Question with size of filter, Oil Cooler Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone.

Looking for everyone's opinion on my situation.

I have a 2018 Civic 1.5T that i am going to be road racing.
The oil filter is recessed in the back of the engine block pointed down towards the ground.

The sandwich plate is long to clear the block, and pushes the filter closer to the ground.
Now I cannot use a standard Honda filter, because it is too long.
I cut a hole in the metal access shroud, but it sticks too far out for comfort.

They send me a very small filter to work with this. Mitsubishi 1230A040.
The filter is only 55mm long, and my OEM is close to 85mm long.

I know i have seen forms about smaller filter is not that big of a deal, but is this TOO small (30mm reduction)?

To compare, OEM Honda Wix Filter is 57356 (86mm) this comparable one would be Wix 51365 (66mm).

Thank you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I would cut open the oil filter after the race and inspect it. The debris count is what matters.

Ok ill do that.
I assume that is just a visual check?

I apologize that I'm not familiar with the setup but it sounds like the oil cooler sandwich plate sits between the block and the oil filter, and that the sandwich plate directs the oil through a hose, a radiator type device, then back to the plate.

If that's accurate, why not get an oil filter bypass adapter, then you can remotely mount any size filter you like, and you can likely use the same hoses to run through the oil cooler? You could choose to use a much larger oil filter for increased oil capacity as well.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I can see that Edward C and I were thinking alike at the same time!

Great minds!
smile.gif

I was curious about the 1.5T engine, I found this video, looks like this would would great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNUj3r9HQEQ

I could use a remote setup, but the engine bay is so crammed as it is, it would be very hard for a remote setup.

The setup above you highlighted is very similar but it re-routes the oil filter. It is also very expensive. 700 for and oil filler kit. Now I know r&d goes behind it but I also dont like it because there are more fitting which means more possible leaks.

Below is a link to a new type r setup.
Mine is very similar.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/greddy-is-developing-some-cooling-mods-for-the-ctr.15468/

Main question, is going down to that small of a filter a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back