Questions about a '94 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if it has an intererence engine and how often the timing belt is required to be changed?

Originally Posted By: bepperb
IIRC they changed from a belt to a chain in 93~94.

Actually, they changed from a belt to a chain in 1998, as 1998 they went away from the AFE engines to the 1ZZ-FE.

Both the 4AFE and 7AFE in all previous gen Corollas are non interference, with timing belt intervals of 60,000 miles per the owners manual.

When I did my 94 at 140,000 miles though, the belt, with 60,000 miles, was still in perfect condition.

"Actually, they changed from a belt to a chain in 1998"

That sounds about right. I know it happened somewhere in there. I had a 91, and I remember someone with a newer one complaining that it wasn't as smooth because of the chain, Toyota is a bunch of idiots for switching... yada yada. You just can't win I guess.

Belts are quieter, don't know about smoother though. Chains definitely last longer.

And with a belt you don't have to seal the whole side of the engine against oil leaks.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Belts are quieter, don't know about smoother though. Chains definitely last longer.

+1

94 Corollas (4AFE and 7AFE engines) are non interference. Interval is 60k official but you can probably do longer if you can take the risk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back