Question - PAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a question. I use google translate. You know what to use in PAO oils, but those that are based on 100% plus additives. There is information on the internet that you need to add esters, etc., but I wrote with the oil manufacturer: https://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/36022-meguin-megol-super-leichtlauf-driver-0w- 40 svezhee /

And claims that there is no need, because there are other technologies. Do you know what? This oil is based only on PAO as a base oil.

Greetings

Once again: esters must be added to PAO oils, AN. Due to the solubility of the additives and the impurities, there is poor lubrication. In this oil above there are no esters etc. only pure PAO. There are other technologies, do you know what?

Are you asking if that particular oil needs some form of additive? I'd say no. It looks like a quality oil.

If you are asking "is PAO the best? " I'd say that there are technologies today that produce quality oils that are exceedingly robust, with all the properties needed for use in in applications as demanding as turbocharged race car engines.

These are the effects of using Google translator. There is a lot of PAO oils, but manufacturers add esters. And in the case of Meguin it is an exception.

He is asking what detergent technology is that Meguin oil using...since it is, 100% PAO....and he is, reading (here on BITOG?) that PAO alone doesnt have decent detergent capabilities...

Originally Posted by DanteA1989
Hi, I have a question. I use google translate. You know what to use in PAO oils, but those that are based on 100% plus additives. There is information on the internet that you need to add esters, etc., but I wrote with the oil manufacturer: https://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/36022-meguin-megol-super-leichtlauf-driver-0w- 40 svezhee /

And claims that there is no need, because there are other technologies. Do you know what? This oil is based only on PAO as a base oil.

Greetings

Esters or some group II/III bases are added to serve as additive carrier because PAO itself is a poor additive carrier.

I can't imagine this Megiun oil being any different in that respect.

In Germany, only such oils are described as a full synthetic. The base oil must be 100% PAO and additives. Additive packages are now ready with mineral oil. After that, IR Spectrum from the Russian laboratory confirmed this. There are no esters in this oil. The producer confirmed.

Last edited:
In Germany, only such oils are described as a full synthetic. The base oil must be 100% PAO and additives. Additive packages are now ready with mineral oil. After that, IR Spectrum from the Russian laboratory confirmed this. There are no esters in this oil. The producer confirmed.

Are you sure about the oil having to be 100% PAO synthetic? Some have said that total the synthetic content had to be> 60% synthesized hydrocarbons.

Synthetic Alkylated Naphthalenes are API group V oils so that should count as a synthetic base oil and they offer enhanced solubility and oxidation resistance.

I sure would like to see a translated document from Germany that states exactly what the requirements are for a formulated oil to be considered "synthetic."

Yes, definitely. This law has been in force in Germany for many years. As I wrote, the base oil must consist of PAO, in addition to the base oil in the additive package. But there are no esters in this oil, AN, PAG etc.

https://www.it-recht-kanzlei.de/bgh-vollsynthetisches-motorenoel.html

Thanks.

No, it doesn't say that it must contain only PAO.

Translated it said:
and Class IV and V consist of fully synthetic oils. Class IV and V lubricants are considered to be particularly powerful and durable, but are also significantly more expensive than the other products due to the complex manufacturing process.

So they consider synthetic oils to consist of any synthesized base that oil that falls into API categories IV (PAO) and any synthesized base oil that falls under Group V and or a mixture thereof of Group IV and V's .

Last edited:
The TDS shows 50-70% PAO, plus 1-2.5% of a mixture that contains 0-Bis Ester

@MolaKule Exactly. This only applies to base oil or PAO or esters etc.

Anyone know what can be used instead of esters?

Last edited:
MSDS shows only base oils that have a kinematic viscosity below 20 mm2 / s. Hazardous substances, and this additive is not an ester. As I wrote, IR Spectrum and confirms the PAO content without esters.

@MolaKule Exactly. This only applies to base oil or PAO or esters etc.

Anyone know what can be used instead of esters?

I think you still have a slight misunderstanding about what I said about the German Court decision.

As I stated above
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Synthetic Alkylated Naphthalenes are API group V [synthesized] oils so that should count as a synthetic base oil and they offer enhanced solubility and oxidation resistance.

Any other synthesized base oil that falls into Group V also counts.

Last edited:
You're right. But Meguin says he doesn't use esters, AN etc. that there are other technologies.

Of course which is why I said, "Any other synthesized base oil that falls into Group V also counts."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back