Question - PAO

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AN you mentioned would be Alkylated Naphthalene, a group V product. Exxon-Mobil uses AN in their oils that are formulated with PAO as the base oil. They use the AN as the additive carrier to hold the additives in solubility. But as you said, very often such an oil will use ester as the additive carrier. One example of an Exxon-Mobil oil using PAO and AN was Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40 for four stroke motorcycles. It was quite a blend. It had Group IV (PAO), Group III, possibly some of Exxon Mobil's exclusive (at that time) VISOM group III+ (Fawley, U.K. production facility). So that oil was a Group III+, IV, and V blend. AN being the group V component.

Originally Posted by DanteA1989
So what base oil? We have esters, AN, OSP.

Are you asking what other Group V base oils could be in Meguin?

Yes. Because I don't know others and they say they don't use it.

Let me get this straight - Meguin won't tell you what other Group V base oils they use but you want us to tell you what they might be using?

Do you have a semester or two to spend taking courses in Advanced Organic and Physical chemistry at a local university?

Last edited:
I'm thinking, and I may be wrong, that the majority of synthetic motor oils nowadays lack esters of any sort and may have a minimum of PAO if any. I believe along with you that different technologies are used for the additive packages to add polarity and other additives. America doesn't have the labeling requirements that Germany does so they can put anything in the bottle and call it synthetic without ramification. If you want some ester other than AN I think Ravenol has a couple grades that contain it otherwise you are shooting craps as far as contents in a bottle and labeling requirements.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

Let me get this straight - Meguin won't tell you what other Group V base oils they use but you want us to tell you what they might be using?

Do you have a semester or two to spend taking a courses in Advanced Organic and Physical chemistry at a local university?

I don't believe they will say. It's a secret after all. But I'm just wondering what else can be used.

I haven't studied.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

Do you have a semester or two to spend taking a courses in Advanced Organic and Physical chemistry at a local university?

I don't believe they will say. It's a secret after all. But I'm just wondering what else can be used.

I haven't studied.

31.gif

You are going to get the minimum of PAO and a trace of esters in any top of the line oil...they just don't care about what you want that much. They meet the spec (most of the time), and then see where they can cut. back to make more money.

Sometimes they let it rip and don't care - just for bragging rights.

Motul 800 2T

They did not even bother to verify and certify it with any approvals.....just stated it exceeds any standards. - and they are right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Boomer
Wir verstehen sie nicht. Diese Frage ist nicht klar.

OK Boomer!

Sorry, I just always wanted to say that!
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back