm wrong, uses some slight seal swellers to stop the leaks. It's an excellent oil and I've used it in two leaking applications with great success. As for SynPower and M1 and Amsoil, they're all great and while I feel Amsoil is better than those two, I'd have a tough time picking between M1 and SynPower.

Valvoline oils, all of them, are excellent products. I wouldn't have a problem recommending them. Synpower better than M1? A lot of that is marketing, but Synpower IS a very good oil. Its too long a debate to get into (and get people stirred up over)

3k/3months is just for revenue generation. Most modern oils under most circumstances will go as long as 7500 miles, and generally here, people are comfortable with recommending them for 5k miles. I just did an 8k miles UOA on Formula Shell, and it did pretty good, considering it was over a Canadian winter:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1455583#Post1455583

There are others at this mileage, but I'm just giving you my first-hand experience.

I worked for a Wal-Mart lube shop for a year in 2007. Most oil companies are pretty adamand about: Use ONLY the grade of oil called for on the cap; and don't yu dare go over 3k miles on a change.

Valvoline is very good oil. No reason to recommend another brand over it, expecially since you work for Valvoline.

Valvoline has some great oils as do others like Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline, Pennzoil etc. You will get arguments all over the place as to which is better and why (Base oil, Additive package etc) many times it comes down to what your car likes and works well with.

HM (High Mileage) oils have seal conditioners in them that help soften hardened seals so they seal better. They also have a pretty good additive pack in them to help keep the engine clean.

3,000 mile oil change is a myth. Modern oils and filters can last longer than that now. I would say the standard now should be 5,000-7500 miles. But your shop would not make as much money if people did that.

I don't really see the point in blends. Either run Dino oil or Syn oil.

Last edited:
Modern base stocks are better but the real reason oil change intervals can go longer is from lead being removed from gasoline. For many the 3,000 mile oil change interval is a must because it is the only time the hood gets opened the tires aired and the fluids checked etc.

Nice to have someone who wants to learn about the products he is selling and steer his customers right! So many fast lube shop employees just push the corporate hype for maximum profits and over sell the customers. You'll learn plenty here.

welcome2.gif

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Modern base stocks are better but the real reason oil change intervals can go longer is from lead being removed from gasoline. For many the 3,000 mile oil change interval is a must because it is the only time the hood gets opened the tires aired and the fluids checked etc.

Indeed. For a lot of vehicles, we're the only maintenance they ever receive, and it shows.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Nice to have someone who wants to learn about the products he is selling and steer his customers right! So many fast lube shop employees just push the corporate hype for maximum profits and over sell the customers.

Yeah, the horror stories I've read about Jiffy Lubes really give us a bad name. There aren't too many fast lubes around here, so we don't have a hard time keeping the knowledgeable workers and weeding out the morons. Most of us either have years of experience working on cars, or even ASE certification. With the economy these days, a full-time job (even this one) is something to hang on to.

It's nice that your Valvoline Instant Oil Change Service Center offers other brands of oil. Hate to loose a customer just because you didn't carry another brand of oil.

It is good to see someone who actually cares about his job and wants to learn as much as possible. Good on you!

I second that^^^
thumbsup2.gif

As to your question about oil filters, which ones do you use...the Valvoline-branded ones, some no-name cheapo, or something else entirely? It's pretty much accepted here that just about any decent filter will go 5,000 miles.

i third that, and coherent too

lol TallPaul
grin2.gif
i also like Valv but i have PP 10W-30 in there now for the cleeen and the 62 vis at 40C

btw what happened to the pennzoil website? can't even access the product sheets anymore, which would help fastbird eventually

Welcome!!!

Folks from your line of work have a bad stereotype... Too many jiffy lube horror stories.

Great to see the practical insight you can share regarding success stories with maxlife, etc, and trust me, you'll be learning a lot too. It is really great to have you here, welcome!

I have to admit i have used platinum for the last 2 years in my focus and altima. I switched to synpower in both and there is a difference. The altima i think is slightly smoother and the focus is much smoother on 5w20 synpower. There was a harmonic sound in the engine at high revs that dissappeared immediately. I'm not sure if the Platinum changed their formula or not but the synpower seems to be helping my engines run smoother. I have always liked valvoline better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back