Question re negative Fram Ultra Synthetic video.

So over the last few months on this site and through YouTube cutaway videos and so forth I've heard a lot of good things about the Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter. Basically saying Fram not only did something right but nearly perfect with it.

My car has higher mileage and I use Castrol 5-30 synthetic blend high mileage and I'm comfortable changing my oil every 5000 miles or a bit less. Even so I want a really decent filter and I started using Royal Purple.

Well after a few years I thought maybe that was a little bit pricey for the use I was getting out of them so I did some more research and started using Mobil 1 Extended Performance filters.

Then a few months ago I heard about Fram Ultra Synthetics and this oil change last month I slapped one of those on there. THEN I come across the video linked below.

So, after you take a look at it, what do you guys think? Is the way he figures things all off or does he have just some bone to pick with Fram or what the heck is going on, because he certainly seems to be a major minority opinion when it comes to the negative things he saying about the Fram US Filter.

At least I really hope he is because I was going to experiment with it and leave it in there after my next Oil Change and put 10k miles on it before I changed it out.
But if this guy is anywhere near close to what he's saying I'll just go back to Royal Purple and do that with it.

I'm also doing 3 oil analysis in a row with Blackstone to make sure everything's copasetic along the way.

https://youtu.be/s1lYhuUaSkk

No random person on YouTube is qualified to make this determination. My suggestion is that you ignore anything that idiot says and focus on what is the truth.

As an aside what do you hope to learn about the filter from your UOAs?

Lots of oil filter misinformed click bait squirrels posting YouTube videos that know very little. It looks like someone poured black paint down inside the center tube of that Fram ... could be this guy is a big Fram hater and doing some sketchy stuff. Or if it was something that happened during production, it's certainly not normal, and nobody here has ever reported something like that. In other videos he's made, he also cuts open the cans with a big grinder, which burns the media and then he claims it came that way.

Another way is buy ten Toyota filters from Connicelli Toyota on Ebay shipped for $34.50. Attach a new one each 5k change and don't think about it anymore.
cheers3.gif

I found the YouTube comparison of the filters interesting. However we have seen many Fram Ultras cut open on this site and never observed anything remotely similar to the video. I suppose the Cut Fram is real but, I really question his results on this sample of one. Ed

Last edited:
Hmm, his store is located in Harlan, Kentucky. It looks like someone bought that Fram Ultra oil filter, did something funny with it, and then returned it to the store. Perhaps they cleaned it with kerosene and then heated it, which caused the burnt areas. You can also see scratch marks all over it. That's not a brand-new oil filter. Disregard this video in its entirety.

YouTube.... try someone like filterficial (filter kingz) for a pretty reasonable comparison.

Originally Posted by kschachn
No random person on YouTube is qualified to make this determination. My suggestion is that you ignore anything that idiot says and focus on what is the truth.

As an aside what do you hope to learn about the filter from your UOAs?

Well I was curious to see if running the filter for an extended period of time would have any effect on any of the various values in my oil. A question I posed to Blackstone but have yet to hear back on.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Another way is buy ten Toyota filters from Connicelli Toyota on Ebay shipped for $34.50. Attach a new one each 5k change and don't think about it anymore.
cheers3.gif

...„ yeah, you're probably right. But where's the sport in that?

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Anybody who cuts a filter open with a side grinder has zero credibility.

Why is that?

People will do anything for attention these days, and that video is a prime example.

I've been using Fram Ultra filters across my fleet for years, never had a single issue.

OH.......HIM !!!!! First off, that guy is a Charlton. Before I even looked at the link I said to myself , could it be HIM ??? Yep. He started out doing GDI decarbon spray fluid testing. When watch his videos, you would see mechanical chipping away of carbon. Reuse of video or pictures, and use of his $35 bore scope as the picture source, but ending up looking like a perfect high quality pictures that just came off a iPhone or high end Android. He's taking picture of pulled junkyard heads since you can catch the machined surface of the where the intake manifold goes here and there on his videos. You cant trust his outcomes, he is a Fake News manufacturer.

First off we don't know were he bought the Fram, probably off the internet and it could be a China knockoff. Do we know from say a Walmart bought Fram Ultra, does Fram use black glue? It very well could be a actual Fram built filter, but knowing this Charlton he bought it of the internet and we need to look farther then take his findings.

Back