Question...used oil vs. tires ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without going into embarrassing detail, lets just say I made an oil change boo-boo and drove my car through a puddle of used oil. I discovered it a few hours later and washed the tires with a soapy solution best I could. Will this exposure lead to a premature death to the tires?

Nah..there's very few things that will decay a car tire, other than strong acids and UV radiation. Oil is just messy...not destructive.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
Without going into embarrassing detail, lets just say I made an oil change boo-boo and drove my car through a puddle of used oil. I discovered it a few hours later and washed the tires with a soapy solution best I could. Will this exposure lead to a premature death to the tires?

Yes, by my calculations it will take 2.27 miles and 3 minute 12 seconds off the life of your tires.
grin.gif

Tire rubber is pretty resistant to short term insults. As long as you washed it off, no problem. Had you not washed it off and just let it fling and wear off, you most likely would also not have noticed any difference in tire life, but you did the right thing.
cheers.gif

I'm pretty sure all the underhood and underchassis rubber on a modern automobile is designed to be motor oil resistant. That includes the tires.

Rest easy.

Diesel fuel is another kettle of fish. Seen that eat through the wrong rubber in a matter of hours.

quote:

Originally posted by Papa Bear:
I want to hear the embarrassing details ..
grin.gif

P.B.

Fair enough, I enjoy the stories here also. I changed the oil in the wife's Cavalier with 5 quarts of my T/A 10w30 stash. I left the used oil in the pan ( I know better ) in the garage so I could catch a ball game on tv. I forgot about the full pan and when I pulled the car in, it hit the pan and sloshed out about a quart of oil.
banghead.gif
I have collected the used oil with speedy dry to be properly disposed.

[ August 24, 2006, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: mikemc ]

Okay, everyone who hasn't done worse, raise your hand.

Anyone?

(checks watch...)

Anyone?

I thought so.

Don't even ask about the time I changed the oil in my wife's car and, after starting it up, noticed I hadn't put the filter on...

I ran over a new bottle of CLR (mostly organic acids) that was in my garage. When the plastic bottle burst, I coated most of the garage and my brand new Montana SV6. After wiping and rinsing everything I could see, I coated everything with bicarb. I am still finding rusted tools and damaged concrete. This was the only time that have had to really "pay" for having a messy garage. Clean acid from all of your stuff and you really begin to inventory.

I changed the oil in my mom's car a while ago. Got my brother to take it off the ramps because I was covered in oil. Forgot the bucket was still under the car as it was coming down off the ramps. 3 quarts of 4 quarts spilled, 1 plastic bucket was ruined and half a bag of cat litter was used to try to absorb the spilled oil.

I once accidently backed the right rear tire of my pickup right over the main housing of my chain saw. It made a horrible sound that was a combination of crunching and sproings. Ruined the housing and some minor parts. But I replaced the ruined parts and it ran just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back